Monday, February 11, 2008

Episode 42

TAMMI is on the phone and there is a knock on the door.

TAMMI - Hold on girl, it's probably my boyfriend.

ADA - Okay.

(TAMMI puts the phone down and runs to answer the door.)

TAMMI - Hey.

ROBBIE - Hey wass...

(TAMMI turns after opening the door and runs back to her phone call.)

ROBBIE - ...up? Gee whiz baby, no kiss? I mean, daddy's home!

(TAMMI motions that she is on the phone and will speak to ROBBIE in a few minutes.)

ROBBIE - Dag, how can I be king of the castle when I can't get any love? No love at all I tell ya!

(He walks up behind her and looks over her shoulder to read what she is reading. She closes it immediately.)

TAMMI - Will you please go sit down somewhere? I'll be finished in like five minutes okay?

ROBBIE - What you readin'?

TAMMI - None of your business mister.

ROBBIE - None of my business?

(He tries to grab it.)

TAMMI - Robbie stop! Let me finish what I am doing please!

ROBBIE - Alright alright! Gosh!

(He walks away and lays on his stomach across her bed.)

TAMMI - I'm sorry girl, man acting up.

(ADA laughs.)

ADA - No problem. So what were you saying?

TAMMI - Oh yeah, so anyway, I was talking to both Denice and Sharonda and they both sounded real weird.

ADA - Really? Like what kind of weird! What did they say?

TAMMI - It isn't what they said, but what they didn't say.

ADA - What you mean? Tell me exactly.

TAMMI - Like, I usually call them on the regular and try and discuss Zeta Phi Beta sorority incorporated and see what they have for me and us as advise or whatever. And they are usually very willing to share. Especially Denice.

ADA - Uh huh.

TAMMI - But this time and lately even she is hush hush. Which causes me to believe that something is up.

ADA - Really! Something like what! Don't tease me, tell me tell me!

TAMMI - Well, I remember when I was talking to my boyfriend about it and when he was interested in Alpha, the brothers got real hush hush when stuff started to go down and that is how they knew that the line was aout to be selected.

ADA - What! Oh my God! Oh my God!

(TAMMI laughs.)

TAMMI - Good Lord girl, don't freak out on me!

ADA - You don't understand! I want this so bad! Do you know how long I have wanted to be a member of Zeta Phi Beta sorority incorporated? You have no idea! This is a dream come true! I can just see myself now in blue and white! I can't wait!

(TAMMI laughs.)

ADA - I hope I get chosen!

TAMMI - What? Ada please, you're certain to get picked. You got a lot going for yourse...

ADA - Stop! Stop! Don't jinx it!

(TAMMI laughs.)

ADA - So tell me word for word what they did not say!

TAMMI - Huh?

ADA - I wanna know details!

TAMMI - How can I tell you something that they didn't say? Ha ha ha ha!

ADA - I don't know but tell me something! Ha ha ha ha!

TAMMI - You're crazy for Zeta Phi Beta! Well look, I have to go and tend to this big cry baby I got over here.

ADA - Okay, well call me as soon as something happens! If you even dream of a founder or something, call me!

(TAMMI laughs.)

TAMMI - Okay, I will! Bye.

ADA - Bye.

(TAMMI laughs as she hangs up. She then takes her papers and putts them in her drawer.)

TAMMI - Hey.

ROBBIE - Oh now you got time for me?

(ROBBIE is sarcastic and starts to laugh as he rolls over on his stomach.)

TAMMI - Aw baby, come here.

(TAMMI jumps on the bed and kisses ROBBIE.)

ROBBIE - Don't even try to butter me up either. Nope.

(TAMMI laughs.)

TAMMI - What's goin' on?

ROBBIE - Nothin' much. So you're very serious about this Zeta thing huh?

(TAMMI sits up on the bed.)

TAMMI - I am extremely serious about Zeta Phi Beta sorority incorporated.

ROBBIE - You can just say Zeta.

TAMMI - No I can't. In referring to Zeta Phi Beta sorority incorporated, I should always say Zeta Phi Beta soro...

ROBBIE - But I heard you say Alpha when you were on teh phone. You didn't say Alpha Phi Alpha fraternity incorporated.

TAMMI - That is because I don't want to be a member of Alpha. I want to be a member of Zeta Phi Beta so...

ROBBIE - Okay okay I get it! You're gonna be bad as a neo, you know that right?

TAMMI - Worse than how you were?

(TAMMI smiles and nudges him.)

(silence)

TAMMI - What's wrong?

(silence)

ROBBIE - I do want to talk to you about something serious though. About Zeta. Oh I mean Zeta Phi Beta sorority incorporated.

(ROBBIE laughs.)

TAMMI - You do? Well what's up?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The ladies of Sigma Gamma Rho, PAULA and ANGELIQUE are in ROS' room waiting for a visitor.

ANGELIQUE - What you mean you don't know what she's about? What kind of sense does that make?

PAULA - I'm not saying I don't know what she's about. All I'm saying is I haven't really spoken to her outside of her talking the nice talk.

ANGELIQUE - The nice talk?

PAULA - You know how they do. Oh... I want the sisterhood... oh I want the community service... oh I want the scholarship.

(ANGELIQUE laughs at PAULA's sarcasm.)

ANGELIQUE - You stupid.

PAULA - I'm like, yeah right heffa, tell me the damn truth!

(They both laugh.)

ANGELIQUE - So what you think about this chick so far?

PAULA - I don't know her at all.

ANGELIQUE - Never met her?

PAULA - I know her when I see her. But I don't really know her. But anyone recommended by Candace is a good recomendation.

ANGELIQUE - True that!

PAULA - But I must say, I think I heard some things about her from my ex. Seems like she got an ugly past.

ANGELIQUE - Yeah but who don't.

PAULA - Who don't? I don't!

ANGELIQUE - What! Look at who your ex is!

(They both laugh.)

PAULA - Shut up!

ANGELIQUE - You know I'm tellin' the truth.

PAULA - Yeah, anyway Bobby had told me something about her before. You know he knows all the freaks.

ANGELIQUE - Takes one to know one huh?

PAULA - Definitely. They must all go to the same club or something. The Out There.

(ANGELIQUE laughs.)

ANGELIQUE - So she was out there?

PAULA - Well like I said, I really don't know her. And knowing Bobby's triflin' ass, he may have said that because she didn't give him none.

ANGELIQUE - True true.

PAULA - When Candace called me though, I mean, what was I gonna say? Uh no Candace I don't wanna talk to her because Bobby said...

(PAULA laughs in the middle of her statement.)

PAULA - I mean, come on.

ANGELIQUE - Yeah but at the same time, we don't need no freaks the chapter.

PAULA - Don't you mean we don't need no more freaks in the chapter?

ANGELIQUE - See, you aint right!

(They both laugh.)

ANGELIQUE - You spoke to Ros?

PAULA - Naw.

ANGELIQUE - What about Jenn or Andy.

PAULA - What! You know I aint gonna tell Anyd's stiff ass. Bump that.

(They laugh as there is a knock on the door. PAULA checks her watch.)

PAULA - Right on time.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ROBBIE - I do need to talk to you about something serious though. About Zeta. Oh I mean Zeta Phi Beta sorority incorporated.

TAMMI - You do? Well what's up?

ROBBIE - I just remember how it was when I did my thing. And you do sound a lot like me when I tried out. I just don't want you to get your feelings hurt or anything like that. Once you go over, sometimes this side of the fence is not all we expect it to be. And the let down can be devastating at times.

TAMMI - The let down?

ROBBIE - Yeah.

TAMMI - Do you regret pledging or something?

ROBBIE - Oh of course not. I'm not saying that. I'm just saying that it aint no utopia on this side of the fence. Niggas argue, niggas fight even. Niggas certainly disagree.

TAMMI - Well yeah I supposed that.

ROBBIE - And the way you sound on the phone makes me think...

(He pauses.)

ROBBIE - Well it makes me think that if you ever sat up in a heated chapter meeting, you would be sitting there in tears talking about sorors... sorors... we cannot behave like this... what would the founders think!

TAMMI - Oh stop it.

ROBBIE - I'm serious. For example, remember Jacobe?

TAMMI - Who?

ROBBIE - My frat brother who pledged me? They used to call him Colby or Jake.

TAMMI - I don't remember him.

ROBBIE - Exactly. I barely remember him myself. Why? Because he had the same mentality that you have now and when he crossed, he drifted further and further from the frat. We aint seen nor heard from that negro in ages. He was there when we crossed and when we came up on the yard, but that was basically it. For him, this whole thing was a big let down but it was because he set himself up for a let down.

TAMMI - Okay but what's this all got to do with me? I think I am approaching this with both my eyes open and very realistic.

ROBBIE - Tammi please, no you're not. Take it from me, I know.

TAMMI - You don't know.

ROBBIE - Yes I do, I see you and hear you. And I've already been where you're going.

TAMMI - No you haven't. You did Alpha. I am pursuing Zeta Phi Beta sorority incorporated and you know absolutely nothing about that. Nothing at all.

ROBBIE - Its all the same concept babe.

TAMMI - No it isn't. I don't know what yall do and I don't care to know. But there is nothing like Zeta Phi Beta sorority incorporated.

ROBBIE - See, you're doing it again.

TAMMI - No I'm not, I know what I'm talking about.

(ROBBIE laughs.)

ROBBIE - Oh do you?

TAMMI - Don't patronize me Robbie.

ROBBIE - I'm not. You're just clueless.

TAMMI - Take that back! That's an insult!

ROBBIE - Look, I aint trying to insult you but you gotta listen to yourself babe. I mean come on. I do know what I am taking about. I have been down this road before.

TAMMI - No you hav... you know what, I'm tired of talking about this. Whatever Robbie.

ROBBIE - Don't get an attitude.

TAMMI - I'm not.

(Clearly she is.)

ROBBIE - Oh please.

TAMMIE - Whatever.

ROBBIE - Look, I'm just trying to help okay? I don't want to see you get hurt.

TAMMI - If you want to help, then support me. Tell me that I am doing a good job. Tell me what to say to Leah when I speak to her. You're pretty cool with Leah right?

(silence)

TAMMI - I was talking to her and I know she is digging me. She likes me a lot.

(TAMMI laughs.)

TAMMI - It was almost funny the way I carried the conversation.

ROBBIE - Carried the conversation?

TAMMI - Yeah. I had her eating out of my hands.

ROBBIE thinks - Oh God!

TAMMI - You would think she wanted to get into my sorority! Ha ha ha ha ha, hee hee.

ROBBIE - T, you shouldn't...

(He pauses.)

TAMMI - What?

(silence)

ROBBIE - I support you T. I'm sorry I was trippin' earlier. I got your back.

(TAMMI smiles.)

TAMMI - Thank you baby, that means a lot to me.

(She hugs him tightly.)

ROBBIE thinks - What am I trippin' for? With the way she thinks, there's no way she's gonna make line! She'll just cancel herself out and I won't have anything to worry about!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PAULA opens the door.

DONNA - Hello Paula.

PAULA - You must be Donna. Come on in.

DONNA - Nice to meet you officially.

(They shake hands as DONNA walks in.)

PAULA - This is my soror Angie.

DONNA - Hello.

ANGELIQUE - Hi Donna. Heard some good things about you.

DONNA - You have? But how...

PAULA - Don't mind her. Here, have a seat.

DONNA - Thanks.

PAULA - Well, I'm glad you wanted to hook up and talk to us.

DONNA - Yeah, I appreciate your time.

PAULA - What can we do for you?

DONNA - Well, I am very interested in your sorority. I have done some research but to me, there's nothing like talking with actual members. It really helps me to get a true feel for what everything is.

ANGELIQUE - Yeah, true.

DONNA - So I just wanted to take a few minutes to speak to you and some of your other sorority sisters at any opportunity I could.

ANGELIQUE - But before we get into that, I got a question for you Donna.

DONNA - Okay.

(ANGELIQUE smiles.)

ANGELIQUE - Why don't you tell us a little something about yourself.

DONNA - Sure. Um... I'm a junior marketing major. I'm from...

ANGELIQUE - No, not that kind of stuff, some deep stuff.

PAULA - thinks - Huh?

DONNA - Deep stuff? I'm not sure what you mean.

ANGELIQUE - Tell me about your relations with men.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BUCK has just entered JUNE's room and watched REGGIE leave.

(The bathroom door opens and JUNE walks out. She is surprised to see BUCK.)

JUNE - What are you doing here? I thought I told you that...

BUCK - Wait, hold up, I thought you said we weren't gonna be tellin' other people our business and shit? Nevermind what I'm doing here, what was he doing here?

JUNE - Who?

BUCK - Reg or whatever!

JUNE - Who!

BUCK - Oh now you dumb? Reggie was just here and you were telling him about us! And you just got finished screaming on me for telling Ginger about us!

JUNE - First of all, I didn't tell Reggie anything!

BUCK - Then how did he tell me bout you being upset?

JUNE - Look at me Buck! I've been crying my eyes out because of you! Reggie just walked me here!

BUCK - Walked you here? Walked you here from where?

JUNE - He saw me on the elevator and he made sure I got in okay! I didn't tell him anything!

BUCK - Sure sounds weird to me! That's all.

JUNE - I can't believe you got the nerve to come in here and try to pull this crap with me!

BUCK - You pulled it with me!

JUNE - I had reason! Good reason!

BUCK - No you didn't, I didn't do anything!

JUNE - I don't want to go through this again, I have a headache as it is and I asked to be left alone this evening.

BUCK - Well we need to talk.

JUNE - No you need to leave.

BUCK - We need to talk.

(silence)

BUCK - Look, talking this out is the best thing right now. Even Derrick agreed cuz he was like...

JUNE - Derrick? What?

BUCK - Huh?

JUNE - You just said something about Derrick.

BUCK - Oh, nothing.

JUNE - Buck, why did you say Derrick's name?

BUCK - Its no big deal, he just told me that its best to go ahead and talk now while the issue is up. Show you that I really care by coming over right now so we can...

JUNE - Wait wait wait! How the heck did Derrick tell you this? You spoke with him?

BUCK - Huh? Oh yeah.

JUNE - About us?

BUCK - Well yeah.

(silence)

(JUNE throws her hands in the air and lets them fall and slap her sides.)

JUNE - What the hell you go talking to Derrick for!

BUCK - What? He's not a girl!

JUNE - He aint gotta be a girl Buck, that's my ex boyfriend!

BUCK - So?

JUNE - You went and told my ex boyfriend that we're going through problems?

BUCK thinks - Oh shit, maybe I shouldn't have said...

JUNE - Huh!

BUCK - I mean... I um...

JUNE - Oh God I can't take this anymore! Buck what is it gonna take for you to understand that I hate folk in my business!

BUCK - I didn't know what to do or where else to turn!

JUNE - So first you tell some bitch my business and now you tell my ex man! Who has issues with you already?

BUCK - Ginger is not a bitch and me and Derrick squashed all that! He's even talking about getting info on becoming a bruh now so its all good.

JUNE - No its not all good! What the hell was going through your cranium to make you think it was all good to contact my ex boyfriend and tell him that me and you were going through problems! Oh my head is splitting now!

BUCK - I didn't... I did because I care about you and right now I don't know what to do! What am I supposed to do huh? Just tell me! What do you want me to do.

(silence)

(JUNE starts to cry again. This time more out of anger than anything else.)

JUNE - I want you to leave this room...

(She pauses.)

JUNE - ...and leave me alone... forever.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PAULA - thinks - What!

DONNA - Uh... ex...excuse me?

ANGELIQUE - I want to see what makes you tick. Tell me the real you, don't pull no punches with me. So tell me about your last boyfriend.

DONNA - Uh... okay, well actually I haven't been in a relationship in a while. I uh date but not anyone serious at the moment.

ANGELIQUE - Why not?

DONNA - Uh, I don't know. Focusing on other things right now so don't really have the time for that.

ANGELIQUE - Gotta make time for that though. Ya know? Well rounded people can have multiple relations, tasks, or whatever.

DONNA - I know, but that's just not primary in my life right now.

ANGELIQUE - I hear ya I hear ya.

PAULA - So um... Donna what made you consider Sigma Gamma Rho in the first place?

DONNA - I knew some of your sorority sisters from my campus and I watched the way they went about handling their business. They don't get caught up in a lot of drama and silly stuff. And I admire that.

ANGELIQUE - And did you get to know some of these sorors?

DONNA - Yes. Well I already knew Alexis. And I got to meet Candace via a phone call but she has been very helpful.

PAULA - Yeah, she's the bomb.

ANGELIQUE - So how have you gotten to know the men on campus?

PAULA - Angie!

DONNA - Huh?

ANGELIQUE - What? I want to get to know her for her true self.

DONNA - I don't think that has anything to do with me wanting to become a member of your organization though.

ANGELIQUE - Why wouldn't it? If I'm gonna have to consider you my sister some day, it would behoove me to get to know what you're really about.

DONNA - But my personal life should hold no weight as to whether or not I meet the criteria of the organization.

ANGELIQUE - That's not for you to decide, that's for us to decide.

PAULA - Uh... Donna um, tell me why you aren't interested in any other organizations on campus. Like why not Delta or AKA or something?

(silence)

DONNA - Um... I'm really sorry but my train of thought is really thrown off right now. I apologize but I think I oughta go.

PAULA - Wow, well uh no need to apologize Donna.

DONNA - I really hope we can talk again. With both of you.

PAULA - Sure.

ANGELIQUE - Yeah, anytime. Nice to have met ya.

(ANGELIQUE is sarcastic.)

DONNA - You too. Thanks for your time.

(DONNA gets up and PAULA walks her out.)

DONNA - I'm sorry but I think its best if I go.

PAULA - Its okay. Call me some time next week.

DONNA - I will.

(PAULA closes the door as DONNA leaves.)

PAULA - What the heck you do that for!

ANGELIQUE - What?

PAULA - You were a complete asshole to that girl!

ANGELIQUE - No I wasn't. I need to find out if there's gonna be freaky chicks in the chapter.

PAULA - That's her business Angie, not yours or ours!

ANGELIQUE - Oh calm down. I was just playing with her and testing her out. Hey look, if her skin aint thick enough to deal with that little bit, then she aint ready. She really aint ready.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BUCK turns around and walks out without another word.

BUCK thinks - Okay obviously I am going about this all wrong. I need to probably go home and rethink this whole strategy.

(He stops and looks back at JUNE's closed door.)

BUCK thinks - And maybe this time not tell anyone what is going on. Damn that backfired!

(He pulls out his cell phone as he walks away. He dials.)

CLARENCE - Hello.

BUCK - Dog, wassup.

CLARENCE - What up dog. What's good?

BUCK - You tryin' to hook up dog? I need to get drunk or something.

CLARENCE - Get drunk? What you upset about the Pacers or something?

BUCK - Naw man, I'm a Laker fan. I aint trippin'.

CLARENCE - Then what's wrong?

(BUCK stops to think.)

BUCK - Can't really talk about it. Just need to hang out.

CLARENCE - I aint mad at ya bruh. Um, meet me at the frat house and I'll see if I can get us some beer. I gotta call my man so he can buy it for me. He got the id and shit.

BUCK - Thanks dog but let's go somewhere else. I aint tryin' to deal with them negroes right now.

CLARENCE - Okay. Where you wanna go?

BUCK - I don't know. Wanna go to Pharoahs?

CLARENCE - You know we can't drink up in there.

BUCK - Yeah but maybe we can toss a few back before we go or something.

CLARENCE - That'll work.

BUCK - I'll meet you at your place. I'm over at Ahpla now.

CLARENCE - Okay. By that time I'll have some beer.

BUCK - Cool dog.

(They hang up.)

BUCK thinks - Okay think Buck, think.

(silence)

BUCK thinks - Okay don't think. Thinking is what keeps fucking me up!

(He gets in his car.)

BUCK thinks - This time I'll just wait for June to cool off. She'll call me an we can work this out and patch things up. This shit is gettin; out of hand and now she's talking bout some forever mess. Damn I'm an idiot. Can I screw it up any more?

(BUCK starts to drive to CLARENCE's place at Amgis.)

BUCK thinks - I just need to hang out and get this whole situation off my mind and out of my system. That's what I need to do.

(BUCK's phone rings.)

BUCK thinks - Damn, just when I'm driving!

(BUCK manages to get it off his hip from under the seat belt right as it is about to go to voicemail.)

BUCK - Hello hello!

GINGER - Hey, wassup.

BUCK thinks - Shit!

BUCK - Hey let me hit you back okay?

GINGER - Yeah. I just wanted to find out if everything was okay.

BUCK - Yeah, everything is cool.

GINGER - Good! Well call me back later so you can tell me all about it. I'm bout to go out.

BUCK - Uh... yeah.

GINGER - Bye.

BUCK - Later.

(He hangs up.)

BUCK thinks - Hell naw! That's how I got in this mess to begin with!

(BUCK pulls up in front of CLARENCE's dorm and calls him.)

CLARENCE - You out front?

BUCK - Yeah. Come on down.

CLARENCE - Aight.

(BUCK picks up his cell phone and erases the call from GINGER.)

BUCK thinks - Just in case June checks my phone. Gotta start thinking smart!

(CLARENCE comes down and gets in the car.)

CLARENCE - Wassup bruh.

BUCK - Wassup. I see you got your backpack.

CLARENCE - Yeah. Dude came through.

(CLARENCE shakes the bag and BUCK hears the bottles inside of it.)

BUCK - Cool dog.

(They start to drive toward Pharoahs.)

CLARENCE - You sure everything is cool dog?

BUCK - Yeah. I'm okay. Just need to get out.

CLARENCE - I aint mad at that bruh. I aint mad at that.

(The ride to Pharoahs is mostly quiet, other than the radio. BUCK parks a few blocks away.)

BUCK - Let me get one of those.

CLARENCE - Here.

(BUCK takes a beer and drinks it rather quickly. He starts on his second one.)

CLARENCE - So who's gonna take the crown this year dog? Shaq or the Pistons?

BUCK - Nigga what! The Lakers dog! Don't get it twisted!

(BUCK laughs as he quickly finishes his second beer.)

CLARENCE - Damn nigga, I'm still on one.

BUCK - I told you I needed a drink. Let me get one more and shit and call it a day, then we can go up in this beyatch.

CLARENCE - Aight man, I'm just sayin'.

BUCK - Nigga, I hold my liquor well. What you sayin'?

(BUCK finishes his third as CLARENCE finishes his first. He then drives to car around to Pharoahs.)

CLARENCE - Nice little crowd bruh. What's goin' on tonight?

BUCK - Hell if I know. Fuck. Let's just go and shit.

CLARENCE - Aight dog.

(They get out and BUCK drops his keys.)

BUCK - Fuck.

(CLARENCE laughs.)

CLARENCE - You okay man? Ha ha ha ha! Holdin' your liquor okay?

BUCK - Shit, I'm straight. As soon as I take this leak I'll be good as damn new dog.

(They laugh as they go into Pharoahs.)

CLARENCE - Bruh, look at the bitches up in here. They must be some Ahpla hos cuz they definitely aint from Amgis.

BUCK - I hear that.

CLARENCE - Ooh, look at her right there! She is lookin' tight!

BUCK - Shit where?

CLARENCE - Bruh, in the short skirt! Bruh she aint got no room to bend over!

(BUCK looks.)

BUCK - Damn, she looks real good. Got damn!

CLARENCE - I might have to push up on that.

BUCK - Aw nigga you can't handle that truth right there. Watch me work.

CLARENCE - Watch you work? Dude, you off the market. You bout to get married.

BUCK - I'm just talkin' dude. No harm and shit. Especially now.

CLARENCE - Huh?

(BUCK walks toward the girl just as she turns around and faces him.)

GINGER - Hey! I didn't know you were coming out here!

BUCK - Gin, I didn't even recog... you look... nice.

No comments: