Monday, February 11, 2008

Episode 9

The Centaur pledgees of Iota Phi Theta Fraternity run from the Omega house with the Omega Sta-Que. They both run for at least ten blocks. They stop from exhaustion, put the statue down and rest on a tree.

CENTAUR MARK - We did it! We got this stupid thing! I hope Sean is happy!

CENTAUR DWAYNE - I know he will be. I know he will.

CENTAUR MARK - Regardless, the point is, mission accomplished!

CENTAUR DWAYNE - I know that's right!

(They slap each other high fives as a familiar Mercedes Benz drives by...slows down...stops...and backs up. Both MARK and DWAYNE look on speechless as the window rolls down.)

DR. MWATSUMI - You two...get in. Now.

CENTAUR MARK thinks - Oh shit!

CENTAUR DWAYNE thinks - Oh good! Big Brother Doctor Shieldgood! He's nice to us and may give us a ride! Good!

(MARK and DWAYNE look at one another then approach the car and get in.)

CENTAURS - Hello Big Brother Doctor Shieldgood!

DR. MWATSUMI - What are you two doing running around out here? And what's that on the ground over there?

(DR. MWATSUMI points to the Sta-Que that is on the sidewalk.)

CENTAUR MARK - Uh...I don't know what tha...

CENTAUR DWAYNE - Oh...that's just the statue thing from the Omega Psi Phi house. We had instructions to bring it back.

CENTAUR MARK thinks - You idiot!

DR. MWATSUMI - Instructions? You got instructions to take that statue from the Omega Psi Phi house?

CENTAUR DWAYNE - Yes Big Brother Doctor Shieldgood!

(CENTAUR DWAYNE smiles, CENTAUR MARK sighs and closes his eyes.)

(silence)

DR. MWATSUMI - Who told you to take this thing from their fraternity house?

CENTAUR DWAYNE - Big Brother Brown Confusion Gold Illusion.

DR. MWATSUMI thinks - Sean!

DR. MWATSUMI - Let me explain something to you guys. And this is a definite lesson that you will be able to use as men of Iota. There are certain things that you stay away from once you are a member of a Greek letter organization. And disrespect is something that you most certainly stay far from. This is very important. If everyone felt this way about the organizations, we would get a lot more accomplished. Do you understand?
CENTAURS - Yes Big Brother Doctor Shieldgood!

DR. MWATSUMI - Stealing this object from the Omega Psi Phi house is extremely disrespectful. Extremely! And it will definitely bring repurcussions toward the Iota brothers both involved and not involved. The Omegas just performed something disrespectful toward our brothers, but for us to repay that gesture would only serve to place us on their level. And men of Iota live up to a higher standard than that. Do you understand?
CENTAURS - Yes Big Brother Doctor Shieldgood!

DR. MWATSUMI - We can no longer go tit for tat with each other. There's too much divisiveness amongst Black men of fraternities. If we could put our petty differences aside and come together, we could change the world. Do you know how much we could accomplish if we all worked together as opposed to working against one another? Do you realize that if every Black Greek voted for the same thing, do you understand what kind of power that is? We cannot continue to do these things. Does what I am saying make sense to you gentlemen?
CENTAUR MARK - Yes it does Big Brother.

CENTAUR DWAYNE - It makes a lot of sense Big Brother Doctor Shieldgood.

DR. MWATSUMI - Good. I'm glad you agree with me. Now this is what you're gonna do. You're gonna grab that trophy thing or whatever it is, and you're gonna march right back up to the Omega Psi Phi house and knock on the door and return it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The brothers of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity are meeting to plan their P.I.M.P. (Phrozen Ice Mighty Pharoahs) Party.

BANE - My thing is this. If we're gonna do this, we need to set a precedent for parties from now on. Know what I mean?
ROBBIE - Like what?

BANE - Like, what if at the party, we had it decorated like a jungle. Like with trees, and apes, and all kinds of stuff like that.

KEN - Not a bad idea.

ROBBIE - Yeah, that's cool. Let me write that down.

KEN - Cool, we can spit some ideas and you can write em down Rob.

ROBBIE - Yeah. Go ahead.

BANE - And what if we had section, like in the corner that we decorated like an icy area. Like we make it seem like everything in one corner is frozen.

KEN - Yeah, and we could call that the VIP section. Very Icy People!

(They all laugh.)

ROBBIE - That's good. What else?

BANE - We should let the AKAs in for free.

ROBBIE - How about for half price?

KEN - How about free Robbie. Damn.

(ROBBIE laughs.)

ROBBIE - Aight aight, I'll send Renee an email. AKAs in free.

BANE - How much we gonna charge for the other Greeks?
ROBBIE - Fuck them.

(They all laugh.)

ROBBIE - Naw seriously, we can do them for a special price. Like one dollar for all Greeks with their letters on.

KEN - That's cool.

(ROBBIE writes that down.)

ROBBIE - See with that on the flier, all the Greeks will want to come and it won't just be Alphas and AKAs up in there.

BANE - Yeah.

KEN - That's usually how it is too. A frat on the yard throws a party and only they go. We don't support each other.

BANE - Yeah but I tell ya what. I can't lie about that Kappa party that they have every year. I went to that jam last year and it was kinda nice.

KEN - Oh yeah?

BANE - Yeah. I think because it's the first party and a lot of the freshman go. It was jam packed and real hot. I can't lie.

KEN - Are they planning it again?
BANE - I think they do it every year.

ROBBIE - Oh shit!

KEN - What?
ROBBIE - Are you talking about the Kappa Kool Out?

BANE - Yeah, that's it. The Kool Out.

(ROBBIE bends down and picks his back pack off the floor and opens it.)

ROBBIE - Damn damn damn.

KEN - What's up man?
ROBBIE - I remember Jay and Eric coming to me at the last pan hel meeting and telling me about the date that they wanted for their party. And look, they got fliers out already.

KEN - So what?
ROBBIE - So what? Look at this flier!

(ROBBIE hands the flier to KEN. BANE gets up and walks over to look at it as well.)

BANE - What?
ROBBIE - This is the same day we just said we'd do the P.I.M.P. party!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR. COLIN MWATSUMI has just instructed the two pledgees of Iota Phi Theta to bring the Sta-Que that they just stole back to the Omega house and return it.

DR. MWATSUMI - This is what you're gonna do. You're gonna grab that trophy thing or whatever it is, and you're gonna march right back up to the Omega Psi Phi house and knock on the door and return it.

CENTAUR MARK thinks - What!

CENTAUR DWAYNE - Excuse me Big Brother?

DR. MWATSUMI - You heard me. I don't like to repeat myself.

CENTAUR MARK - Big Brother Doctor Shieldgood...excuse me questionning your far superior Iota judgement, but I don't know if that is the...

(MARK chooses his words carefully.)

CENTAUR MARK - ...if that is the wisest decision.

DR. MWATSUMI - Are you questionning my judgement?

CENTAUR MARK - Oh no, of course not Big Brother, it's just that...

DR. MWATSUMI - Good. Then take it back.

CENTAUR MARK - But Big Brother, there are a few Omegas there now and they aren't gonna be too happy when they see this thing missing and that we took it.

DR. MWATSUMI - You should've thought about that when you stole from their house.

CENTAUR MARK - But Big Brother Brown Confusion Gold Illusion told us to.

DR. MWATSUMI - If Sean told you to jump off of a bridge, would you do it? I'll deal with Sean myself. Now Dwayne, go pick up that trophy thing and get back in the car.

(DWAYNE gets out.)

DR. MWATSUMI - Mark, from now on don't question a big brother's judgement. Especially mine. I'm the one saving Iotas at Ahpla from being suspended. If i didn't have a relationship with President Bryce, we would be gone by now. Do you understand me?
CENTAUR MARK - Yes.

DR. MWATSUMI - Yes what?

CENTAUR MARK - Yes Big Brother Doctor Shieldgood.

(MARK is pissed. DWAYNE gets back into the car with the Sta-Que. DR. MWATSUMI turns the car around and starts to drive back toward the Que house.)

DR. MWATSUMI - You two will thank me for this when you cross and there is Greek harmony across both campuses.

CENTAUR MARK thinks - Yeah right!

(DR. MWATSUMI drives up to the Omega house and double parks. Now get out and ring the bell. Return the thing and I'll wait right here.)

CENTAURS - Yes Big Brother Doctor Shieldgood.

(The two get out and walk up the steps of the Omega house.)

CENTAUR MARK whispers - Why the fuck you tell him we took this from the Que house! You idiot!

CENTAUR DWAYNE whispers - I don't know. I thought we could trust him.

CENTAUR MARK whispers - He's a big brother you ass! We don't tell any of them shit that we don't have to! Now we may get our asses kicked by these Ques!

(MARK hesitates and looks back at DR. MWATSUMI who is waiting in the car. He then places the Sta-Que on the ground between himself and DWAYNE and rings the doorbell.)

CENTAUR DWAYNE - Maybe we can say we say someone stealing this and we apprehended it back for them.

CENTAUR MARK - Shut the hell up Dwayne. You got us in enough trouble. Just be quiet and let me handl...

(MARK and DWAYNE are very surprised to hear a car drive off. They turn around and see DR. MWATSUMI's Mercedes reach the end of the block and turn the corner.)

CENTAUR MARK - Oh shit! Dr. Mwatsumi played us and left us hanging!

(The front door of the house starts to open.)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HOLLY walks into the Morse Recreation Center. She sees her soror TRACEY with her sister AISHA.

HOLLY - Hey.

AISHA - Hi Holly.

TRACEY - Hey what up.

(TRACEY and HOLLY hug. HOLLY sits down.)

HOLLY - What yall talkin' about?
TRACEY - Nothing much. Just kickin' it before class.

HOLLY - Being lazy huh?
TRACEY - Yeah, what time is it? I'm stalling until the last possible second before I gotta get up and go. Ha ha ha ha.

HOLLY - It's like one o'clock.

TRACEY - Is it one o' clock exactly? Or like five minutes to one?
HOLLY - What difference does it make? Don't you have class at one?

TRACEY - I have class at one o' five. That's what time class officially starts. And I have to allow enough time for me to get up and walk across the yard to the Cleaver Center. Then I'll probably see a few cuties across the yard so I'm gonna need at least two or three minutes to strut my stuff.

AISHA - Oh God!

(They all laugh.)

TRACEY - Then the teacher walks in at about one o' six. So that gives me an extra minute, and then...

HOLLY - Tracey, get up and go.

(TRACEY laughs.)

TRACEY - Okay okay! I'll see yall later.

HOLLY - Have a good walk across campus.

(TRACEY laughs again as she gets up and grabs her bag to walk out.)

TRACEY thinks - I guess I got like three minutes or so. Hee hee.

(TRACEY walks out of the Morse Center and looks across the yard. It's a sunny day so there are a lot of people walking and talking.)

TRACEY thinks - I'm so glad I go to Amgis!

(TRACEY starts to walk across the yard and she sees a cute guy.)

TRACEY thinks - Ooooh, fine!

(She slows down on purpose and puts a little shake in her walk. She smiles to herself as she sees the guy check her out.)

TRACEY thinks - If I smile back, I know he'll speak.

(She looks up at the clock tower that has just rung one o' clock.)

TRACEY thinks - Dag, I don't have a lot of time!

(As she looks back toward the cute guy, she sees another male student. A semi familiar face.)

TRACEY thinks - Isnt that...

RASHIM - Tracey! Hey Tracey wait up!

TRACEY thinks - Oh no!

(RASHIM runs up to catch TRACEY. He drops his books in the process of running. His book lands at TRACEY's feet. TRACEY looks down, then back at the cute guy who is now walking away.)

TRACEY thinks - Dammit!

RASHIM - Hi, hey.

TRACEY - Uh...

RASHIM - You remember me right? Rashim. I saw you and your girl in the mall.

TRACEY - Oh yeah, you're Marcus' friend.

TRACEY thinks - Yeah, fine ass Marcus.

RASHIM - Yeah. That's my boy.

TRACEY - How's he doin'? I haven't seen him either and my soror Renee was asking about him.

RASHIM - He's cool. Just chillin out.

TRACEY - Let me ask you Rashim...

RASHIM - Ask me out?

(RASHIM smiles.)

TRACEY - Uh...no. Let me ask you about Marcus. Does he have a girlfriend? I was trying to play cupid between him and my girl and it just seemed like he wasn't really interested.

RASHIM - I can tell you this, and I don't care about puttin' a nigga's business out there. Ha ha ha ha! I think he liked your girl Renee too. But he was saying some shit about her being with a lot of guys or something. Something he heard about her when they first met. One of your sorors hipped him to her.

TRACEY - What?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The brothers of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity have just realize that the Kappa party is on the same day that they were planning their party.

ROBBIE - I remember the Kappas coming to me at the last pan hel meeting and telling me about the date that they wanted for their party. And look, they got fliers out already.

KEN - So what?
ROBBIE - So what? Look at this flier!

(ROBBIE hands the flier to KEN. BANE gets up and walks over to look at it as well.)

BANE - What?
ROBBIE - This is the same day we just said we'd do the P.I.M.P. party!

KEN - Oh damn!
BANE - Shit, can we change our date?

ROBBIE - But we just said that the Kappa party is hot because it's the first party. If we do our party after their party, how will that come off?

KEN - Yeah.

BANE - But you already told them that they could do it right?

(ROBBIE thinks.)

ROBBIE - Yeah I did but...

(silence)

ROBBIE - Hold on a second bros.

(ROBBIE reaches into his bag again and pulls out his cell phone.)

BANE - Who you callin'?

(ROBBIE is dialing.)

ROBBIE - Shhhhhhhhh.

(ROBBIE waits for someone to answer.)

ROBBIE - It pays to be pan hel president. Ha ha ha ha!

(ROBBIE looks out the window as he begins to speak.)

ROBBIE - Jay, wassup man this is Robbie.

JAY - Hey Robbie, what's good yo?

ROBBIE - Say man, I got some terrible news.

JAY - You do? What's up?
ROBBIE - Man, I just found out that you guys can't have that party on the day that I approved for you.

JAY - What! We can't? Why not?

ROBBIE - Dude, I just got word from the administation building that we can't do any parties that night. There will be no activities held on Amgis' campus anywhere.

JAY - What!

ROBBIE - Yeah man, that's what I just got in a memo.

JAY - That's fucked up! How they gonna cancel everything across the whole campus! What's the reason?
ROBBIE - They weren't specific at all man.

JAY - What the fuck?

ROBBIE - I know man, I know. It's messed up.

(ROBBIE smiles.)

JAY - I mean, we already got fliers up and shit and a lot of nukkas look at us for our parties!

ROBBIE - Yeah, I saw one of the fliers. I think Eric gave it to me.

JAY - Well what the hell are we supposed to do now?

(silence)

ROBBIE - You want me to submit the paperwork for the following week?

(JAY thinks about it.)

JAY - Damn man!
ROBBIE - I know Jay, I know.

JAY - If we got no choice, then fine. Make it the next week.

(ROBBIE smiles.)

ROBBIE - Aight man.

JAY - Dammit, we gotta take all those fliers down and somehow let everyone on campus know that the party is off.

ROBBIE - You can probably get the fliers down quick. That won't be a problem.

JAY- But what about all the people that'll probably know already and are gonna show up?
ROBBIE - You think a lot of people will go there just because?
JAY - Dude, our party is the most attended party on campus! Everyone knows and is waiting for it!

(ROBBIE smiles.)

ROBBIE - I guess we'll just have to work something out with all those folk. Don't worry man, yall's party will be aight.

JAY - Damn.

ROBBIE - I'll talk to ya lata Jay.

JAY - Aight Robbie.

(ROBBIE laughs loudly as they hang up.)

ROBBIE - Ha ha ha ha!

(ROBBIE grabs his pen and begins to write again)

ROBBIE - So what else we need for the party bros?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RASHIM - I can tell you this, and I don't care about puttin' a nigga's business out there. Ha ha ha ha! I think he liked your girl Renee too. But he was saying some shit about her being with a lot of guys or something. Something he heard about her when they first met. One of your sorors hipped him to her.

TRACEY - What?

RASHIM - Yeah, that's what he told me.

TRACEY - Renee is the sweetest person in the whole world. She ain't seein' nobody and isn't even like that.

RASHIM - You're just sayin' that because that's your girl.

TRACEY - No seriously! Renee is a sweetheart and hasn't had a boyfriend in a long time. Like a real long time. And she aint the kind of girl to just be out there like that.

RASHIM - Well she didn't seem like it from first impressions. I can admit that.

TRACEY - I'm real shocked that somebody said that about her. And you said a soror said it? That can't be true.

RASHIM - Well that's what Marcus said. I think.

TRACEY - Are you sure?
RASHIM - I'm pretty sure.

TRACEY - Well look, I think Renee likes him and he seems like a great guy.

RASHIM - Yeah, Marc is cool. Real down to earth brother. A good guy.

TRACEY- Yeah. Damn, that's messed up that somebody is talking bad about my girl.

RASHIM - Yeah.

(TRACEY looks up at the clock tower.)

TRACEY - Oh shit, I gotta go to class.

RASHIM - Yeah, me too! Which way you walkin'?
TRACEY- Cleaver.

RASHIM - Oh. I gotta go this way.

TRACEY - Oh okay. Well take care Rashim. I'm gonna talk to Renee.

RASHIM - And I'm gonna holla at Marcus about that.

TRACEY - Yeah, do that. Please.
RASHIM - Sure thing.

(TRACEY turns to leave.)

RASHIM - Maybe we all could hang out. Like double date or something.

(TRACEY smiles to herself.)

TRACEY - Maybe.

TRACEY thinks - Whatever!

(RASHIM turns toward his class on the other side of the yard and pulls out his cell phone.)

RASHIM thinks - Wait til Marcus finds out that Renee is legit! He needs to thank me! Shit!

(RASHIM dials MARCUS' phone.)

RASHIM thinks - Answer man! I gotta go to class!

(MARCUS looks at his cell but doesn't answer.)

MARCUS - It's only Rashim. I'll call him back later on.

KIM - Are you sure? Don't let me interrupt you or anything.

MARCUS - Naw it's cool. He don't want nothing important. Just something silly probably.

KIM - Okay.

MARCUS - Can I get you anything else?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SEAN - Hello?
DR. MWATSUMI - Hello Brother Sean, this is Colin.

SEAN - Hey frat! How are you?

DR. MWATSUMI - I'm well. Sean, I need to talk to you about something very serious.

SEAN - Sure sir, hold on.

(SEAN places the phone down and turns his music down.)

SEAN - Doc?
DR. MWATSUMI - Yes, I'm here Sean.

SEAN - Okay. What's so serious? What can I do for you sir?
DR. MWATSUMI - Sean, I found out something disturbing today.

SEAN - Yeah? What's that?
DR. MWATSUMI - Sean, did you instruct the Centaur pledge brothers to go to the Omega Psi Phi house and steal a trophy for you?
SEAN - Yes sir I did.

(silence)

DR. MWATSUMI - Well Sean, I found out that the Centaurs failed in their mission. For some reason, they weren't able to acquire the trophy like you asked them to.

No comments: