Monday, February 11, 2008

Episode 37

The brothers of Iota Phi Theta, SAM, SEAN and SAIFA, show up at MALCOLM's door. They bang on the door to get in.

SAIFA - Malcolm! Its us! Open up!

(SAIFA turns to face SAM and SEAN.)

SAIFA - I'm just prepared for the worse guys becau... hey, where's Colin?

SEAN - Oh he went to get some coffee.

SAIFA - Get some coffee? What!

(The door opens.)

MALCOLM - Bros!

(SAIFA turns back arond and they rush into the room.)

SAIFA - What happened!

MALCOLM - I don't know! I was here, we were talking and then he like collapsed!

(They go into MALCOLM's bedroom and see DWAYNE lying motionless on the bed.)

SEAN - What did you do to him?

MALCOLM - I didn't do nothing!

(SAIFA grabs DWAYNE's arm.)

SAIFA - His pulse seems regular and he's breathing.

MALCOLM - Yeah, I checked all that already. He just won't seem to wake up.

SAIFA - Tell me what happened and don't leave anything out.

MALCOLM - I told you, I was just...

SAIFA - I said don't leave anything out!

(silence)

MALCOLM - Okay. I called him and he came over.

SAIFA - And wasn't he supposed to be studying at the time you called?

(silence)

MALCOLM - Yeah.

(SAIFA starts to get mad.)

SAIFA - Okay, go ahead. Continue.

MALCOLM - So um... he comes over and we get to talking.

SAIFA - Was he sitting on your bed? On your chair?

MALCOLM - Um... no. He was um, sitting on the floor.

SAIFA - Go ahead.

(There is a knock on the door and everyone freezes.)

SAIFA - Who is that? You expecting someone other than frat?

MALCOLM - No no.

SAIFA - Sam, go check that.

SAM - Okay.

(SAM walks out of the bedroom.)

SAIFA - Your ass better hope he's okay Malcolm I swear!

MALCOLM - Man, I told you I didn't do anything.

(SAM comes back into the room with KEVIN.)

KEVIN - Bros, wassup? What happened? Is he okay?

SAIFA - We're finding out now.

KEVIN - Well did somebody call a doctor or something?

(KEVIN walks over to DWAYNE who is lying motionless and touches his forehead.)

MALCOLM - I didn't want to call an ambulance or anything and draw attention. You know how nosey people get. They see this dude being taken out on a stretcher, the next thing you know we all on the front page of the paper!

KEVIN - So instead you gonna let him lay here and you don't know what's wrong? That's stupid! We gotta get him to a hospital or a doctor or something!

SAIFA - Kevin is right! I don't know what I was thinking! I was trying to get to the bottom of th... nevermind! Let's get him up and ready to take out. Sean, call 911.

SEAN - Okay.

(There is another knock on the door.)

SEAN - Oh that's Colin probably. I'll get it.

(SEAN rushes and opens MALCOLM's door as he is dialing on the phone.)

JENNIFER - Sean! Where is Dwayne and what did yall do to my boyfriend!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JAY is in his room studying. His phone rings.

JAY thinks - Damn.

JAY - Hello.

NIKKI - Hey.

JAY - Who is this?

NIKKI - Who is this! This is Nikki! Who else be callin' you?

JAY - I was just playin'. Wassup?

(NIKKI laughs.)

NIKKI - Nothin' what you doin'?

JAY - Reading. I got two exams.

NIKKI - Aww, really?

JAY - Yeah. And my frat brother was sick so I was in the emergency room with him for a while. So now I gotta play catch up.

NIKKI - Awwww, aren't you the sweetest.

JAY - Yeah, I am.

(They laugh.)

NIKKI - Well you want some company?

(His other line rings.)

JAY - Damn, this is probably Eric now, hold on babe.

NIKKI - Okay.

(He clicks over.)

JAY- Hello.

LISA - Hi Jay.

JAY- Hey, wassup.

LISA - Nothin', you busy?

JAY - Wait, hold on one second okay?

LISA - Okay.

(He clicks back over.)

JAY - Hello.

NIKKI - Yeah.

JAY - What were you saying?

NIKKI - You want company? I can keep you company because I got some reading to do too. And I can help you stay awake and maybe massage your shoulders or something.

JAY - See, you was sounding good til you said that! Ha ha ha ha, you know good and well it would be on since you went and said that! My studying and your studying would be out the window and the massage would be on!

(NIKKI laughs.)

NIKKI - Yeah, you right.

JAY - Look, let me at least get a little more done and I'll call you back okay?

NIKKI - Okay. Don't work too hard sweetie. I'll be waiting.

JAY - Okay.

(He clicks back over.)

JAY - Hey, still here?

LISA - Yeah, wassup? What you doin'?

JAY - Studying. I got two exams.

LISA - Oh wow.

JAY - Yeah, its tight on me.

LISA - Anything I can do to help? You hungry or something?

JAY - Naw, I just ate. I'm okay.

LISA - Well call me if you take a break okay? Maybe I can swing by.

JAY - Cool, that would be cool.

LISA - Okay, talk to ya later.

JAY - Bye.

(He hangs up and starts to read where he left off at.)

JAY thinks - I wonder if Akina got the test results from Eric back yet.

(He starts to look for AKINA's cell phone number.)

JAY thinks - Actually, let me not even call her. She may get all nervous again and get to talkin' up a storm and I really need to study.

(He puts his cell phone back down.)

JAY thinks - Now, where was I? Oh yeah...

(silence)

(His phone rings.)

JAY - Dammit!

(He answers.)

JAY - Hello!

BEN - Damn man, what the hell is wrong with you?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SEAN opens MALCOLM's door and JENNIFER rushes inside.

JENNIFER - Sean! Where is Dwayne and what did yall do to my boyfriend!

SEAN thinks - Oh shit!

SEAN - Jennifer wait!

(JENNIFER rushes right past SEAN almost knocking him over.)

JENNIFER - Dwayne!

(She sees the brothers in MALCOLM's bedroom and she rushes inside.)

JENNIFER - What did yall do to him! What happened!

MALCOLM - He just blacked out. But he's breathing okay and...

JENNIFER - Blacked out! What!

(She sees DWAYNE on the bed and she falls to her knees beside him.)

JENNIFER - Dwayne! Baby!

SAIFA - Sean, are you calling!

SEAN - Yes, I got them on the phone now! Malcolm what is your room number?

MALCOLM - B two sixeteen.

SEAN - B two sixteen. Okay thanks! Hurry!

SAIFA - Jennifer...

(JENNIFER is shaking MALCOLM.)

SAIFA - Jennifer!

(She turns and looks up at SAIFA.)

SAIFA - Does Dwayne have any history of medical problems? Anything with his heart? Lungs?

JENNIFER - No! What the hell! His heart! What did yall do to him!

MALCOLM - Jennifer, we were just talking. The next thing I know he collapses. I didn't do anything to him.

SAIFA - That's why I'm asking if he has any kind of conditions that we don't know about. He didn't tell us of any.

JENNIFER - No, he doesn't.

SAIFA - We called a paramedic so they should be here any minute.

(JENNIFER turns back to DWAYNE.)

JENNIFER - Dwayne... Dwayne...

(silence)

SAIFA - Frat, I think we should leave them alone until the doctors get here. I want to...

(He looks at MALCOLM sternly.)

SAIFA - ...finish talking too.

MALCOLM - Yeah, uh, we can go into the other room.

SAIFA - Jennifer, we're gonna step into the other room and wait for the paramedics.

JENNIFER - Once Dwayne recovers, I want him through with this process! He's done! Yall make him a brother!

SEAN thinks - What!

SAM - But he's not finished ye...

(SAIFA holds up an arm to SAM.)

SAIFA - We'll take care of Dwayne. Don't worry, we have his best interst at hand and we'll make sure that nothing happens to him.

(They quickly leave the room.)

JENNIFER - Dwayne...

(She grabs his hand and holds it tight. She then closes her eyes to pray.)

JENNIFER - God, I don't know what's wrong with Dwayne and I don't know what to do. But please heal him from whateve...

(DWAYNE opens one eye and sees that he is alone with JENNIFER. He smiles to himself, closes his eye and lays still.)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LARRY has left his frat brothers ROBBIE and BANE with MAX.

MAX thinks - Maybe Larry is sitting outside in the hallway waiting to come back in. I know this is just a test.

(BANE takes his watch off and turns to place it on the table.)

ROBBIE whispers - Hey B.

(BANE looks at ROBBIE.)

ROBBIE whispers - Hey man, take it easy on this cat. I don't want to get nothin' started.

BANE whispers - Oh I know. I just want to scare him a little. See where he's really at. Ya know?

(ROBBIE smiles.)

ROBBIE whispers - Okay I got ya.

BANE whispers - Just follow my lead.

ROBBIE whispers - Aight.

(BANE turns back to MAX.)

BANE - Well well well, your boy aint here no more huh Max? You gonna be able to handle yourself without your big brother?

MAX - Yes I am!

MAX thinks - I know he can hear me! He's just outside the door!

MAX - I'm ready!

BANE - Do you have any idea when line is supposed to start Maxie? Do you have any idea how close this shit is?

MAX - I have no idea!

BANE - So if you have no idea, woudn't it be good to be up on all your material, just in case?

MAX - Yes it would!

BANE - Good! So let's have history lesson one oh one. First of all, say the foundes. Let's start with the basics.

MAX - Jewel Henry Arthur Callis...

BANE - Good.

MAX - ...Jewel Charles Henry Chapman...

BANE - Continue.

(BANE walks over to MAX and stands behind him. MAX stops reciting.)

BANE - Why did you stop? Did you forget the founders?

MAX - Uh... no, I was just wondering what you were doing behind me.

BANE - Nevermind me. Never lose your focus Max. When you are given an assignment, you finish it. No matter what happens. Never take your eyes off your goal. Your assignment is to stay focused! Stay focused!

MAX - Okay!

BANE - Now start over. Give me the founders.

MAX - Jewel Henry Arthur Callis... Jewel Charles Henry Chapman... Jewel Eugene...

BANE - Stop. Say it backward.

MAX - Backward?

BANE - Focus! Do it!

MAX - Um...

MAX thinks - Which one is the last one?

MAX - Jewel um... Jewel Vertner Woodson Tandy.

ROBBIE - There ya go! Focus, keep goin'!

MAX - Um...Jewel...

MAX thinks - Shit!

(There is a knock on the door.)

ROBBIE - That's probably Larry.

BANE - Yeah, no doubt.

MAX thinks - He probably heard me struggling with the founders! Man, I don't know them backwards!

ROBBIE - I got it.

(ROBBIE gets up and walks past MAX and BANE to open the door.)

BANE - What did I tell you about stopping? Keep going! Stay focused! Number six! Come on!

MAX - Uh... uh... Jewel... uh...

(ROBBIE opens the door. When he notices that it isn't LARRY, he doesn't open it all the way.)

ROBBIE - Um yeah, can I help you?

TERRANCE - Is Max here?

(TERRANCE checks the door to make sure he is at the right room.)

ROBBIE - Yeah but... he's kind of busy right now okay?

TERRANCE thinks - Busy?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JAY is tired of all the ladies blowing up his phone when he really needs to be studying.

(JAY's phone rings again.)

JAY - Dammit!

(He answers.)

JAY - Hello!

BEN - Damn man, what the hell is wrong with you?

JAY- Oh my bad bruh. I thought you were somebody else. What's up Nupe?

BEN - I'm cool. You still at the hospital? What's up with E?

JAY- Naw, I came home. I got two exams so I had to get back.

BEN - Oh true. Any word on E?

JAY - Not yet. Akina told me that she would be okay and wanted me to leave to go study. She said that she would call as soon as she found something out.

BEN - And she hasn't called yet?

JAY - No but everyone else is callin'!

BEN - That's cuz you da man!

(JAY laughs as how BEN changes his voice.)

JAY - Shut up.

BEN - Maybe I'll give her a call yo.

JAY - I was gonna call but her too but I thought I better chill. Because if we call and she hasn't heard anything, she may get nervous because its been so long.

BEN - Oh right right.

JAY - So if... I mean when she calls me, I'll hit you up.

BEN - Yeah, please do.

JAY - Aight Nupe.

BEN - Be easy.

(They hang up.)

JAY thinks - Okay damn, where was I?

(He looks at his watch.)

JAY thinks - Damn, I aint gonna get no sleep at all. I still gotta read four chapters and I didn't even start on my other stuff yet! Damn.

(He grabs his cell phone.)

JAY - You are getting turned off buddy!

(He turns his cell phone off.)

JAY thinks - Way too much of a distraction.

JAY's VOICE MAIL - This is Jay, leave a message.

(BEEP)

AKINA - Jay! Jay! They took Eric to the police station and I don't know why! I am rushing there now! Call me!

JAY thinks - Now I can get some peace a quiet and get some studying done.

(silence)

(JAY is reading and taking notes.)

JAY thinks - Okay, I gotta remember what Dr. Mitchell said about...

(There is a knock on the door.)

JAY thinks - Now what! What the hell!

(He gets up and opens the door.)

JAY - Lisa? What are you doing here?

LISA - I thought you'd be hungry so I got you something to eat.

JAY - Uh... thanks.

(She walks in. She has a bag from McDonald's.)

LISA - I know you're studying so I won't stay long. Just wanted to wish you well.

JAY - Well thank you so much girl. I appreciate it.

LISA - How's the studying coming?

(She walks over to his desk and looks at his open books and notebook.)

JAY - It's coming. Slowly but surely. But it's coming.

LISA - Good good.

JAY - Thanks a lot for the food.

(JAY comes behind LISA and puts his arms around her. She smiles as he kisses her on her neck.)

LISA - You're welcome! I'm glad I made you happy.

JAY - Most definitely!

(She turns around and starts to kiss him.)

JAY - But... wait... wait...

(He backs up.)

JAY - Don't get me started, you know how that's gonna go.

LISA - I know I know.

(She pouts.)

LISA - I know you got work to do.

JAY - But I tell ya what, I'll make it up to ya.

LISA - You will?

JAY - No doubt!

(She steps to him to hug him again.)

LISA - Well good luck. I hope you do well.

(There is a knock on the door.)

JAY - What the... what is goin' on tonight?

LISA - Well I need to go so give me a call tomorrow after you wake up. I know you're gonna have to crash after your exams tomorow.

JAY - Yeah, that's right.

(JAY walks her to the door.)

JAY - Thanks again. I'll call you.

LISA - Okay.

(They kiss and JAY opens the door.)

NIKKI - Hi Jay, I thought you might be hungry so I brought you something to...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ROBBIE - He's gonna have to holla at you later bruh.

TERRANCE - Uh... okay. Can you tell him that Terrance came by?

ROBBIE - Yeah, I sure will.

(ROBBIE starts to close the door.)

TERRANCE - And uh... ask him to call me.

ROBBIE - Yeah, no problem.

(ROBBIE closes the door.)

TERRANCE thinks - Who the hell was that?

(BANE turns around.)

BANE - That wasn't Larry?

ROBBIE - Naw, some dude here to see you Max. Named Terrance. He said to give him a call later.

MAX thinks - Oh damn!

BANE - Okay so where were we Max? Number three?

LARRY thinks - I guess this has been enough time. I don't want Bane to kill this nigga. I know how he is. Ha ha ha ha!

(LARRY's cell phone rings.)

LARRY - Wassup Q.

QUINTON - Hey man, what you up to?

LARRY - Chillin' you know. Doin' what I do bruh because can't nobody be me like me! Feel me?

QUINTON - Why do I even ask your stupid ass question?

(LARRY laughs.)

LARRY - What's goin' on?

QUINTON - Just finished studying and I was just thinking about this thing with Frank.

LARRY - Who?

QUINTON - Frank. The guy we voted on that I didn't like.

LARRY - Oh, the genius.

QUINTON - Shut up!

LARRY- Ha ha ha ha ha, so what about him?

QUINTON - It just don't sit right with me man. Ya know?

LARRY - Let it ride sands, let it ride.

QUINTON - I can't. I am really unhappy about this.

LARRY - That happens though man. Everything is not gonna go your way all the time. That's just life.

QUINTON - Yeah but damn. Here I am all unhappy with some dude that aint even in the frat. I could see if one of my brothers pissed me off. But I'm losing sleep over a dude who's on the other side of the fence.

LARRY - Well he's gonna be on this side of the fence soon so you better start to think of it that way. Otherwise, you won't be sleeping for a long time!

QUINTON - Yeah, I know. I just don't like it.

LARRY - Well I didn't like you being on my line but I had to deal with it.

QUINTON - Your line huh? Your line?

(They both laugh.)

QUINTON - What are you up to?

LARRY - Just chillin' man, over here hanging with frat over at Max's place.

QUINTON - Max's place? What you doing over there?

LARRY - Just having a little bit of fun.

QUINTON - A little fun? Does Jason know about it?

LARRY - Naw, I didn't call him.

QUINTON - Man, I don't think thats a good idea. You might want to chill with that. And who you got with you? Amgis bros?

LARRY- Yeah. Its no big deal.

QUINTON - Dude, chill on that bruh.

LARRY - Okay okay. We can bounce out of here now.

QUINTON - Yeah man, don't get started on the wrong foot. Ya know?

LARRY - Yeah, hey Q, hold on a second okay?

QUINTON - Yeah.

(LARRY pushes mute.)

LARRY - Hey, wassup? Where you comin' from?

TERRANCE - I was just going to see Max and there's some guy in his room! I mean, what's goin' on?

No comments: