Monday, February 11, 2008

Episode 7

The brothers of Omega Psi Phi, FRANK and KENNY are getting ready for the chapter meeting.

FRANK - You got the agendas printed up dog?

KENNY - Yeah, they're right here.

FRANK - Thanks.

(KENNY hands FRANK a few papers.)

FRANK - I'll set these out for you bruh.

KENNY - Thanks dog.

(FRANK quickly glances over the papers, then places them down on a few desks.)

FRANK - What time is it?

(KENNY's cell phone rings. He checks the time on his phone as he answers it.)

KENNY - Hello.

CLARENCE - Hey bruh, it's Celo. I'll be there in a few minutes. Runnin' a little late.

KENNY - Cool dog.

CLARENCE - Is anybody there yet?
KENNY - Yeah, Frank is here.

CLARENCE - Okay cool. I'll be right there.

KENNY - Aight.

(They hang up.)

FRANK - Who was that? Buck?
KENNY - Naw, Celo.

FRANK - Oh word? He's comin' through?
KENNY - Yeah, he said he'd be here in a few minutes.

FRANK - Cool!

KENNY - What you doin' this weekend?
FRANK - I don't know. You heard anything?
KENNY - I aint heard shit.

FRANK - Well actually, Camille told me that sorors are doing something for the new sorors from Ahpla. They may have a nice little going over set for them. So bruhs are invited.

KENNY - Oh cool! Where?

FRANK - I don't know, I'll ask Camille and let you know.

KENNY - Don't forget dog, I gotta go to that shit!

FRANK - I hear ya bruh. I got you.

(The door opens as KENNY is checking his watch.)

BUCK - Wassup bruhs!
KENNY - Roo! Roo! Wassup Big Bruh!

FRANK -Hey dog, what's happenin?

BUCK - I'm feelin' good yall. Real good.

KENNY - What you just get some? Or did you score fifty points on a nigga?

(They all laugh.)

BUCK - Naw I got some good news!

FRANK - Oh yeah? What's that?
BUCK - Yall ready? Maybe yall should sit down.

KENNY - What?
FRANK - What kind of crazy shit you bout to drop on us?

(BUCK smiles as he pauses.)

BUCK - My brothers, you are looking at a happy man. The happiest man in the world.

KENNY - Why nigga?
FRANK - Yeah why?
BUCK - I am happy to announce that I am officially engaged. Me and June are getting married!

(silence)

FRANK - Are you serious?
BUCK - Very!

(silence)

(KENNY storms out of the room.)

------------------------------------------------------------

LEAH and ROBBIE are walking back into LEAH's apartment.

ROBBIE - I don't see why you're so shocked. I mean, how long have they been together?

(LEAH opens her door and let's ROBBIE in.)

LEAH - Not that long.

ROBBIE - Yes they have. Everytime I see Buck he's with June.

LEAH - But check this, June used to date Derrick.

ROBBIE - Who the hell is Derrick?

(ROBBIE sits down and turns the tv on.)

LEAH - Remember when Ahpla had the bomb ass basketball team and they used to go back and forth with us?

ROBBIE - Yeah.

LEAH - Well Derrick was the star player for Ahpla. Him and Buck used to play up on each other pretty hard.

ROBBIE - Oh yeah! I was reading about how he got drafted right?
LEAH - Yeah. That burned Buck up.

ROBBIE - So June used to go with him and now she's engaged to Buck?

LEAH - Yeah. That's some bullshit aint it?

ROBBIE - Well what's wrong with it?

LEAH - The only reason Buck and June hooked up was because Buck and Derrick had this immature rivalry going on in basketball.

ROBBIE - Aw come on.

LEAH - Trust me, I know.

ROBBIE - You don't know. What do you know?
LEAH - Buck was screamin' my name way before he was screamin' June's.

(ROBBIE laughs.)

ROBBIE - Yeah, but now you screamin' mine.

(ROBBIE moves closer to LEAH.)

LEAH - Yeah, when you aint screamin' Tammi's!

ROBBIE - What!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

BUCK has just announced to his frat brothers that he and JUNE are engaged.

BUCK - I am happy to announce that I am officially engaged. Me and June are getting married!

(silence)

FRANK - Are you serious?
BUCK - Very.

(silence)

(KENNY storms out of the room.)

BUCK - Oh hell no!

FRANK - Yeah man! It's on!

BUCK - I aint doin' that shit! Kenny is crazy!

(BUCK and FRANK laugh as FRANK hugs BUCK to congratulate him.)

FRANK - Hey man, congratulations! June is a great girl and I know you're gonna make her happy.

BUCK - I'm definitely gonna try!

(KENNY come busting through the door. He is laughing and holding a big paddle.)

KENNY - Excalibur is here! Let's get it on bruh! Roo! Roo! Roo!

BUCK - Hell no!

FRANK - Come on man, it's tradition! A bruh gets engaged, a bruh gets in the cut!

BUCK - Tradition? Who started it?
KENNY - I don't know but you know the deal!
BUCK - Man, if it aint started by Cooper, Coleman, Love or Just, I aint doin' it!

(BUCK remains seated as KENNY tries to convince him to take wood for the occasion.)

KENNY - Buck, how you gonna renig dog? You was always into wood!

BUCK - Yeah, when I was dishin' it out! When you was a Lamp, giving out wood was no problem!

KENNY - Oh so you can give but you can't receive?
BUCK - My wood taking days are over dog!

KENNY - Come on dog! How you gonna bitch up?
BUCK - Whatever! I don't see you taking no wood!
KENNY - Yeah, and you didn't hear me come in announcing no engagement either nigga so what?

BUCK - Well I aint with it so yall might as well put Excalibur away!

(The door opens and CLARENCE walks in with TAMON.)

FRANK - Oh shit! Wassup dog!

TAMON - Roo! Roo! Roo! Roo!

(TAMON and FRANK hug each other.)

KENNY - Yall bruhs just in time!

BUCK thinks - Oh God!

KENNY - Bruhs! Bruhs! Our good brother Buck here has some good news for the brotherhood! Care to share with us Buck/

(BUCK smiles.)

BUCK - Bruhs, I'm engaged. Me and June are getting married.

CLARENCE - Seriously? That's great dog! Congratulations!
TAMON - Yeah, that shit is hot!

KENNY - So with that being said, I quickly retreived Excalibur out of the trunk of my car! So now what?
TAMON - Oh yeah, thats right! Get up nigga!
BUCK - Hell no!

KENNY - Yeah, he don't wanna take his shit!

(Everyone looks at CLARENCE.)

CLARENCE - Buck, it is tradition.

BUCK - Says who?
CLARENCE - Come on man, you swung wood on Malcolm when he got married. You were the first in line!

(Everyone laughs, even BUCK laughs.)

BUCK thinks - Dammit!
BUCK - Man whatever! Let's get this over with!

(BUCK pops out of his chair and bends over.)

BUCK - Come on man! Before I change my mind!

KENNY - Ooooh! Me first bruhs! Me first!

CLARENCE - No dog, I go first. Deference.

KENNY - No doubt oh honored one! Ha ha ha ha, as long as I get mine on that ass!

(CLARENCE takes the paddle.)

CLARENCE - Now Buck, this is gonna hurt you, more than it hurts me bruh! Ha ha ha ha ha!

BUCK - Will you hurry up before I change my mi...

(WHACK!)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

AKAs RENEE, TRACEY and AKINA are in AKINA's room talking.

RENEE - It's just disappointing. Ya know.

TRACEY - Yeah. He is a cutie fo sho.

RENEE - Yeah, he is very handsome. Very.

AKINA - So what exactly happened? He just blew you off?
RENEE - I mean yeah, basically. I'm thinkin' he has a girl or something.

TRACEY - Yeah, some shit like that.

RENEE - So I mean, that's cool. I aint trippin'.

AKINA - But wait, didn't you say that when yall met it was like all good or something?
RENEE - Well yeah. He seemed like he was real interested and we had a good chemistry. But that was a long time ago.

AKINA - So you think he got with somebody else between then and now?
RENEE - Is that so unbelievable?
AKINA - No, but I think you are giving him an excuse and justifying him playing you in the mall.

RENEE - He didn't play me Akina.

(TRACEY whistles and looks away.)

RENEE - What? You think Marcus played me?
TRACEY - Like a game.

RENEE - Oh that is not true. Come on Tracey.

TRACEY - I'm just sayin'. He acted real disinterested. For real.

RENEE - Okay, did it ever occur to you that Marcus may...not...be interested?

TRACEY - Yeah...uh huh...okay.

RENEE - What?
TRACEY - All I'm sayin' is brothers play games worse than females nowadays. Ya know? It used to be where brothers couldn't figure us out. Now brothers can't even figure themselves out!

AKINA - Aint that the truth!

(They all laugh.)

AKINA - Like Eric. He thinks he is so slick. He told me that he went to Jessica's house right...

(RENEE and TRACEY glance at one another, then back at AKINA.)

AKINA - ...so he tells me that he goes over there to email off his paper to his professor. But I aint stupid. I know Jessica and I remember how much she was into Eric. I see her staring at him all the time. Every time the Kappas step on the yard she's out there with her friends. And let me be with sorors to the side and she'll rush over and break her damn neck to speak to Eric.

TRACEY - Shady, just shady.

AKINA - But he don't see none of that. To him, she's just a friend. Eric is so naive.

TRACEY - But that's how most guys are.

AKINA - Maybe but it's gettin' on my nerves and if Eric don't get his shit together...

(There is a knock on the door.)

AKINA - Hold on yall.

(AKINA gets up and looks through the peep hole of her door.)

AKINA - Oh my God!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LEAH - Buck was screamin' my name way before he was screamin' June's.

ROBBIE - Yeah, but now you screamin' mine.

LEAH - Yeah, when you aint screamin' Tammi's!

ROBBIE - What!

LEAH - What do you think I'm stupid? I know you still hittin' it.

ROBBIE - Good because I don't feel like lying about it.

LEAH - What's up with yall though? I aint nobody's mistress Rob.

ROBBIE - I know. I'm not really feelin' her anymore. Ya know?
LEAH - Yeah yeah tell me anything.

ROBBIE - Naw for real. As a matter of fact, I'm breakin' up with her.

LEAH - You are?
ROBBIE - Yeah.

LEAH - Why?

ROBBIE - She doesn't really stimulate my mind. I like a girl who can make me think.

(silence)

LEAH - Shut the hell up Robbie. You aint thinkin' about nothin'.

ROBBIE - Shut up!

(They both laugh then ROBBIE kisses LEAH.)

ROBBIE - But nevermind Tammi, or anybody else. What's up with me and you?
LEAH - Chill bruh.

(LEAH backs away.)

ROBBIE - What?
LEAH - I'm not in the mood.

(ROBBIE laughs.)

ROBBIE - Quit playin'.

LEAH - I'm serious. I'm not in the mood.

ROBBIE - Huh?

LEAH - I'm not in the mood. Is that so hard to believe?
ROBBIE - Actually yes it is.

LEAH - Negro please.

ROBBIE - What's the deal though? For real?
LEAH - Why do I have to give you an explanation when I'm not in the mood to fool around with you?
ROBBIE - Because I asked for one.

LEAH - I got a headache alright?
ROBBIE - Yeah right. You got a heartache is more like it.

(ROBBIE gets up to leave.)

LEAH - Excuse me?
ROBBIE - Why don't you face it Leah. You still have feelings for Buck and now that he's moved on and getting married, it's fuckin' with you. Isn't it?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AKINA goes to answer the door. She looks through the peep hole and seems surprised.

AKINA - Oh my God!

RENEE - Who is it?

(AKINA quickly opens the door and starts to laugh.)

AKINA - Oh my God!

(ERIC is standing there holding two dozen red roses.)

ERIC - Hey baby.

AKINA - Eric these are so nice!

(ERIC comes in.)

RENEE - Wow, nice.

TRACEY - Yeah. I'm impressed.

(ERIC notices RENEE and TRACEY.)

ERIC thinks - I wonder if they told Akina about seeing me!

ERIC - Hey yall.

RENEE - Wassup Eric. Pretty flowers.

TRACEY - Yeah, what's the occasion?

ERIC - No occasion...

(ERIC glances over and sees AKINA putting the flowers in water.)

ERIC - I just needed to show a special lady how special she is to me.

AKINA - Awwwwwwww.

(She walks over to ERIC and hugs him for a long time.)

RENEE - And on that note...

TRACEY - Yeah, we're out.

(RENEE and TRACEY get up.)

RENEE - Hey Keena, we'll call you later.

TRACEY - Yeah girl.

AKINA - Okay yall. Bye.

RENEE - See ya Eric.

ERIC - See yall later.

(RENEE and TRACEY smile as they leave, and ERIC and AKINA start to kiss each other.)

AKINA - Thank you baby.

ERIC - You're welcome.

AKINA - You got these for me because you think I'm special?

ERIC - Yeah, and I know that when I was here last time, there was a little tenstion about Jessica. I don't want there to be any tension at all. I want you to know that you're the only girl for me.

(AKINA smiles.)

AKINA - Well I'm certainly happy to hear that. Do you at least understand where I was coming from?

(They let go of each other and walk toward the bedroom holding hands.)

ERIC - I mean, I try to understand all points of view. So I thought about a lot of what you said.

AKINA - Eric I appreciate you trying to know how I feel about things. You're very different than most guys when it comes to that. And I do love you for that.

(ERIC smiles.)

AKINA - I just want you to respect the way I feel. And I see that you do.

ERIC - Yeah I do. So I need to stay clear of Jess.

AKINA - Well I'm not saying to avoid her like the plague. I just want you to keep your eyes open. It's clear that she still likes you and would probably be willing to give you guys another try.

ERIC thinks - Yeah right, no she wouldn't. Not after how I played her!

AKINA - That's all I'm saying. Girls can be devious.

ERIC - I understand.

(They sit on the bed.)

ERIC thinks - You got Jess all wrong. That girl aint hardly thinking about me. She got some next nigga and she probably hates me for breaking her heart in the first place. But whatever.

ERIC - I will keep my eyes open. I promise.

AKINA - Thank you sweetie. You are the sweetest man in the world.

ERIC - And the prettiest.

(AKINA laughs.)

AKINA - Well you get no debate from me there. Come here pretty boy!

(She lays back and ERIC slides across to her. They begin to kiss as they pull each other closer.)

JESSICA thinks - Damn, is it starting to rain?

(JESSICA looks up at the sky and hopes it doesn't start raining. She brings her attention back to AKINA's window and crouches down lower in the bushes to get a better view.)

No comments: