Monday, February 11, 2008

Episode 31

MALCOLM forcefully opens the door and throws his gym bag inside.

MALCOLM - Damn!

(He slams the door behind himself.)

MALCOLM - Damn! Shit!

(He turns on the lights and looks around. He notices that he has messages on his answering machine. He walks over and presses play.)

ANSWERING MACHINE - You have two new messages... first message... Bro! What the fuck are you doin'? Man you made an ass of yourself at the game! This is Kevin! Frat what the hell were you thinki...

(MALCOLM erases that message and goes to the next.)

ANSWERING MACHINE - second message... Hey Malcolm, this is June. I um was just wondering if you knew why Buck wasn't in the game. I haven't seen him and I don't think he has his cell phone on him because it is going right to voice mail. Give me a call and let me know if you know what's up. My number is nine five...

(MALCOLM saves the message. He picks up the phone and calls KEVIN.)

KEVIN - Dude, what's up!

MALCOLM - What's up bro.

KEVIN - What the hell? Ha ha ha ha ha! Man, what the hell happened in the game?

MALCOLM - I had a bad night, that's all.

KEVIN - A bad night? Nigga, I could've gotten four of my little cousins to get on the floor with me and beat yall the way yall played! Got damn!

MALCOLM - Shut up aight? I know we sucked tonight but I'm just not in the mood aight?

KEVIN - Whatever, why were you taking all those stupid ass shots?

MALCOLM - I had good looks at the basket so that's what I do.

KEVIN - You could've done better if you were blindfolded and taking shots! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

MALCOLM - Shut up man! Shit!

KEVIN - I'm sayin' though. Bruh, you my man and all but shit! What happened to Buck?

MALCOM - Fuck bitch ass Buck! I took his spot, that's what the fuck happened to Buck!

KEVIN - Well give it back nigga! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

(KEVIN continues laughing louder.)

(CLICK)

(MALCOLM slams the phone down on KEVIN.)

MALCOLM - Asshole.

(He sits on his bed and starts to take off his shoes.)

MALCOLM thinks - This is some bullshit! Damn, I know we lost, but people actin' like I'm the whole team! It wasn't just me who lost the game, the fuckin' team lost the game so why is everybody trippin' on me?

(He throws his shoes into his closet.)

MALCOLM thinks - And damn, that NBA rep was probably up in that piece too!

(He waits a second and then pounds his fist on the bed.)

MALCOLM - That damn Dwayne! He couldn't even take care of one easy assignment! Shit! How hard could it have been!

(silence)

(He picks up his phone and dials KEVIN again.)

KEVIN - How you gonna hang up on me man? Bruh!

MALCOLM - Shut the hell up. Is the Centaur there?

KEVIN - Of course he's here. He has to study and this is his study night. Because you know what he has goin' on this weekend.

MALCOLM - Put him on the phone.

KEVIN - What? I can't. This is his study time.

MALCOLM - Nigga, put that motherfucker on the phone!

KEVIN - Ha ha ha ha, aight aight, hold on.

(KEVIN puts the phone down and walks out of his bedroom. He then knocks on DWAYNE's bedroom door. DWAYNE quickly rushes and opens the door.)

CENTAUR DWAYNE - Yes Big Broth...

KEVIN - Telephone. It's your big brother Stupid Jumpshot! Ha ha ha ha ha!

CENTAUR DWAYNE thinks - Huh?

(He follows KEVIN and grabs the phone as KEVIN hands it to him.)

CENTAUR DWAYNE - Hello?

MALCOLM - This is Malcolm. Get your ass over to my place and be here in ten minutes!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ANDY is laying across her bed watching tv. Her phone rings.

ANDY - Hello?

PAULA - Hey wassup?

ANDY - Hey Paula, what's goin' on?

PAULA - Bout to be out. Just got ready. What's your status?

ANDY - Status? Status for what? Where you goin'?

PAULA - What? The Que party. Come on girl, get it in gear.

ANDY - Que party? I aint goin' to no Que party.

PAULA - What! Andy get up off your ass and come on!

ANDY - I don't wanna go.

PAULA - Why not? Everybody on campus is goin'. That mess is about to be off the hook girl, come on!

ANDY - And that's the exact reason I don't wanna go. I aint tryin' to see the same fools I gotta see every single day walking across the yard! I just wanna chill tonight and spend a quiet evening at home.

PAULA - You got a dude comin' over or something?

ANDY - Why I gotta have a dude coming over? Can't a sister spend a quiet evening alone by herself?

PAULA - Hell no. I'll be over there in five minutes to pick you up so be dressed and ready.

ANDY - But I'm not...

(CLICK)

ANDY - Paula! Dag!

(She hangs the phone up and rolls over.)

ANDY - Aaaaaaaaaahhh! That crazy chick never takes no for an answer and she's gonna harass me and get on my nerves til I go. Dag!

(She lays on her back staring at the ceiling. She looks at her watch.)

ANDY thinks - Maybe I'll go for like five minutes. And then leave. She can stay there and party all night for all I care. But I just aint in the mood tonight.

(She plops herself up and goes into her closet.)

ANDY thinks - Now I gotta find something to wear... Lord!

(She pulls out a simple sweatshirt and some jeans.)

ANDY thinks - This is gonna have to do!

(She puts the jeans on and then sits back on the bed watching tv.)

ANDY thinks - Man I don't feel like going to no crazy Que house! Especially with a lot of people up in there!

(She falls back on the bed and stares at the ceiling again.)

ANDY thinks - Actually, I may have to cancel out on Paula, I mean dag I just don't feel lik...

(There is a knock on the door. ANDY sits up.)

ANDY - Dag girl, you did get here in five minutes!

(She pulls the sweatshirt over her head and gets up to answer the door.)

ANDY - Hey wassup.

(PAULA stares at ANDY.)

PAULA - Oh heeeeeeeeell no!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MALCOLM is on the phone with CENTAUR DWAYNE.

MALCOLM - This is Malcolm. Get your ass over to my place and be here in ten minutes!

CENTAUR DWAYNE - But... but... Big Brother Double Dribble, I thought this was my study time?

MALCOLM - I don't haze you to think! Get over here!

(CLICK)

MALCOLM thinks - I can probably jump in the shower real quick before that fool gets here. I wasn't about to take a shower with the team cuz them niggas...

(The phone rings.)

MALCOLM - Hello.

CENTAUR DWAYNE - Uh... Big Brother, uh... I just wanted to verify... um... if you really wanted me to... um... I mean, I was supposed to be studying I thought.

MALCOLM - If you don't... if you're not here in nine minutes, you die! Is that more clear?

(CLICK)

MALCOLM thinks - Fool!

(MALCOLM throws off his sweatshirt and goes into the bathroom. He turns the water on and gets undressed.)

MALCOLM thinks - Damn, coach is gonna kill my ass. But at least Buck was AWOL. That makes me not look as bad.

(MALCOLM quickly showers.)

MALCOLM thinks - And damn, that one shot I took that I missed, coach was mad about that shit! Damn! It flew all the way into the crowd into the second row!

(There is a knock on the door.)

MALCOLM thinks - That's that fool Dwayne.

(He wraps a towel around his waist and goes out to open the door.)

MALCOLM - What took you so long?

(DWAYNE is breathing heavy from running.)

CENTAUR DWAYNE - I ran as... as fas... fast as I could...

MALCOLM - Come in.

(DWAYNE follows MALCOLM inside.)

MALCOLM - What's that?

CENTAUR DWAYNE - I thought... I thought I'd bring my books... just in case I got a chance to study.

MALCOLM - Did I tell you too.... you know what, since you seem to want so much knowledge, hold your books over your head and I'll be right back.

(DWAYNE quickly holds his books over high over his head.)

MALCOLM - Do you realize how pissed off I am at you?

CENTAUR DWAYNE - No Big Brother Double Dribble.

MALCOLM - Its your fault that you didn't find that NBA scout! And he was there, I know he was. How hard could it be? Spot the old ass man!

CENTAUR DWAYNE - I'm sorry Big Brother Double Dribble.

MALCOLM - Stop being so sorry! Sorry aint gonna get me a contract!

(silence)

MALCOLM - Hold those books higher! I'll be right back!

(MALCOLM grabs his clothes off his bead and goes into the bathroom. He slams the door.)

MALCOLM thinks - Damn fool!

(He finishes drying off and gets dressed.)

MALCOLM thinks - This fool is such an idiot! I don't know how he got this far on line anyway! He's the one that should've dropped line, not Mark.

(He opens the door and comes out. By this time, DWAYNE has worked up a sweat just from holding the books over his head.)

MALCOLM - Tired yet?

CENTAUR DWAYNE - Uh... no... Big Brother... Double... Dribble.

MALCOLM - Oh okay, I was gonna let you put it down. But since you aren't tired, go ahead and keep holding your knowledge up. Ha ha ha ha ha.

CENTAUR DWAYNE thinks - Damn!

MALCOLM - Do you know how important that game was for me Dwayne? I mean, do you have any idea?

CENTAUR DWAYNE - Yes Big Brother Double Dribble!

MALCOLM - Pledgee, when you couldn't find that NBA scout, that just sunk my heart. I tried to play directional to where he was sitting. But for me not to know where he was, that messed my game up you know what I'm sayin'?

CENTAUR DWAYNE - Yes Big Brother Double Dribble!

MALCOLM - We not only lost the game, but I probably don't have a chance in hell now in getting recruited. Do you know what that's like?

(DWAYNE's arms are shaking.)

MALCOLM - That's like going to college to get to law school, and then the day that the law school recruiters come, you oversleep and miss the whole day. And that one day was it. That was your shot at life after college. Do you know how that makes me feel man?

(DWAYNE doesn't answer.)

MALCOLM - You okay? Getting tired huh?

CENTAUR DWAYNE - It's just that... this textbook is kinda heavy, and my... breathing is...

MALCOLM - Oh okay.... it's heavy huh? Well put it down...

CENTAUR DWAYNE thinks - Thank God!

MALCOLM - And give me some pushups.

CENTAUR DWAYNE thinks - Damn!

MALCOLM - You look a little out of shape. Come on, knock some push ups out!

(DWAYNE gets down in push up position. He is sweating and his arms are very tired. He is breathing heavy as well.)

MALCOLM - You're in bad shape. Pledging hasn't tightened you up yet?

CENTAUR DWAYNE - No Big Brother, I just have a hard time... catching my... breath at... times.

MALCOLM - Yeah oh well, I'll cure it.

(DWAYNE starts to slowly do push ups. MALCOLM grabs his remote and turns on his television. He turns on ESPN.)

MALCOLM - Oooh look, NBA shit. Where I should be playin'. If it wasn't for you, I might've been! Keep pushing!

CENTAUR DWAYNE - Yes Big... Brother Dou... Drib...

MALCOLM - Damn fool! Oh look, Kevin Garnett scored thirty two points tonight, and how many did I score? Huh? How many?

CENTAUR DWAYNE - You... only scored...

MALCOLM - Damn, look at that dunk! Damn he gets above the rim! I gotta work on that, and look at that ball rotation. I need to probably start to...

(MALCOLM notices that DWAYNE isn't doing push ups anymore. He's resting on the floor on his stomach.)

MALCOLM - Hey! Hey! No resting! I didn't get to rest on the court while you were not finding the scout did I? Keep pushing! Come on!

(DWAYNE doesn't move.)

MALCOLM - Get up Centaur!

(silence)

MALCOLM - Centaur!

(silence)

MALCOLM - Dwayne?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JESSICA locks ERIC's hospital room behind herself.

JESSICA - I just wanna talk Eric.

ERIC - Jess, what are you doing here?

JESSICA - I just told you...

(JESSICA smiles.)

JESSICA - I wanna talk.

ERIC thinks - How the hell did she get in here.

ERIC - How did you get in here?

JESSICA - You know me. I have my ways.

(silence)

JESSICA - Are you feeling better?

ERIC - Uh... uh yeah. I'm okay.

JESSICA - What happened?

ERIC - I really don't know. Or I don't remember I should say. I just remember being really sleepy and I still feel tired. Like I haven't been to sleep yet.

JESSICA - Wow.

ERIC - I don't remember what actually happened though.

JESSICA - Do you remember me coming to see you?

(ERIC looks up as he tries to remember.)

ERIC - Um, I think so.

JESSICA - You don't remember.

ERIC - No, I think I do. Did you give me something to drink or something?

JESSICA - Well I gave you some water because you took some headache pills.

ERIC - Oh okay.

JESSICA - Do you remember us talking?

ERIC - Talking?

JESSICA - Yeah. We had a long conversation before you got real sleepy.

ERIC - What did we talk about?

JESSICA - Wow, you really don't remember.

ERIC - I'm sorry. I don't.

JESSICA - That's okay. We were talking about some of our old memories and stuff.

ERIC thinks - What?

ERIC - We were?

(JESSICA sits down on the end of the bed.)

JESSICA - Remember when we went to the amusement park and you messed up my shirt?

(ERIC laughs.)

ERIC - Uh excuse me, I didn't mess up your shirt, you messed up your shirt.

(JESSICA smiles.)

JESSICA - I told you to not carry your Coke on the ride with us. You shouldnt've spilled it on me.

ERIC - You shouldnt've grabbed it when we went upside down! Ha ha ha!

JESSICA - But you were so sweet. You gave me your shirt and walked around topless all day.

ERIC - I did what I could.

JESSICA - And remember the time we went to see the movie Chicago?

ERIC - Oh yeah.

JESSICA - And we didn't even see one scene because we were fooling around in the movie theater! Ha ha ha ha!

(ERIC smiles.)

ERIC - Yeah, I remember that.

JESSICA - And you got mad because you had paid for the tickets and waisted your money.

ERIC - Yeah, we could've stayed at the crib to do all that.

(JESSICA laughs.)

JESSICA - Yeah, but you know how we used to get up in the crib. We used to let loose! Remember all that? Remember?

ERIC - Uh yeah. I remember.

JESSICA - Those were the good old days. I swear.

(silence)

ERIC - Jess, is that why you're here? To talk about things we used to do?

JESSICA - Well, yes and no Eric. I need to talk about the past with you. Our wonderful, wonderful past... and I need to show you something too.

(JESSICA starts to pull her shirt off.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PAULA has just knocked on ANDY's door. She is singing to herself.

PAULA thinks - ...gonna have ya naked by the end of this song! Ha ha ha ha...

(The door opens.)

ANDY - Hey wassup.

(silence)

PAULA - Oh heeeeeeeeell no!

ANDY - What?

PAULA - You aint goin' out with me lookin' like that!

ANDY - Hey, you're lucky I'm goin' out with you at all okay? Now shut up and lets go.

(ANDY grabs her coat and keys and they walk down the hall.)

PAULA - You're such a homebody. You never do anything.

ANDY - That's not true.

PAULA - When's the last party you went to?

ANDY - Um...

(silence)

PAULA - See my point?

ANDY - Oh whatever. I'm not afraid to spend time alone with myself. Cuddle up with a good book. Turn my cell phone off. Ya know?

PAULA - Booooring!

(They both laugh as they walk outside and get into PAULA's car.)

ANDY - Okay look, I'm not trying to stay at this party all night. I'll stay like fifteen minutes, then I'm out.

PAULA - Fifteen minutes! What? It's gonna take us more than fifteen minutes just to get in from the sound of how many people are going!

ANDY - Well, you work that out but I aint tryin' to be out here all night.

PAULA - God! You geek!

(They drive to the house and see a lot of people out front going in.)

ANDY - Dag!

PAULA - See now this is what I'm talkin' about! All the Que parties are hot!

ANDY - I'm sure.

PAULA - Let me find a place to park. It's crazy out here.

(PAULA gets ready to pull off to park somewhere around the corner.)

ANDY - Wait! Wait! Pull over!

PAULA -What? Why?

ANDY - Just do it!

(PAULA pulls over and ANDY quickly gets out.)

PAULA - What's goin' on? Where you goin'?

(ANDY ignores her and walks right up to the middle of the line.)

ANDY - Hey Sorors.

(ROSALIND and JENNIFER turn around.)

ROSALIND - Hey Andy, what's up girl? Surprised to see you here.

ANDY - Mmmmm hmmmm.

(ANDY is staring directly at JENNIFER, even as she hugs ROS.)

ANDY - Hey Jenn.

JENNIFER - Hey Andy.

ANDY - I see you didn't take me seriously.

JENNIFER - Excuse me?

ANDY - Did you think I was joking about you being suspended indefinitely from the sorority?

JENNIFER - Huh?

(ANDY folds her arms and looks pissed. She looks down at JENNIFER's sweater, then back up in JENNIFER's face.)

JENNIFER - What are you talking about?

ANDY - You've got on a Sigma sweater.

JENNIFER - So what?

ANDY - I don't want you wearing that, you're suspended.

JENNIFER - Oh come on Andy, give it a rest okay? Gosh!

ANDY - Give it a rest? Give it a rest? I don't play around with my sorority obligations. I know you don't take things as seriously as I do, but you will!

ROSALIND - But you know what Andy, this really isn't the time or the place for this conversation.

ANDY - No, this isn't the time or the place for her to disobey what I put in place in the chapter.

ROSALIND - Okay but what's the point? What do you want Andy? What's Jenn supposed to do now?

JENNIFER - Yeah, what am I supposed to do? Take it off now and not wear my letters anymore? I earned my letters just like everyone else.

ANDY - No, you don't have to take it off now, but get out of line, go home, and change and come back. While you are personally suspended from the chapter, that means no activities and no wearing of sorority paraphernalia.

JENNIFER - Are you serious?

ANDY - Do I look serious?

(silence)

JENNIFER - Well you know what Andy? Serious or not you're on some bullshit power trip. And if you think I'm not gonna sport my sorority proudly, then you got another thing comin! This is some bullshit and I aint standin' for it no more!

ANDY - I'm so glad you said that because you just confirmed everything I thought about you. Good night ladies, yall have a nice time with the Ques.

(ANDY walks away.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(ERIC sits up quickly.)

ERIC - Jess what are you doing!

(JESSICA pulls her shirt over her head. She has a bra on.)

ERIC - Jessica!

JESSICA - I want to show you something Eric. Look.

(She turns around and shows him her back. There is a tattoo on her shoulder.)

ERIC - What the...

JESSICA - See? Do you like it?

(ERIC leans closer to get a better look.)

ERIC - Does that say...

JESSICA - Yeah! You like it?

(JESSICA's tattoo says eric in little red letters. It also has hearts and diamonds around it.)

ERIC - Is that... is that real?

JESSICA - Yeah, I just had it done. You like it?

ERIC - Jess... you got... you got my name on your back?

(She turns around to face him.)

JESSICA - Eric, that's what I want to talk to you about. See, we got so many memories. So many. I can't believe you just want to give that away.

ERIC - What?

JESSICA - Akina doesn't love you the way I do. She never will. She can't.

ERIC - What the hell are you talking about?

JESSICA - Eric, think about the good things that we shared. All those good memories that we talked about just now. All the great things we did. And when I met your mom. You know your mom still loves me. You know that right?

ERIC - Uh...

JESSICA - It's true. Our souls are destined to be together and I don't wanna do this life thing without you. I can't. I need you. I can't breathe or move or anything without you and I know you feel the same. I can see it in your face and in your eyes.

ERIC - But you told me that you didn't want me anymore. And I thought we had both moved on.

JESSICA - I wasn't serious, or I didn't think I was serious. Or something. I don't know, but I do know now that my heart beats for you. And I know you feel the same.

ERIC - I moved on Jessica. I'm with Akina now and I'm happy with her.

JESSICA - No you aren't baby. You don't know what you're saying.

(JESSICA is smiling at ERIC.)

ERIC - I know exactly what I am saying.

JESSICA - No baby, you don't. But its okay, you'll remember us and how it was. Just give us a chance and we can be real happy like we used to be. You'll see. We can get married and move far away from here and be happy. I know I can make you happy baby.

ERIC - Jessica, you're starting to worry me. What the hell are you talking about? I cannot believe you went and got a tattoo with my name and some diamonds! You're talking crazy!

JESSICA - What? You don't like it?

ERIC - It's not a matter of if I like it or not! It's about you going and doing something crazy like this! What the fuck is the matter with you?

JESSICA - Eric look at the big picture here! I mean, think about it, just hush and think about it.

ERIC - Think about what? You sneak away and mark your body up with a tattoo a few months after we break up? That shit is crazy!

(JESSICA laughs.)

JESSICA - I guess you can just say I'm crazy about ya! Hee hee hee.

ERIC - Crazy is more like it!

JESSICA - What!

(ERIC jumps as JESSICA raises her voice. She suddenly has a mean look on her face.)

JESSICA - Did you call me crazy? Did you call me crazy Eric! Don't ever call me crazy! I'm not crazy...

(She smiles again.)

JESSICA - I just love you...

(silence)

JESSICA -...and you love me too. I know you do. Don't you? I still see the way you smile at me. I see the way you're smiling at me now.

(JESSICA smiles at ERIC.)

ERIC - Uh...

JESSICA - So tell me Eric... are you gonna leave Akina?

(silence)

ERIC - Um... yeah. Yes I will.

JESSICA - Yes! Yes! I knew it!

ERIC - I agree with everything you're saying. I've loved you from day one and was just using her to try and get over you. But I want to be with you. I really do. As a matter of fact, I'm gonna call Akina now and end it. I'll do it right over the phone, that way you and I can just pick things right back up.

(ERIC picks up the phone next to the bed.)

ERIC thinks - I'm calling security on this crazy bitch right now!

(He puts the phone to his ear and doesn't hear a dial tone.)

ERIC - Hey... something's wrong with the...

JESSICA - Phone? Oh yeah, I had it turned off in your room. Can't have you calling security or anything on me. I wanted to make sure you were sincere, once you changed your mind about things. And now that you have, listen very carefully...

(She smiles as she leans in closer to him.)

JESSICA - ...this is what we're gonna have to do...

No comments: