Monday, February 11, 2008

Episode 18

TIA has found herself on a date with SETH when she tried to send a letter to AHMAD. But she has made the most of it and has continued on the date.

TIA - So...where we goin' to eat?

SETH - Funny you should ask, this is the place right here.

(They had passed a few places on the way to the spot that SETH is choosing. He opens the door for her.)

TIA - Oh this is nice. What made you choose this place?

SETH - The neo in me.

(SETH smiles.)

TIA - Huh?

SETH - Well I knew my line brother Ahmad would be in here with his girl Shareesa, so I called him and told him that you and I would meet him here. Oh there they are right over there. Come on.

(SETH points to a booth along the wall. TIA looks and sees AHMAD and the back of a girl's head.)

TIA thinks - Oh my God!

SETH - Hey Blue!

(AHMAD looks up and waves them over.)

SETH - Come on.

TIA - Um...

(They walk up to the booth and AHMAD stands up to greet his line brother.)

AHMAD - Wassup frat!

SETH - It's all good bruh man! Hey Shareesa.

SHAREESA - Hi Seth.

SETH - Ahmad this is Tia. Tia this is Ahmad.

AHMAD - Hi...I've seen you on the yard before, haven't I?

TIA thinks - He doesn't remember!

TIA - Yeah, I think we took a class together. Back in the day.

AHMAD - Oh yeah! That's right! How you been?

TIA - Good.

TIA thinks - This is so shady! He is so cute!

AHMAD - Come on yall, sit down. Kia this is my girlfriend Shareesa.

TIA - It's Tia. With a t.

AHMAD - Oh my bad. Tia, this is Shareesa.

SHAREESA - Pleasure to meet you Tia.

(SHAREESA holds her hand out and TIA takes it.)

TIA - Nice to meet you too.

TIA thinks - God!

AHMAD - Glad yall could join us man.

SETH - Oh yeah, I'm glad we could too. This was all so impromptu, ya know?

SHAREESA - Impromptu?

SETH - Oh yeah. Very last minute. See, I was on campus and I decided to check my email real quick...

TIA thinks - Oh God! He's telling the story!

SETH - And so I check my email and...

(SETH's cell phone rings.)

SETH - Oh, hold on.

(He takes it off his hip and looks at the caller id.)

SETH - Oh, it's Kim.

(He answers.)

SETH - Wassup?

KIM - Nothin', where are you?

SETH - Came out to eat. Me, Maad, Shareesa and Tia.

KIM - Who?

SETH - Me and Ahmad...

KIM - No, what girls?

SETH - Shareesa, and Tia is here with me. Why you know her?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The ladies of Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority have decided to get together to talk.

ROSALIND - How we gonna agree to talk about this and Andy not even be here yet?

JENNIFER - She's probably on her way.

ROSALIND - Probably. Hmmm.

(ANGELIQUE isn't paying attention. She's sitting back and reading.)

ROSALIND - This is messed up! I mean it really is! I'm so pissed.

JENNIFER - Me too.

ROSALIND - I just don't see what the big damn deal was. And then to cross her without waiting for us, that is so wrong!

JENNIFER - Yeah, it is. I agree with you one hundred percent. Two hundred percent.

ROSALIND - I mean, it just doesn't make any kind of sense to me. How did Alexis feel when she didn't see us around? She probably thinks we abandoned her or something. Or that we don't care or something. That's so not cool.

JENNIFER - She should know that we wouldn't purposely leave her hanging like that though.

ROSALIND - But who knows what Andy told her. And then Candace goes along with it. What the hell is up with that?

JENNIFER - I don't know, but I wanna get to the bottom of it. That's for sure!

(silence)

ROSALIND - Angie!

ANGELIQUE - Huh?

(ANGELIQUE doesn't look up.)

ROSALIND - What you think about all this? You sitting there all quiet!

ANGELIQUE - I think yall are over reacting personally. I mean, calm down.

(ROSALIND looks at JENNIFER then back at ANGELIQUE.)

ROSALIND - Excuse me?

ANGELIQUE - Yall are over reacting. Just like yall always do. Calm the heck down, sheesh.

JENNIFER - We aren't over reacting at all!

ANGELIQUE - Yeah okay Jenn. So why you screamin' all of a sudden?

(ANGELIQUE smiles.)

ANGELIQUE - See that's my point. You two are always at it. Talking mess about this or that. That's why yall don't get included in stuff. Yall too mixy.

ROSALIND - First off, that aint true. Secondly, even if that was true, that's no reason to cross the girl without waiting for us. Thirdly, I don't know how the heck you come off talking like this when you're hardly ever around.

ANGELIQUE - That's because I have priorities. And a hard ass major.

ROSALIND - We all got school work and other shit to do but we make time for the sorority. Especially when we have intake.

ANGELIQUE - We all got school work? Ros your major is fine arts.

ROSALIND - So?

ANGELIQUE - Are you seriously gonna compare your dancing major to chemical engineering?

ROSALIND - Yes I am! Everyone's major is difficult to that particular person. It's all relative. Dance may seem easy to you, but let me take you to one of my master classes when a guest professor instructor shows up and we get graded. See how well you do.

(ANGELIQUE smiles and picks her book back up.)

ANGELIQUE - Yeah Ros...okay.

JENNIFER - Well regardless, it was still shady for them to go ahead and start.

ANGELIQUE - Oh so they're suppose to hold up intake, stop everything from happening with this girl, and start over once you guys come in?

(silence)

ANGELIQUE - Don't be stupid. They did what they were supposed to do.

(ANGELIQUE goes back to reading.)

ROSALIND - No, she could've held it up. It's not like there were forty sorors here and we were running so late that we were messing up the program. We're talking about two sorors waiting for two more sorors.

ANGELIQUE - Take it up with Andy and Candace then. And Paula. I don't agree with yall.

ROSALIND - You don't have to agree with us. All you have to do is...

(The door opens and ANDY walks in.)

ANDY - Sorors, sorry I'm late.

ROSALIND - Mmmmm hmmmm.

ANDY - Okay let's get down to business and talk.

JENNIFER - Well wait, what about Candace? I think we should all be here if we're gonna discuss this issue.

ANDY - Oh you didn't hear?

ROSALIND - Hear what?

ANDY - I got a message from Candace that she had to go out of town suddenly for something. Something she had to do in Dallas.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SETH is on the phone with his sister KIM, while on his date with TIA.

TIA thinks - Oh my God this is getting ridiculous!

SETH - So do you know Tia?

TIA thinks - Hell yeah Kim knows me!

(TIA stands up.)

TIA - Excuse me yall, I need to find the restroom.

SHAREESA - Oh it's right over there. I'll go with you.

TIA thinks - Dammit!

(SHAREESA gets up and grabs her purse.)

SHAREESA - Be right back.

AHMAD - Cool.

SETH - Yeah okay. Hurry back.

(TIA and SHAREESA walk to the bathroom.)

TIA thinks - I gotta end this! I gotta get out of here!

SHAREESA - So how did you and Seth meet?

TIA - Huh?

(SHAREESA looks at TIA and smiles.)

SHAREESA - How did you and Seth meet?

TIA thinks - You don't wanna know!

TIA - We uh...uh...I saw his line on the yard, and we just met...or something. Ya know.

SHAREESA - Yeah, I understand. Cool.

(SHAREESA fixes her make up in the mirror.)

SHAREESA - He's really cool. Him and Maad are like inseperable. Ha ha ha.

TIA - Yeah...ha.

(TIA's cell phone rings.)

TIA thinks - Thank God!

TIA - Excuse me for a moment Shareesa.

SHAREESA - Sure, I'll go back out and tell Seth that you're on the phone but will be right out okay?

TIA - Oh thank you.

SHAREESA - No problem.

TIA thinks - Good! I hope this is Camille!

(SHAREESA leaves and TIA reaches in her purse for her cell phone. She answers it without even looking at the display.)

TIA - Hello?

PHIL - Hey. What you up to?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BUCK is in his room and he pulls out his play book to look over some plays for next week's big game.

BUCK thinks - I gotta read this stuff now. Next week's game is huge!

(BUCK opens the book.)

BUCK thinks - We play Ahpla to get into the playoffs! Damn, how often does that happen? Like never!

(The phone rings.)

BUCK - Damn!

(He looks over at the phone.)

BUCK thinks - This better not be Marcus! I told that fool to stop calling me! Damn!

(BUCK picks the phone up.)

BUCK - Hello.

LEAH - Did you say from the first time you saw June you basically fell in love with her?

BUCK - Well I didn't say fall in love.

LEAH - But you knew from when you first laid eyes on her.

BUCK - Yeah. I said that.

(silence)

BUCK - Why?

LEAH - When you first met June, wasn't she still dating Derrick? And weren't you still with me?

BUCK - What?

LEAH - When you first met your...fiancee, wasn't that when...

(BUCK interrupts.)

BUCK - Leah what difference does it make? I don't really have time to discuss this right now. I gotta go.

LEAH - Wait! Why you can't talk now all of a sudden? You were talkin' fine ten minutes ago?

BUCK - Because ten minutes ago I wasn't looking at plays for the big game.

LEAH - I think this is more important than your game.

BUCK - I think not.

(silence)

BUCK - Leah, first of all, this game is against Ahpla and this determines if we enter the playoffs. Secondly, and more importantly...

(BUCK emphasizes his next words loudly.)

BUCK - What...difference...does...it...make!

LEAH - It makes a difference to me and if you're my friend...

(BUCK's other line rings.)

BUCK - Damn! Now everybody wants to call when I gotta study!

LEAH - Buck...

BUCK - Leah, I gotta go.

LEAH - Buck...

(BUCK clicks over.)

BUCK - Hello.

KENNY - Buck! Dog a huge fight broke out between the Alphas and the Kappas!

BUCK - What!

KENNY - Bruh, over at the happy hour! It's crazy over there I heard!

BUCK - At the happy hour?

KENNY - Yeah! We need to get down there and see what's up!

BUCK - Hell yeah! June went down there!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ROSALIND - Dallas? Dallas Texas?

ANGELIQUE - No, Dallas Africa. Of course Dallas Texas!

(ANGELIQUE laughs and turns the page in her textbook.)

ROSALIND - Shut up okay?

JENNIFER - Well I guess we can talk. I mean damn, can't even get sorors together nowadays.

ANDY - The sorors that need to be here to hear this are here. The sorors from Amgis.

ROSALIND - But that wasn't all the sorors involved.

ANDY - And that's why we need to talk about this. We shouldn't have involved ourselves with the activities of Ahpla sorors like that. I said it once and I'll sa it again. None of you all understand the risk you put this chapter in by doing what you simply see as helping out or trying to bring Alexis in.

(ANGELIQUE closes her book and starts to pay attention.)

ANDY - You guys are neos and you're excited and have a zeal for the sorority and all that's great. But people get suspended when they don't think. People get suspended when they don't listen. People get hurt when they don't follow directions. Luckily none of that happened this particular time.

ROSALIND - Call me naive or stupid or a neophyte. But I fail to see the big deal here. I don't know all the rules and regulations inside out, but I do know that nothing was done illegal to Alexis. She was brought in the right way by some sorors that care. What in the world is the harm in helping out?

ANDY - What's the harm?

ROSALIND - Yeah, what's the big deal?

JENNIFER - Yeah.

ANDY - Okay let me begin.

(ANDY reaches into her bag and pulls out some documents.)

ANDY - This look familiar to anyone?

JENNIFER - What's that?

ANDY - I didn't think you knew what it was. It's called a handbook. You know, simple rules and regulations?

JENNIFER - Oh.

ANDY - All of you should have read this. Thoroughly. Have you?

(silence)

ANGELIQUE - I did.

ROSALIND - Shut up.

ANDY - First. Do you guys know how long Alexis was on line?

JENNIFER - I think she started...

(JENNNIFER looks in the air to try and remember.)

JENNIFER - Um...

ROSALIND - I think it was...wait, wait, she started...

ANDY - You don't know. Let's just say that the time that she was supposed to be conducting intake could be multiplied by seven to give you her actual time on line. Rule violation.

ANGELIQUE - Seven?

ANDY - Seven.

ROSALIND - Seven? Are you sure?

(ANDY looks at ROS sternly.)

ANDY - Seven.

JENNIFER - Wow, I didn't even realize it had been that long.

ANDY - That's my point. If you read this, you'll see numerous violations that took place. Numerous. Too many to even name. And like I said, luckily nothing bad happened. But that's luck.

ROSALIND - So you're telling me that everybody across the board goes according to the guidelines and follows it to the letter? I don't believe that.

ANDY - I don't care what everybody does. I'm president of this chapter. Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority. Amgis College. That's all I care about. I don't give a damn...

(ANDY slams the document down.)

ANDY - ...what everyone else does! Now look! You guys need to start waking up and smelling the damn coffee! I'm president and I'm a prophyte. But I'm not a babysitter! If you wanna run this chapter the way you want to run it, fine. Vote me out of office and go about your merry way. But if you want leadership that will place this sorority in the place it needs to be on this campus and in this region, then do what the hell I say because I know what I'm doing!

(silence)

ANDY - I made copies of these rule. I know you all have them, but nonetheless, take these.

(ANDY reaches into her bag and starts to pull them out. JENNIFER still wants to ask about ALEXIS crossing without her but she doesn't want to bring it up now.)

ANDY - Here, pass these around. I don't want to talk about this bullshit with Alexis anymore. Alexis is a soror now, so she is as welcome as any soror is into our home. No problem. But this mess about her pledging is water under the bridge now. A bridge that we're not crossing anymore.

(Everyone is listening and flipping through the pages at the same time.)

ANDY - Have I made myself clear sorors?

ANGELIQUE - Yeah I got you.

ANDY - Jenn? Ros?

JENNIFER - Yes.

(ROSALIND looks up.)

ROSALIND - Yeah Andrea. I got you.

ANDY - Good. Are there any further questions or concerns.

(JENNIFER looks at ROS who is silent.)

ANDY - Anything else?

(silence)

ANDY - Okay good. I have an exam to study for so if you ladies will excuse me, I will see you on Tuesday at the homeless shelter for the service project. Okay?

ANGELIQUE - Oh I may not be able to make it. Got a presentation the next day.

ANDY - Okay. Ros, Jenn? See yall there?

JENNIFER - Yeah.

ROSALIND - See ya there.

ANDY - Okay. Talk to yall later.

(ANDY quickly packs her bag and walks out.)

(silence)

ANGELIQUE - Got questions? Ha ha ha ha ha ha!

(ROSALIND stares at ANGELIQUE but doesn't laugh.)

ROSALIND - You're not funny.

ANGELIQUE - Yeah but yall are. Ha ha ha, I'll talk to yall later.

(ANGELIQUE gets up to leave.)

ROSALIND - We're out of here too.

JENNIFER - Yeah.

(The three walk out together and walk outside in silence. ROSALIND breaks the silence as they cross the street.)

ROSALIND - I still don't see the huge deal. Come on. How many violations could've been broken?

ANGELIQUE - That's Andy's point. If you're not familiar with the handbook back and front, in and out, how can you tell how many were broken?

ROSALIND - And it's not like I never read the handbook before.

ANGELIQUE - I know we've all read it. But at the same time, we don't read it daily or know all the rules off memory. Ya know? And I don't think we have to. We just need to be careful. That's all Andy is stressin'.

JENNIFER - Well I'm gonna read mine a few times tonight. I think I might need to brush up.

(JENNIFER reaches into her shoulder bag to grab it and read it on the way home.)

JENNIFER - Hey Angie, did I give you my copy?

ANGELIQUE - No, I have mine right here.

JENNIFER - I put it in my bag and now...

(JENNIFER stops walking and looks in her bag.)

JENNIFER - What the heck?

ROSALIND - Are you sure you put it in your bag?

JENNIFER - Yeah, where else would it be?

ANGELIQUE - Did it fall out? Maybe you left it in the room.

(JENNIFER is looking on the ground.)

ROSALIND - Well we didn't go far. It has to be between here and the room. Let's just walk back and find it.

JENNIFER - Okay.

ANGELIQUE - I think we need to hurry up. What if someone stumbles across our handbook and picks it up?

(They look at one another.)

JENNIFER - Okay come on!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BUCK and KENNY get to the happy hour. There are a lot of people around. BUCK is looking for JUNE.

KENNY - Are you sure she came down here bruh?

BUCK - Yes I'm sure! She always comes to this stupid shit!

KENNY - And you called her cell phone?

BUCK - Yes! She's not answering man! Now look for her for me! You go that way.

(BUCK points and starts walking in the other direction.)

BUCK - June!

(BUCK sees a familiar face and he runs over.)

BUCK - Yo! Malcolm! What the hell happened man?

(MALCOLM turns around.)

MALCOLM - Buck! I don't know. I think the Alphas and the Nupes went at it. I was inside and I saw a commotion on the side where the tables are and then people started to run out to see what was going on. I just followed the traffic outside because the fight went right out the door.

BUCK - Damn!

MALCOLM - Now there's a bunch of little fights kickin' off every ten minutes. One dude had a busted up nose.

BUCK - Did you see June out here?

MALCOLM - Naw...but I did see some AKAs over there. A bunch of them were right in the middle of some mix over there.

(BUCK looks and immediately follows where MALCOLM is pointing.)

BUCK thinks - I hope June wasn't caught up out here in no mess! Damn that girl is gonna drive me crazy!

(BUCK starts to push through the crowd to get to the front. Since he's taller, he can see over everyone and still doesn't see JUNE. He thinks he sees RENEE though.)

BUCK thinks - Is that Renee?

BUCK - Renee! Nay!

(As BUCK changes direction, a fight breaks out right next to him.)

JUNE - Oh gosh! Another fight is starting! We need to get up out of here Akina!

AKINA - Not without Renee! Where the hell did she go?

JUNE - I don't know but this is getting ugly Akina! Where's Eric?

AKINA - He left! I'm sure of that! But we can't leave Renee!

JUNE - I know but what are we supposed to do? I already lost my bag and my phone!

AKINA - I know! As soon as we spot Renee, we're out! She can't be far! Renee! Renee!

JUNE - Renee! Skeeeeeeeeeeeeeee weeeeeeeeeeee!

(The crowd is so loud, JUNE and AKINA are being drowned out.)

JUNE thinks - This is...

(JUNE turns to look for RENEE and she sees BUCK in the middle of a commotion.)

JUNE - Buck!

(JUNE starts to rush toward BUCK.)

JUNE - Buck baby!

(JUNE looses sight of BUCK but she sees two campus police officers rush toward the area.)

JUNE - Buck! Buck!

(She makes her way through the people who are starting to move away.)

JUNE thinks - Where did he go?

(When JUNE gets through she sees the police separating two guys and pulling guys off a pile on the ground.)

JUNE thinks - Where the hell is...oh God!

(JUNE rushes to BUCK who is on the ground holding his ankle.)

JUNE - Baby!

BUCK - June! Aw!

(BUCK whinces in pain.)

JUNE - Baby! Buck what happened?

BUCK - I don't... I don't know...

(BUCK tries to stand up but can't put weight on his ankle.)

BUCK - Aw shit!

JUNE - Are you okay?

BUCK - Somebody hit me from behind! Right on my leg!

No comments: