Monday, February 11, 2008

Episode 14

SEAN is in his room waiting for Centaur DWAYNE to arrive. He is on the phone with his fraternity brother, DR. MWATSUMI.

SEAN - No sir, I haven't spoken with him.

DR. MWATSUMI - Sean you really need to my brother. I can't fend for you forever.

SEAN - I know sir, and I appreciate all that you have done.

DR. MWATSUMI - Sean, I don't think you do.

SEAN - Huh?

DR. MWATSUMI - Sean, you messed up your grades last semester. That's the bottom line.

SEAN - But that was because of...

DR. MWATSUMI - I know why Sean, it was because of line. I know that. You know that. Your professors know that. But Sean, what are excuses?

(SEAN laughs.)

DR. MWATSUMI - I'm not laughing at all Sean. Excuses are tools of the incompetent. Now I have put my job on the line too many times for Iota. I didn't wish to become a brother of Iota to lose my job Sean. For all intents and purposes, you should receive an F in that class. But because your professor is a faculty friend of mine, he is allowing you to make up the classes, provided you write the make up assignments and go see him. And you refuse to go.

SEAN - It isn't that I refuse to go sir, it's just that I've been busy.

DR. MWATSUMI - Busy? Busy doing what Sean? Pledging Mark and Dwayne? Is that more important than graduating Sean?

SEAN - No sir, but did you hear about Mark?

DR. MWATSUMI - No, what about him?

SEAN - Colin, he left the pledge process.

DR. MWATSUMI - He what?
SEAN - He is dropping line.

DR. MWATSUMI - He can't do that. He knows he can't do that.

SEAN - Well he's done it.

DR. MWATSUMI - But what I'm explaining is that he cannot do that. Does he realize that we are under the microsope of the administration both at Ahpla and Amgis? If he drops off of our line, I don't even care to think what the repurcussions would be.

SEAN - I know sir. I tried to talk to him but he just...

(There is a knock on SEAN's door.)

SEAN - Hold on brother, there's someone here to see me.

DR. MWATSUMI - Sean I'll let you go now. I have a phone call to make and I know you have things to handle.

SEAN - Okay. I'll call you if anything changes.

DR. MWATSUMI - Please update me.

(They hang up.)

SEAN thinks - I hope this is Mark so we can talk.

(SEAN opens the door and its CENTAUR DWAYNE.)

SEAN - Come in. Why are you late?

CENTAUR DWAYNE - My apologies, I was trying to convince Cent...I mean Mark to come with me.

SEAN - Where is he?

CENTAUR DWAYNE - I don't know Big Brother, he just walked away.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TIA is in CAMILLE's room using her computer and watching tv.

TIA - Ha ha ha, so let me get this straight. Tell me again!

CAMILLE - Girl I kicked his ass out! He gonna be up in my room, clearly lookin' at her ass. And then get to stutterin'! You know how they do!

(TIA laughs.)

CAMILLE - Duh...duh...duh...

(TIA laughs harder.)

CAMILLE - He must think I'm a fool.

TIA - Oh my God that is funny! So has he called you or anything?

CAMILLE- Has he? Girl Frank calls me every hour! I got him wrapped around my finger.

TIA - You are crazy!

CAMILLE - No I ain't. I'm practical.

TIA - Practical?
CAMILLE - Check it, the nigga know he in trouble right?
TIA - Right?
CAMILLE - So I stretch it out a little. Play mad. I mean I was pissed, but why not put him through it a little. Ya know?
TIA - Uh huh.

CAMILLE - Then he starts to kiss my butt. He wants to take me to the movies, out to eat, he'll probably buy me flowers or something.

(TIA laughs.)

TIA - Yeah.

CAMILLE - Which is stuff he should be doin' in the first place. So I'll take the stuff, he'll get back in on my good side, then he'll probably mess up again and the cycle starts over. Dumb ass.

(TIA laughs.)

TIA - You are nuts!

CAMILLE - It's how you play the game soror. Just playin' the game.

TIA - But why games?

CAMILLE - Because men have been playin' games for years. Why can't we?

TIA - Good point.

(TIA types something.)

TIA - I don't know if I could do that though. You know I'm shy.

CAMILLE - Girl please, you got it in ya. Just need to bring it out.

TIA - Whatever.

CAMILLE - Seriously. Who was that guy that you liked?

TIA - What guy?

CAMILLE - The dude from your class or something, or maybe he was the same major as you, I don't remember. You know, that tall dude.

TIA - Ahmad?

CAMILLE - Yeah, that's him. He's a Sigma now right?

TIA - Yeah, what about him?

CAMILLE - You tell me. What's up with him?

TIA - I don't know. He doesn't notice me.

CAMILLE - Doesn't he speak whenever he sees you?

TIA - Well of course.

CAMILLE - And doesn't he give you real long hugs?

TIA - Well yeah.

CAMILLE - So you need to push up on that then.

TIA - Oh no!

CAMILLE - Why not? He's a cutie.

TIA - He's not a cutie. He's fine!

CAMILLE - Does he have a girl?

TIA - I don't think so. I never see him with anyone in particular.

CAMILLE - Girl please! You better push up on him then! You got his number?

TIA - No!

CAMILLE - You got his email address?

(TIA thinks about it.)

CAMILLE - Yeah you got it! You got it!

(TIA laughs.)

CAMILLE - Okay good, let's send him an email right now!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CENTAUR DWAYNE has finally arrived in SEAN's room at Ahpla University. Neither knows where MARK is.

(SEAN holds his head in his hands.)

SEAN - Dwayne, how could you let him leave like that?

CENTAUR DWAYNE - Let him leave? Big Brother he wouldn't stay for me. See what happened was...

SEAN - What are excuses?

(DWAYNE straightens up.)

CENTAUR DWAYNE - Excuses are tools of the incompetent, they build...

SEAN - Alright alright. So Mark was your responsibility. You were supposed to look out for him. And you didn't.

CENTAUR DWAYNE - I...I...I didn't know he was my respon...I mean he's so much more confident than I am Big Brother.

SEAN - Dwayne, you have to feed off one another. Where you're weak, he may be strong. And where he is weak, you have to carry your brother. What do you think this whole thing is about anyway? It's not about wearing letters or putting on the brown and gold. It's about brotherhood. You think Colin and I were a perfect match as line brothers? He can't do all that physical stuff and my brain aint nowhere near his. So he helped me with all the mind games and I helped him get through all the physical. That's what it's about Dwayne. Brotherhood is what Iota is about.

CENTAUR DWAYNE - Yes Big Brother.

SEAN - Now this is what I want yoyu to do. I want you to call Mark and convince him to come back.

CENTAUR DWAYNE - But...

SEAN - Just do it Dwayne. And hold on...

(SEAN gets up and walks over to his phone. He picks it up and hands it to DWAYNE.)

SEAN - Use my phone. If he sees my number on his caller id, he'll probably pick it up faster then if he sees your number calling.

CENTAUR DWAYNE - Yes Big Brother Brown Illusion Gold Confusion.

(DWAYNE dials.)

(MARK's phone rings and he looks at the caller id.)

MARK thinks - Sean.

(He doesn't answer. He is packing all of his pledge gear and items into a box.)

MARK thinks - I don't feel like hearing from any of them right now. Those are the last people I wanna hear from right now.

(He takes his box and places it by his door.)

MARK thinks - I'm just glad Kevin ain't home. I don't know how I'm gonna break the news to him.

(silence)

(MARK gets up and goes out of his room. He looks at KEVIN's door which is closed. KEVIN has a small Iota Phi Theta paddle dangling from his doorknob. MARK walks toward the door and picks up the paddle. He stares at it, then quietly opens KEVIN's door.)

MARK thinks - Damn man, I still kinda want this...but...it ain't worth all the bullshit.

(MARK walks in the room. He looks at a picture on KEVIN's dresser. It's of KEVIN's first trip to the Philly Greek picnic. There are a lot of Iota brothers in the picture.)

MARK thinks - That shit is probably mad fun.

(There is a knock on the door.)

MARK thinks - Oh shit!

(He quietly but quickly leaves KEVIN's room and closes the door. He then looks through the peephole.)

MARK thinks - Dammit!

DR. MWATSUMI - Open the door Mark. I know you're in there.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sigma women JENNIFER and ROSALIND are driving to see ALEXIS cross. They see Iota brothers MALCOLM and KEVIN first though.

JENNIFER - I don't believe Dwayne at all! The Iotas aint about stealing no chick's panties. I could see if the Ques made him do it. That isn't like the Iotas here at all. So unless they tell me that they gave their pledgees that assignment, I aint believin' it!

ROSALIND - Well there's no better time than the present to find out the truth.

JENNIFER - Huh?

ROSALIND - There goes Malcolm and Kevin right there walking! Let's pull over and ask em!

JENNIFER - Yeah! That's what I'm talkin' bout! Pull over!

ROSALIND - Well just make it quick, we gotta hurry up.

JENNIFER - Okay.

(ROSALIND pulls over.)

JENNIFER - Hey Kevin! Kevin!

(KEVIN turns around and waves. He and MALCOLM walk over.)

KEVIN - What's up Jenn. Hey Ros.

ROSALIND - Hey.

JENNIFER - Hey guys, I got a quick question for yall.

KEVIN - What's up?

JENNIFER -How's my boy doin'?

MALCOLM - Who Dwayne? I'm gonna kick his ass all up and down the yard.

(Everyone laughs.)

JENNIFER - Shut up Malcolm!

MALCOLM - I'm just kidding girl.

KEVIN - Dwayne is doing fine. So is Mark.

JENNIFER - Good good. They're handling all their assignments?

(KEVIN looks at MALCOLM and laughs.)

KEVIN - Yeah. They aight.

JENNIFER - Okay one more question.

KEVIN - Uh huh.

(KEVIN leans on the car.)

JENNIFER - Did yall give Dwayne and Mark an assignment to do a panty raid?

KEVIN - A what!

JENNIFER - A panty raid. Steal girl's panties.

(KEVIN starts laughing loudly.)

MALCOLM - Yeah, we told them to do that. They're supposed to collect a whole bunch of thongs for the bruhs.

(MALCOLM smiles.)

ROSALIND - Yall did?

MALCOLM - Yep.

JENNIFER - Okay, just wanted to check. We gotta run, we'll holla at yall later. Come on Ros.

ROSALIND - But..

JENNIFER - Let's go. We can't be late.

(ROSALIND looks confused but waves good bye to the guys and drives off.)

(silence)

ROSALIND - I can't believe they actually told the pledgees to do that. That's crazy!

JENNIFER - Ros, they didn't tell them that. They were lying.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CAMILLE - You got Ahmad's email address?

(TIA thinks about it.)

CAMILLE - Yeah you got it! You got it!

(TIA laughs.)

CAMILLE - Okay good, let's send him an email right now!

TIA - I don't know Tia, that might not be a good idea.

CAMILLE - What are you talkin' about? It's a great idea. You sure you got his address?

TIA - Yeah, I got it. Hold on.

(TIA reaches into her bag and pulls out her phone book.)

TIA - Uh...okay here it is. A_new_blue@amgis.edu.

CAMILLE - Good. Okay set it up and type while I dictate.

TIA - Oh God!

CAMILLE - You ready?

TIA - Yeah, I'm ready.

CAMILLE - Okay. Dear Ahmad...

TIA - This sounds corny already! Ha ha ha!

CAMILLE - Wait, it'll get better. Dear Ahmad. Every time I see you, I wanna get butt nekkid and do the freak nasty...

TIA - What!

(They both laugh.)

CAMILLE - I'm just kiddin'. Okay, seriously.

TIA - Uh huh.

CAMILLE - Hey this is Tia. How are ya? I haven't seen you on the yard in a few so I thought I'd say hello. Congrats on crossing Phi Beta Sigma. I got a crossing gift for you that I've been carrying around...

TIA - I don't have a crossing gift.

CAMILLE - Hush and keep typing.

(TIA rolls her eyes but smiles.)

CAMILLE - I got a crossing gift for ya that I've been carrying around, but I haven't seen you on the yard in forever. So I was wonderring if you and I could get together. We could meet up at the flag pole, I could give you your gift, and then maybe we can hang out. Maybe grab a bite to eat.

TIA thinks - Oh gosh!

CAMILLE - Please hit me back. I'll be on the yard late this evening in practice.

TIA - Practice? What practice?

CAMILLE - Well you hush and keep typing.

TIA - This is crazy! Go head.

CAMILLE - I'll be on the yard in practice. If you can meet me, meet me at seven thirty tonight at the flag pole. Lookin' forward to seeing you. Lady T.

TIA - Lady T? Good Lord!

CAMILLE - Okay read it back to me.

(TIA sighs.)

TIA - Hey this is Tia. How are ya? I haven't seen you on the yard in a few so I thought I'd say hello. Congrats on crossing Phi Beta Sigma. I got a crossing gift for ya that I've been carrying around, but I haven't seen you on the yard in forever. So I was wonderring if you and I could get together. We could meet up at the flag pole, I could give you your gift, and then maybe we can hang out. Maybe grab a bite to eat. Please hit me back. I'll be on the yard late this evening in practice. I'll be on the yard in practice. If you can meet me, meet me at seven thirty tonight at the flag pole. Lookin' forward to seeing you. Lady T.

CAMILLE - Perfect! Okay send it!

(TIA hesitates.)

TIA - Camille...

CAMILLE - Move!

(CAMILLE pushes TIA over and sends the email.)

CAMILLE - Don't ya feel better now?

TIA - No!

CAMILLE - You will at seven thirty! Now come on!

TIA - Where are we going?

CAMILLE - We gotta go get Ahmad a crossing gift!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(ROSALIND looks confused but waves good bye to the guys and drives off.)

ROSALIND - I can't believe they actually told the pledgees to do that. That's crazy!

JENNIFER - Ros, they didn't tell them that. They were lying.

ROSALIND - What?

JENNIFER - You didn't notice Kevin's reaction? He was lying. He didn't know what the hell we were talking about. I knew Dwayne was lying!

ROSALIND - Damn. So where do you think Dwayne got them from?

JENNIFER - I don't know.

(silence)

JENNIFER - I really can't imagine him cheating on me.

ROSALIND - But you know how half these chicks on campus are. They feel sorry for guys pledging and will do anything for em.

JENNIFER - Thanks a lot Ros.

(ROSALIND laughs.)

ROSALIND - I'm sorry Jenn. But like you said, Dwayne isn't the type to get into stuff like that. So I wouldn't worry, but I don't know.

JENNIFER - It just doesn't add up. That's all. So I really don't know what to do about it.

ROSALIND - Yeah, well for now you need to put it out of your head. We got business to take care of with Alexis.

JENNIFER - Yeah.

(ROSALIND wants to change the subject.)

ROSALIND - So what do you think is gonna happen tonight?

JENNIFER - With Alexis?

ROSALIND - Yeah.

JENNIFER - Girl I don't know. I know its definitely time to get her off line. She's been on forever!

ROSALIND - Well the good thing is that once she's in, we can start building that chapter up so we can make sure this doesn't happen again. Ya know?

JENNIFER - Yeah. That's true.

(JENNIFER checks her watch.)

JENNIFER - We'd better hurry, it's been almost an hour since you first called me.

ROSALIND - Yeah I know, I'm driving as fast as I can.

(ROSALIND drives faster and they arrive, seeing PAULA's car.)

JENNIFER - This is it! Let's go!

(They jump out of the car.)

ROSALIND - You don't know how long I've been waiting for this!

JENNIFER - You? Imagine how long Alexis has been waiting!

ROSALIND - Yeah! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

(ROSALIND and JENNIFER hurry up the hill and can see their sorors in the distance.)

JENNIFER - There they are.

ROSALIND - I wonder if they've gotten started already.

(They pick the pace up to a jog until they run up right behind CANDACE and PAULA who are hugging ALEXIS.)

ROSALIND - Hey sorors.

(CANDACE turns around.)

CANDACE - Hey ladies. Let me holla at yall real quick.

(ROSALIND and JENNIFER follow CANDACE to the side. They are both confused.)

JENNIFER - What's goin' on?

CANDACE - I'm glad yall were able to make it through. But we were pressured to start with Alexis and we were trying to wait. We really tried but soror Andy was on our case so we had to get started.

ROSALIND - Wait a minute! Don't tell me Alexis already crossed...without us?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7:41 pm....Amgis' Yard...Flag Pole

TIA - He's not coming.

CAMILLE - Maybe he's a few minutes late. He'll be here.

TIA - Naw, he's not coming. Come on Camille, let's go.

CAMILLE - No. Give him a few more minutes.

TIA - I don't wanna wait a few more minutes.

CAMILLE - Tia, you like this guy right?

TIA - I mean, I guess so.

CAMILLE - No, you do. If you didn't, you wouldnt've typed that email in the first place. So just wait okay?

(TIA sighs and looks around.)

(silence)

TIA - Maybe he didn't get the email. Maybe he doesn't even know I'm out here.

CAMILLE - Trust me, he got it.

TIA - How can you be so sure.

CAMILLE - People go online all the time to check their email. Look at how many computers are all over campus. If he has an Amgis email account, he can check it from any computer around here. He got it.

TIA - Then where is he?

CAMILLE - Just calm down alright? Be patient.

TIA - I can't Camille. Look, I appreciate what you're trying to do, but I'm not like you. I'm nervous, my hands are sweaty, and my heart is about to fly through my chest. So do me a favor.

CAMILLE - Sure Tia, what?

TIA - Let me go home. If you wanna wait a few more minutes, that's fine. But this anticipation is killing...

CAMILLE - Wait wait, who's that walking up?

(TIA turns around and is speechless.)

SETH - Hey...uh you're Tia right?

TIA - Uh...yeah.

(SETH smiles.)

SETH - Sorry I'm so late, but I just got your email.

No comments: