Monday, February 11, 2008

Episode 29

Three minutes to go in the first half and the Ahpla Angels are leading the Amgis Blue Devils by thirteen points.

COACH GIBBS - Malcolm! Malcolm!

(MALCOLM looks over at his coach as he dribbles the ball across court.)

COACH GIBBS - Three four under!

(MALCOLM nods to indicate that he understands the play and is ready to run it.)

MALCOLM thinks - Three four? What in the world is he calling that play for?

(MALCOLM holds up his hand. He flashes three fingers, then four fingers. His teammates begin to move into position.)

MALCOLM thinks - If I run that... then...

(He looks up at the clock. There are two minutes and twenty nine seconds to go until half time.)

MALCOLM thinks - This is some bull!

(MALCOLM passes the ball to CARTER.)

MALCOLM thinks - With three four, I won't get to take the shot! Scott probably will! Dammit!

(MALCOLM runs and blocks for SCOTT who grabs the ball and takes a shot. The shot goes in and the crowd cheers.)

MALCOLM - Good shot bro.

SCOTT - Yeah.

(They slap hands as they run down the court to play defense.)

MALCOLM - Damn, I only got three points and coach keeps calling these plays that don't get me the rock! And I bet that scout is in the audience somewhere!

(MALCOLM looks up at the clock as he begins to play defense against the Ahpla player. Two minutes to go.)

MALCOLM thinks - Okay, in two minutes, I can probably make a quick run and score like...

(The Ahpla player blows by MALCOLM and lays in an easy basket.)

MALCOLM thinks - Shit!

(COACH GIBBS calls a time out.)

GERALD - Come on man, stay in the game.

MALCOLM - Yeah, that was my bad bruh.

(The team runs to the sideline as the cheerleaders take to the floor.)

COACH GIBBS - Aight guys, I need you to focus! We need to start to run our two minute drill and go into the locker only down by ten. Now here's the plan... Wil, I need you to...

MALCOLM thinks - I gotta play better. Play a lot better! If that scout is here, I know he aint impressed with me right now!

COACH GIBBS - and Scott, you're doing good but you're not pressing long enough! Don't press for two seconds and let go, press for longer!

SCOTT - Okay.

COACH GIBBS - And Malcolm, you gotta get your head in the game son! You're wandering around like you don't know what planet you're supposed to be on! Get on planet basketball like the rest of us! You got it?

(silence)

MALCOLM thinks - I wonder where he would be sitting... he wouldn't be in the regular seats with the students, he's probably up in the...

COACH GIBBS - Malcolm!

MALCOLM - Yeah Coach!

COACH GIBBS - Get the hell in the game before I yank your ass!

MALCOLM - Uh yeah Coach... I'm in... I got it!

COACH GIBBS - Aight let's go!

(The guys go back on the floor. MALCOLM fixes his jersey and looks up at the scoreboard.)

MALCOLM thinks - I gotta make a good shot here! I gotta make one!

(The ball is thrown in to MALCOLM. He looks at his coach for the play.)

COACH GIBBS - Lock down seven!

MALCOLM thinks - Shit!

(MALCOLM yells to his teammates.)

MALCOLM - Seven! Seven!

(He points downward as he passes the ball.)

MALCOLM thinks - Dammit! I won't get to shoot in lock seven!

(MALCOLM runs around his defender and asks for the ball again.)

MALCOLM - I'm open! Hit me!

(SCOTT throws the ball back to MALCOLM who immediately shoots.)

MALCOLM - Damn!

(An Ahpla player grabs the ball as the crowd boos. He looks up at the clock and calls a time out.)

GERALD - What you doin' man? I thought you called lock down seven?

MALCOLM - I thought I had the open shot though.

(They go to the side.)

COACH GIBBS - What the hell was that!

MALCOLM - You always said if you have the open shot, take it.

COACH GIBBS - I called lock down seven! Malcolm sit down!

MALCOLM - But coach...

COACH GIBBS - Sit your ass down!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RENEE immediately calls JENNIFER when she notices that she somehow has the Sigma Gamma Rho handbook.

RENEE thinks - I hope she gets here before I fall asleep! I'm exhausted.

(She goes back into the bathroom and starts to brush her hair. She wraps it and ties it up. She then starts to brush her teeth and there is a knock on the door.)

RENEE thinks - Wow, that was quick! Good, now I can give her this book and get some sleep!

(She spits out and rinses her mouth out. There is another knock.)

RENEE - Be right there!

(RENEE comes out of the bathroom wiping her mouth. She grabs the book and goes to the door. She opens the door.)

RENEE - Paula? What are you doing here?

PAULA - I believe you have something of mine.

RENEE - Of yours? Oh... oh yeah.

(RENEE yawns and stretches.)

RENEE - Come on in.

(PAULA follows RENEE.)

RENEE - Hey wait... how did you know I had...

PAULA - Nevermind how I found out you had it! What the hell are you doing with it?

RENEE - Wait a minute Paula, I don't have the slightest clue how I got it.

PAULA - Yeah right!

(PAULA sees the handbook on RENEE's table and snatches it up.)

PAULA - God I don't believe this!

(She opens it and starts to quickly page through it.)

RENEE - What are you doing? Its all there. I didn't even open it.

PAULA - Sure you didn't! What do you take me for? A fool! I know you stole our handbook and that's some shady shit!

RENEE - Stole? I didn't steal anything! I opened my bag and there it was sitting there! I don't know how it got in there!

PAULA - What kind of stupid story is that Renee? I'm supposed to believe that?

RENEE - Well its the truth!

PAULA - Hell no its not!

RENEE - Paula... I got home, I was about to go to bed, I opened my bag, and to my amazement, the book was sitting there. In all honesty, I don't know who put it in there and I have no idea how you even knew to come to my room.

PAULA - That's a damn lie and you know it! You know good and well how you got my handbook and that's shady as hell! I can't believe you would even go there Renee and I should kick your ass for that shit!

RENEE - What! You gonna come up in my room and call me a liar and talk about kickin' somebody's ass! What the hell is the matter with you!

(RENEE steps toward PAULA who places the book back down.)

PAULA - You gonna steal my sorority handbook and think you can get away with it? What, you wanna find out what SGRho is about? That's shady as hell and you know it and you deserve to get your ass kicked!

JENNIFER - The only person who deserves an ass kickin' is me...

(RENEE looks past PAULA who turns around to see JENNIFER standing in RENEE's doorway.)

JENNIFER - ...for misplacing my sorority handbook.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ANNOUNCER - And there's the buzzer! It's half time! The Ahpla University Angels lead your Amgis Blue Devils by a score of forty seven to thirty three!

(The crowd starts booing as the players begin to go back into the locker room for half time.)

GERALD - Damn man! This is some bullshit! Why the hell did Buck twist his ankle!

MALCOLM thinks - Shut the hell up Gerald!

(MALCOLM looks through the crowd as he grabs his sweats and towel. He doesn't see an NBA recruiter, but he sees his frat brothers. He motions for SAM to come toward him. SAM sees him and hurries over.)

SAM - What's up bro! How the hell yall playin' man?

MALCOLM - Nevermind that! Did yall bring the pledgees here with yall?

SAM - Of course we did. Why?

MALCOLM - Where are they?

SAM - Well you know we only have one pledgee now right?

MALCOLM - What? What happened?

SAM - Long story, I'll tell ya later.

MALCOLM - Whatever! Send me the pledgee now! Fast!

(SAM runs up and MALCOLM stalls for time as his team is almost all gone. He acts like he is collecting his things.)

CENTAUR DWAYNE - Yes Big Brother Double Dribble!

MALCOLM thinks - God! We kept Dwayne? I liked the other one! Oh well!

MALCOLM - Listen, there's an NBA recruiter here somewhere! Find him! By the time I come back out, I want you to point out where he is!

CENTAUR DWAYNE - But Big Brother Double Dribble, how am I supposed to know who he is? This place is jam packed.

MALCOLM - Use your head man! I don't know, he probably has on a suit! He's probably older! Just do it!

(MALCOLM runs toward the locker room.)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ERIC is taken to the hospital by his frat brothers. On the way, he wakes up and now is getting ready to take tests to see why he passed out for so long.

(They enter the hospital and DELL starts to talk to the lady behind the desk.)

DELL - Eric, come over here for a second. You got your student id on you?

BEN - I grabbed his wallet. Here ya go.

ERIC - Thanks man.

(ERIC turns to AKINA.)

ERIC - I gotta go take these tests or whatever.

AKINA - I'll be out here waiting for you.

ERIC - Okay. Don't worry, I'm fine.

(ERIC smiles as he walks away.)

JAY - You okay?

AKINA - I'm about to be.

(AKINA wipes her face off and walks into a corner alone. She pulls out her cell phone and dials.)

(silence)

JESSICA - Hello?

AKINA - Jessica this is Akina.

(silence)

JAY - Man, this is some shit!

BEN - I know dude! Damn, my heart is still beatin' fast.

JAY - Yeah, and look at that nigga.

(BEN and JAY watch as ERIC and DELL walk through the doors with one of the physicians.)

JAY - He looks good as new. Like none of this ever happened.

BEN - Yeah, I know.

JAY - If he's fine, I'm gonna kick his ass for scaring us!

(BEN laughs.)

JAY - Oh look, the new newspapers are out.

(JAY walks over and picks up the Amgis newspaper, The Yard as well as the Ahpla paper, The Sands right next to it.)

JAY - We can kill some time readin' these while we wait for E.

BEN - Cool man, thanks.

(JAY tosses BEN The Yard and sits down with The Sands.)

JAY - Oh shit!

BEN - What?

JAY - Look, Xavier did a story on the brawl we had with the Alphas! Right here on the front page!

BEN - He did? Let me see!

(BEN leans over to see the story.)

JAY - Now see, that's what I'm talkin' about! This nigga is bringin' the real! Tellin' it like it is! I hear it!

(silence)

JESSICA - Uh... Akina? Eric's Akina?

AKINA - How many Akinas do you know Jessica? You know, you think you're real slick don't you? Real slick!

JESSICA - Now what? Haven't you had enough of harassing me? Gosh! I told you, I don't want your fuckin' man!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JENNIFER - The only person who deserves an ass kickin' is me...

(RENEE looks past PAULA who turns around to see JENNIFER standing in RENEE's doorway.)

JENNIFER - ...for misplacing my sorority handbook.

(JENNIFER quickly walks between RENEE and PAULA and picks up her book.)

JENNIFER - Renee, thanks for calling me about this.

RENEE - No problem Jennifer.

PAULA - She called you?

RENEE - I called Jennifer as soon as I opened my bag. I didn't open you guy's handbook. I wouldn't do that. I got more respect than that.

JENNIFER - And I rushed right over. How did you get here Paula?

(PAULA pauses and thinks before she answers.)

PAULA - I got a call. Renee's soror Mona called me and she told me that...

RENEE - Mona? Mona Ferguson called you?

PAULA - Yeah.

RENEE - Wait a minute, I just left Mona at the Twenty Four Seven. What time did she call you?

PAULA - Um.. I don't... oh wait, its in my cell phone. Hold on.

(PAULA pulls her cell phone out and looks through her calls that came in.)

PAULA - She called me at six thirty.

(RENEE walks to her desk and grabs her cell phone. She scrolls through the calls that she dialed out.)

RENEE - And I called PJ at six twenty eight. Mona called you right after she walked out of the diner!

JENNIFER - What did Mona say when she called you?

PAULA - She told me... um... she told me that Renee stole our handbook and had it.

RENEE - Mona told you that I stole your han... oh shit!

(silence)

JENNIFER - Thanks again for calling me Renee.

(JENNIFER puts the handbook into her bag.)

JENNIFER - I think you better deal with your... soror.

PAULA - Yeah Renee, you may wanna deal with that. And let me know what happens because I'm still confused.

(RENEE doesn't answer as she dials on her phone.)

(silence)

JENNIFER - I think we better go. I'm sure she has... business to take care of.

PAULA - Yeah.

(JENNIFER and PAULA quietly walk out.)

(silence)

MARCUS - Renee I need to call you tomorrow! Emergency!

RENEE - Okay. Just know that Mona fucked me over... but this is just the beginning!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JESSICA - I don't know why you keep bothering me Akina! I don't want Eric!

AKINA - Yeah right! So I'm supposed to believe that I see you and the next thing, Eric is barely breathing and unconscious and you have nothing to do with it?

JESSICA - Wh... what? What happened?

AKINA - Oh don't play dumb Jessica! You know exactly what happened! And if you don't tell me what the hell you did to Eric, I'm gonna...

JESSICA - What's the matter with Eric!

AKINA - I'm not playing games with you Jessica! I'm only gonna ask you one more time!

JESSICA - What are you talking about? Are you crazy or something?

AKINA - What did you do to Eric when you were in his room?

JESSICA - If something's wrong with Eric, then its news to me okay! I didn't do anything to him and you're crazy for even thinking I did!

AKINA - Alright Jessica! Have it your way! I tried to ask you what the hell is up and you refuse to tell me! So just know that its on now between me and you!

JESSICA - Is that supposed to be a threat?

AKINA - No! That's a promise! And let me tell your ass something else! If I find...

(There is an announcement on the hospital loudspeaker.)

SPEAKER - Dr. Bowen! Dr. Bowen! Please come to room four fourteen! Dr. Bowen to room four fourteen please!

(silence)

JESSICA - Hello?

(silence)

JESSICA - Akina if you're threatening me then let me tell you...

(click)

AKINA - Jay! Jay!

JAY - Ha ha ha ha ha! Oh shit, did you see what Xavier said? Ben, check this shit out here! Ha ha ha ha! Oh this is a riot!

AKINA - Jay!

(JAY hears AKINA and jumps out of his chair.)

JAY - What!

AKINA - It's Jessica!

JAY - Jessica? Huh? What?

AKINA - I called Jessica's cell phone just now!

JAY - So? So what?

AKINA - And I heard the loud speaker announcement in her phone!

BEN - What?

AKINA - I heard them call for the doctor through Jessica's phone! She's here in the hospital!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The buzzer sounds, indicating the end of the game to loud boos from all over the arena.

ANNOUNCER - And that's your game brothers and sisters. Final score, Ahpla University eighty eight, Amgis Blue Devils sixty nine! We have to be good sports and congratulate the Angels on the division championship and the finish of a great season. We congratulate the graduating seniors who are leaving Amgis and thank them for...

SCOTT - Hey man, you gave it your best shot. Tough luck.

MALCOLM - Yeah man. Yeah.

(MALCOLM grabs a towel and puts it over his head. He wipes his forehead and looks up into the stands. People are still booing as they are leaving and as the band is playing. He looks for DWAYNE.)

CENTAUR DWAYNE - Big Brother Doubl...

MALCOLM - Shhhh! You idiot!

CENTAUR DWAYNE whispers - Oh sorry! I never saw the NBA recruiter guy!

MALCOLM - You idiot? How could you miss him? He probably had a suit on or something. A clip board or anything!

CENTAUR DWAYNE - Big... Malcolm I swear I looked into the face of everybody in this arena. Every single seat and the box seats where the announcer are. I didn't see anybody like that whatsoever. It was just so crowded in here and people were jumping up and down and...

MALCOLM - What are excuses!

CENTAUR DWAYNE - I'm sorry but...

MALCOLM - If I miss a possible shot at the NBA its all your fault!

CENTAUR DWAYNE - But... but...

MALCOLM - And believe me, I'm gonna take it out on you!

No comments: