Monday, February 11, 2008

Episode 48

Sigma Gamma Rho sorors JENNIFER and ROSALIND are walking across Amgis' yard.

ROSALIND - You just don't understand! If you knew how hard this class is, you'd understand why I want to celebrate!

JENNIFER - I mean, I heard its no joke. But how many times you gonna say that you aced an exam?

ROSALIND - No see, you don't seem to understand. I did way more than ace an exam. I got one hundred on that joint! I was the only hundred...

JENNIFER - In the entire class. I know. You told me.

ROSALIND - You're not feeling me. You're so not feeling me.

JENNIFER - Sorry.

ROSALIND - I need someone that wants to celebrate with me.

JENNIFER - How about him?

(JENNIFER nods toward a guy walking on the yard as well.)

ROSALIND - Oooh, he's cute. Call him over so I can tell him about my exam.

JENNIFER - Excuse me... can we talk to you for a minute.

ROSALIND whispers - Girl is you crazy! I was just kidding!

(The guy comes over.)

JENNIFER - Sorry to bother you but my soror here is just so happy and she needs to share her joy with someone. Do you mind listening to what she has to say?

GARY - Uh... sure. I guess.

(He laughs.)

JENNIFER - Go head Ros, tell him.

(ROS blushes.)

ROSALIND - Oh its no big deal. Its just that...

JENNIFER - No big deal? Naw, tell him how you were the only one to...

ROSALIND - Shut up alright!

(ROS turns back to GARY.)

ROSALIND - I'm taking honors accounting and...

GARY - Hey I am too!

ROSALIND - You are? I never see you in there.

GARY - Well when is your class?

ROSALIND - Eleven.

GARY - I take it at two.

ROSALIND - You do? I didn't know there were two classes.

GARY - Oh yeah. Is your class packed? Because mine is. Its mostly people taking Dr. Mendez over.

ROSALIND - Aint that the truth!

GARY - How did you do on the last exam?

JENNIFER thinks - Here it comes.

ROSALIND - I did okay.

JENNIFER - What!

GARY - Well I'm struggling! That one class is gonna mess up my gpa!

ROSALIND - Well maybe we could study together some time.

GARY - Sure. Let me get your cell.

ROSALIND - Seven six four, one eight five five.

GARY - Cool! I'm dialing you now so you can have my number too.

(ROSALIND smiles.)

ROSALIND - Okay cool. Nice meeting you I'm Rosalind.

GARY - Definitely! And I'm Gary. Oh and what was the good news you were supposed to tell me or something?

ROSALIND - Oh it was nothing.

JENNIFER - Yes it is! She's been braggin' on the fact that she got a perfect score on the exam.

GARY - You got a one hundred from Mendez?

ROSALIND - Yeah, I got lucky.

GARY - Lucky! Well rub me lady luck! I'm gonna call you tomorrow!

(ROS laughs flirtatously.)

ROSALIND - Okay.

GARY - See ya Rosalind! Talk to you tomorrow.

ROSALIND - Bye.

(GARY walks away.)

JENNIFER - Oh yeah, and my name is Jenn.

(ROSALID laughs.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The ladies of Alpha Kappa Alpha, RENEE, HOLLY and TRACEY are hanging out and talking about GINA and MIRI's wedding.

RENEE - Well I think its beautiful. I don't care what you say.

HOLLY - I didn't say it wasn't beautiful. I just said I wouldn't do it.

TRACEY- Aint nobody tryin' to marry your ass anyway.

(They all laugh.)

HOLLY - Girl please! I got all kind of men beatin' down my door! They want me they want me!

(They laugh as HOLLY shakes like she is slow dancing.)

RENEE - Stupid.

HOLLY - I'm just sayin'. I think when you're in college you too young to be thinking about marriage. To me, I think you should graduate and get settled. What if they both graduate and want to do separate things? What if one wants to travel and one doesn't? I just think its too soon for them.

RENEE - But think about it, they already went to Africa and spent some time there. They already got a little boy that they taking care of. They got a family already. I think Gina is lucky. I mean, look at the other dudes running around Amgis. Most of them are dogs and who knows who's on the downlow nowadays.

TRACEY - I know that's right!

RENEE - So if you find a good man who treats you well and handles his business, I say go for it.

TRACEY - Yep!

HOLLY - Desparate heffas.

(They all laugh.)

HOLLY - Yo! Speaking of heffas! Did I tell yall that...

TRACEY - Hold it hold it hold it.

HOLLY - What?

TRACEY - Is this some gossip? Cuz you know how you are.

RENEE - Yeah, I don't wanna hear no drama Holly.

HOLLY - No! Trust me, you're gonna wanna know this!

TRACEY - Please spare us!

HOLLY - Shut up! Listen... I spoke to Jahanna and she told me that she's transferring out of Ahpla!

TRACEY - Who?

HOLLY - You remember Jahanna! She was interested.

RENEE - Yeah, I know her! Her brother is Buck's frat.

HOLLY - Yeah! Dexter!

RENEE - Wow, why is she leaving?

HOLLY - She said she isn't happy there anymore and just wants to move on.

RENEE - Wow, really?

HOLLY - Yeah.

TRACEY - Well I hope it isn't an issue with herself. Because no matter where ya go, the issue remains.

HOLLY - I don't know but I kinda feel bad. I liked her.

RENEE - Yeah, she's cool. Speaking of Buck... let me call him. Yall know he's having a birthday party.

HOLLY - Yeah, I heard!

TRACEY - You hear everything! Damn is there something you don't know?

HOLLY - I don't know how fast I can kick your butt but I'm bout to find out.

(RENEE dials and waits for BUCK to answer.)

RENEE - Yall are so corny. I'm supposed to help Buck plan his party. I need to holla at him and see what he wants to do.

TRACEY - Just have basketballs everywhere. He'll be happy.

RENEE - Well you know Buck is on my list right now. Him and June are going through some problems and he's just being stubborn and...

GINGER - Hello?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JENNIFER - You didn't even introduce me!

ROSALIND - You were such a loud mouth in calling him over, you should've done it yourself!

JENNIFER - Whatever! He is cute though!

ROSALIND - Yeah he is!

DWAYNE - Who's so cute?

(DWAYNE has snuck up from behind and grabbed JENNIFER in a bear hug.)

JENNIFER - Ahhhhh!

DWAYNE - Hey.

JENNIFER - Boy! You scared the crap out of me!

(She slaps his arm as he laughs.)

DWAYNE - You shouldn't have been talking about cute guys... unless you was talking about me.

JENNIFER - You know I was.

DWAYNE - Yeah, right. Wassup Ros.

ROSALIND - Hey D.

DWAYNE - Where yall headed?

ROSALIND - Different directions actually. I gotta head this way.

JENNIFER - Oh, cool girl. I'll holla at you later. Congrats on your exam.

ROSALIND - Oh yeah! Hey Dwayne, I got a one hundred from Mendez.

DWAYNE - What! His class is hard as shit!

ROSALIND - I know! I was the only hundred!

DWAYNE - Well go head with your bad self! Ha ha ha ha!

JENNIFER - Oh brother! Do not encourage her!

ROSALIND - Ha ha, aight you two. See yall later.

JENNIFER - Bye.

(DWAYNE starts to walk with JENNIFER as ROS walks the other way.)

JENNIFER - So wassup with you? You seem to be in a better mood.

DWAYNE - Well, I got some good news.

JENNIFER - You do?

DWAYNE - Yep. I may have a chance to complete my process into I Phi.

JENNIFER - What! That's great! The brothers are reconsidering?

DWAYNE - Well not quite yet, but I hope that they do. I went to see Dr. Mwatsumi.

JENNIFER - Oh, the older professor?

DWAYNE - Yeah and I pleaded my case! And he is trying to help me out. He understands that everybody makes mistakes and he is really looking out.

JENNIFER - Well thats great!

DWAYNE - And not only that, but get this! Why is he running for president of Ahpla University!

JENNIFER - He is?

DWAYNE - Yes! So he has me helping him do some things and in return, he is gonna try and persuade the brothers to let me finish my process.

JENNIFER - Wow! So you're helping him with his campaign?

DWAYNE - Kinda. Its some old top secret mission impossible type shit.

JENNIFER - Oh Lord. What you mean?

DWAYNE - He only has one running opponent. So he has me doing a litle spy tactic type stuff and finding out some things about her. I'm actually working for her in her campaign and she thinks I'm on her side. But I'm not. I'm feeding the Doc all kinds of info on her and helping him gain an advantage.

JENNIFER - You're lying!

DWAYNE - Nope!

JENNIFER - Are you serious?

DWAYNE - Yeah, why?

(DWAYNE notices that JENNIFER is looking concerned. They stop walking.)

JENNIFER - Dwayne, that isn't right. You can't do that.

DWAYNE - Hey babe, all's fair in war and politics. Besides, she is off the wall anyway. You should hear some of the things she has planned for Ahpla U!

JENNIFER - Dwayne that is very dishonest! I can't even believe you agreed to do something like that! How could you?

DWAYNE - People are dishonest all day long. Its no biggie. You're trippin'.

JENNIFER - No you're trippin'. I can't even believe you can justify it by saying that all people are dishonest. What kind of lame excuse reason is that?

DWAYNE - It's not an excuse!

JENNIFER - Yes it is and its stupid and its messed up!

(silence)

JENNIFER - And for what... to get back on line for Iota Phi Theta?

(silence)

JENNIFER - I mean, I could see if it was Kappa or Que but damn!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ERIC, AKINA, JAY and ERIC's mother MRS. ROBINSON are meeting and discussing the rape case from JESSICA.

MRS. ROBINSON - Do you want to go over it again?

ERIC - No. Not if we don't have to.

MRS. ROBINSON - No we don't have to, if you don't want to. Just remember what you're supposed to say... but moreso, what you're not supposed to say for that matter.

ERIC - Okay.

MRS. ROBINSON - Also, remember that we get one shot at this. This is really hit or miss so keep that in mind. We don't get a second chance at this.

JAY - I'm sorry. I'm real sorry because I aint trying to prolong this whole thing but I have a question.

MRS. ROBINSON - No its okay. Go ahead and ask your question.

JAY - It's just that I don't understand how she can do this. I mean, there's so much evidence that the bitch...

(JAY looks at ERIC's mother and chooses better language. She however doesn't flinch.)

JAY - ...uh I mean, that Jessica is lying. With all the stuff at the hospital, with the way she is saying it happened... with her history with E and the fact that she never got over him... I mean, I just don't understand how anybody is taking her seriously.

MRS. ROBINSON - Well understand that a lot of people are taking her very seriously. But we want the evidence to show that this story has many holes in it and she really doesn't have a leg to stand on.

JAY - You know what you're talking about so its all good.

MRS. ROBINSON - Yes.

AKINA - I just can't believe this. I can't even believe she is doing this and we're sitting here discussing it.

ERIC - I should've saw it coming.

MRS. ROBINSON - Don't blame yourself. These kinds of things actually happen. Sometimes people don't want to accept the fact that relationships do end and when they do, some people can't move on. Its psychological.

JAY - You got that right.

MRS. ROBINSON - So don't go blaming yourself. We just hope that after this is over Jessica can get the type of help that she needs. She needs to start seeing a therapist to help her handle these issues.

JAY - Yeah, she needs a shrink!

AKINA - Who believes her anyway? Everyone I talk to knows that Eric is completely innocent.

MRS. ROBINSON - You're talking to students. You need to read the written statement submitted by the security guard. I mean, look at is this way. Let's say one of your male friends came to you and said that his ex girlfriend tried to rape him. What would you think? Honestly?

AKINA - Honestly, I would think that he was lying.

ERIC - But that aint the case. I never said that.

MRS. ROBINSON - I know. But you are claiming that she basically overpowered you to an extent. The guard saw you on top of her and she was screaming for you to get off her. Once they got you off of her, you said that she had power and control over you. I know she did because I know your heart. But for someone that doesn't know you or know Jessica, its hard to believe.

AKINA - I don't know, I still don't quite get it.

MRS. ROBINSON - Don't worry. You don't have to. That's my job.

JAY - So you're actually defending Eric?

MRS. ROBINSON - Not exactly. I did work on the case but my partner is going to be in the courtroom doing the speaking and the work. Its a conflict of interest for me. I'd get emotional.

JAY - Oh yeah.

ERIC - Speaking of the courtroom, and I can't even believe I haven't thought of this or have to think of this for that matter, but how is that gonna work?

MRS. ROBINSON - We go in and sit down. Her lawyer is going to present her case and try and make you look bad. He or she is going to paint a picture of that day and make it very visual. They'll probably throw in that you're in a frat because the perception nowadays is that frat boys cause nothing but trouble. So they're gonna try and use that more than likely.

JAY - Yeah, they're gonna milk that.

MRS. ROBINSON - We then get to cross examine her and pick apart her story. We'll go after the relationship that yall had. The break up. How it made her feel. How the break up affected her. We'll go into how she feels about your current girlfriend. If she is dating anyone right now. Her mental state. Why she was in the hospital in the first place. What happened to the phone line.

JAY - Wow, you got al lot.

MRS. ROBINSON - You have to come prepared. You never know what to expect sometimes.

ERIC - Good.

MRS. ROBINSON - We have copies of her transcripts so we can show how her grades have fallen since the break up.

AKINA - Have her grades been messing up since her and Eric broke up?

MRS. ROBINSON - Somewhat. But we don't know how significant it will be or how it will hold up. But its worth a shot.

ERIC - I can't believe this is so detailed! This is crazy!

(ERIC stands up and clasps his fingers behind his head. He walks toward the window and stares outside.)

JAY - I hate to bring this up but I have another question that I know we probably don't want to focus on.

MRS. ROBINSON - There are no bad questions like I was saying. Everything needs to be considered Jay.

JAY - Okay. Well, in the worst case scenario for us...

MRS. ROBINSON - Uh huh.

JAY - What happens to Eric... like if we lose. What happens then?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RENEE dials BUCK's cell phone and GINGER answers.

GINGER - Hello?

RENEE thinks - What the...

RENEE - Who is this?

GINGER - Excuse you who is this?

RENEE - This is Renee.

GINGER - Oh hi Nay, this is Gin.

RENEE - Ginger?

GINGER - Yeah girl. How you doin'?

RENEE thinks - What the hell are you doing answering Buck's phone!

RENEE - I'm good. Is Buck around?

GINGER - Yeah, hold on. Buck... its Renee on the phone.

(silence)

BUCK - Hey wassup.

RENEE - What the hell is Ginger doing answering your phone!

BUCK - What?

RENEE - You heard me! Why is that girl answering your phone?

HOLLY thinks - Some chick answered Buck's phone? Oooooooh!

BUCK - Hold on.

(silence)

(BUCK goes into a different room.)

BUCK - Yeah, what's your problem?

RENEE - What's the matter with you! You got that chick answering your cell phone?

BUCK - My phone was on the table and she just picked it up. What's the big deal?

RENEE - What's the big deal? The big deal you moron is... what if this was June calling? And you got some next chick answering!

BUCK - June aint calling me. June's mind is made up and she aint even thinking about me. So whatever.

RENEE - How stupid can you be! Ginger is playing you! She had her sights on you when you first walked in that shop to get June that ring! Can't you see that?

BUCK - Oh don't be silly. She's the one who helped me pick out June's ring.

RENEE - Yeah while she was planning on taking you from her all along.

BUCK - Ginger had nothing to do with me and June okay? June and Buck had to do with June and Buck. June was the one who wanted to break up. June was the one who said that I don't understand her. June was the one who told me... not asked me... but told me to not call her again. Not Ginger, June!

RENEE - June did all those things because June loves you with all her heart! And all you're doing is being stupid and breaking it!

BUCK - Renee, what did you call me for?

(silence)

RENEE - I called you to ask you about your birthday party.

BUCK - What about it?

RENEE - Are you doing it at the frat house or did you want to speak to Pharoahs?

BUCK - I was gonna do it at the frat house.

RENEE - Let's talk to Pharoahs instead.

BUCK - Yeah, but how much is that gonna cost? I aint got no loot for this.

RENEE - Let me see what I can do. I'm cool with one of the bouncers and he was saying that they got a small room in the back upstairs. You would never know it was there.

BUCK - Okay. If you want but we don't have a lot of time.

RENEE - I know when it is Buck.

(silence)

BUCK - Thank you.

RENEE - You're welcome.

(silence)

RENEE - Buck, please don't make a mistake that you're gonna regret later.

BUCK - I won't. Don't worry about me. I know what I'm doing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JAY - What happens to Eric if we lose?

MRS. ROBINSON - That's not a bad question at all because we need to all know.

ERIC thinks - Oh God.

MRS. ROBINSON - Well, understand first of all that the case against us is not rape or sexual assault as they like to call it nowadays. Its just assault.

ERIC - Oh okay.

MRS. ROBINSON - Its kind of like attempted rape. You didn't actually do it because someone broke it up.

ERIC - Dag! I didn't do it because I didn't do it.

MRS. ROBINSON - We know. With the assault charge, there are two ways that this can go. It really depends on the judge if you are found guilty. With first time offenders its up in the air. But assault charges carry heavy penalties. We're talking about time in jail.

ERIC - How much?

MRS. ROBINSON - It could be anywhere from 12 months to ten years. It depends.

AKINA - Oh my God!

(silence)

JAY - What does it depend on?

MRS. ROBINSON - How strong her testimony will be. Or her prosecution team actually. Jessica doesn't have to take the stand. She probably won't.

AKINA - Figures! She aint got nothing to say because its all lies!

ERIC - Who is her lawyer? Someone high power?

JESSICA - Has my lawyer called me! Has she called?

KERRYN - No Jess, you asked me that twenty times already!

JESSICA - Well what if she calls and the phone is busy!

(JESSICA walks toward her roommate who is on the phone.)

KERRYN - We have call waiting! Gosh calm down!

JESSICA - Call waiting? Call waiting? If my lawyer already called and you didn't give me the phone... I swear you're gonna regret it!

KERRYN - I said she didn't call alright?

JESSICA - Well! Let me borrow your cell phone!

KERRYN - What! What's wrong with yours?

JESSICA - Its dead right now. Let me borrow yours! I need to call my lawyer!

(KERRYN rolls her eyes as she hands the phone over.)

KERRYN - Don't be on there for a long time! Its day time minutes you know.

(JESSICA smiles as she takes the phone and leaves her roommates room.)

JESSICA thinks - I hate that stupid bitch! I can't wait til I can move out of here!

(She dials.)

RECEPTIONIST - Baker, Young and Rubenstein, how may I direct your call?

JESSICA - Mrs. Edwards please. You can tell her that its Jessica.

RECEPTIONIST - Sure, hold please.

(silence)

MRS. EDWARDS - Valerie Edwards.

JESSICA - Hi Mrs. Edwards, this is Jessica,

MRS. EDWARDS - Hello Jessica, how are you holding up?

JESSICA - Anxious.

MRS. EDWARDS - That's to be expected. We're a few days away and you've been through a whole lot since this whole thing started.

JESSICA - Yes, I definitely have.

MRS. EDWARDS - But don't worry. We're completely ready to go in there and handle this case.

JESSICA - You gonna handle our business huh? You sound like you ready to do the damn thing!

(JESSICA laughs.)

MRS. EDWARDS - Just know that I don't take too well to men who try and overpower women. When that happens, men go down. I don't play around in the courtroom.

JESSICA - Good!

MRS. EDWARDS - Trust me, when I'm done with Eric Robinson, he'll be way too old to mess with any more girls on campus!

No comments: