Monday, February 11, 2008

Episode 3

TIA and CAMILLE are in their dorm room in Shippen Square. They are spending their time combining talking and studying.

CAMILLE - You going Friday night?
TIA - To Ahpla?
CAMILLE - Yeah.

TIA - Yeah, I'm gonna go. I only got to see the girls once. What are their names again?
CAMILLE - Um...

(CAMILLE thinks to herself.)

TIA - Theresa is number two.

CAMILLE - Oh yeah, that's the one you called Mighty Mouse right?

(TIA laughs.)

TIA - Yeah! I sure did. And the number one is Breanna.

CAMILLE - That's right. Breanna. The both seem cool.

TIA - Yeah.

(The room gets quiet as they both begin to read again.)

TIA - Is Gwen goin'?

CAMILLE - Probably. You know we gotta go see our sands do their thing.

TIA - Yeah. That's nice Nice to support like that. I remember being excited when Willie and Christian were done too. We started to road trip like crazy! Ha ha ha ha!

CAMILLE - Well point my car in the direction and we'll be out!

(They both laugh and then continue to study again. The telephone rings. CAMILLE answers.)

CAMILLE - Hello?
PHIL - Hey Camille it's Phil.

CAMILLE - Oh hi. How are ya Phil?
PHIL - Easy. How you?
CAMILLE - Good. But more importantly, how is that fine ass frat of yours? Jay!

PHIL - God!
CAMILLE - Tell him I said hi.

PHIL - Ha ha ha ha, I will.

CAMILLE - And tell him we got a crimson connection goin' on fo sho!
PHIL - I'll inform him Camille.

CAMILLE - And tell him that if he...

PHIL - Is Tia there?
CAMILLE - Huh? Oh yeah. Hee hee, she's here. Hold on Phil.

(CAMILLE hands the phone to TIA.)

CAMILLE - It's Phil.

TIA - I heard. You're silly!

(CAMILLE smiles as she hands the phone to TIA.)

TIA - Hey.

PHIL - Hey wassup?
TIA - Nothing. Just reading.

PHIL - That's cool. I gotta go to the library and study. Much too loud over here in the dorm.

TIA - Oh okay sweetie.

(TIA looks at the clock.)

TIA - Well you want me to meet you there?
PHIL - Naw, it's kinda chilly out. I'm just gonna go alone. Is that cool?

TIA - You don't want me to go with you?

(TIA whines.)

PHIL - No it isn't that T, it's...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The ladies of Sigma Gamma Rho are together in ANDY's room. They are sitting around talking and watching television.

PAULA - Andy you got some chips or something?
ANDY - Naw. I need another care package from mom.

(Everyone laughs.)

ROSALIND - Yeah, your mother does send the bomb stuff. Damn. It's been a while.

ANDY - Yeay, I'm gonna have to call mom up.

PAULA - Well that don't help me now. Ha ha ha, I'm hungry.

JENNIFER - Yeah me too.

ANDY - Yall want to order something?
PAULA - Heck no. All they got over here at Amgis is pizza.

JENNIFER - I like Big Tony's pizza.

PAULA - Yeah whatever! You ain't trying to watch your figure. Skinny ass!

(Everyone laughs.)

JENNIFER - Whatever!
ANDY - So what yall wanna do about food?
PAULA - I'll go get something since I got the car.

ANDY - Cool. Where you wanna go?
PAULA - I don't care. Just make it something fast.

ROSALIND - Well if you call the diner, you can place the order over the phone and they can have it ready for you by the time you get there.

PAULA - That works. What does everyone want?
ANDY - Hold up, let me get you a pen and paper.

(ANDY runs to get a pen.)

ANDY - Okay soror, here ya go.

PAULA - Thanks. Now what does everyone want?

(Everyone tells PAULA what they want and they give her money.)

ROSALIND - I'll ride with you Paula. There's no way you're gonna be able to carry all that.

PAULA - Thanks girl. We'll be back.

ANDY - Okay cool.

(PAULA and ROSALIND get up and grab their jackets. Then they leave together.)

ANGELIQUE - Hey Jenn, how's Mark? Have you spoken to him?
JENNIFER - Not really. He tries to call me when he can. But they have him up so late sometimes that by the time he gets home from the set, it's like really early in the morning. So he doesn't want to call me so late. Or he's too exhausted.

ANGELIQUE - Yeah girl, pledging is definitely no joke.

JENNIFER - Who you tellin'?

ANDY - Speaking of pledging sorors...

(ANDY gets up and opens the door. She looks both ways down the hall and then closes it back.)

ANGELIQUE - You checkin' to see if people are listenin' to us talk about pleding? Ha ha ha ha ha.

ANDY - No, I was checkin' to see if Paula was still here and could possibly hear us talking about pledging.

JENNIFER - Paula?

ANDY - Now that she's gone, let's get down to business.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PHIL - That's cool. I gotta go to the library and study. Much too loud over here in the dorm.

TIA - Oh okay sweetie.

(TIA looks at the clock.)

TIA - Well you want me to meet you there?
PHIL - Naw, it's kinda chilly out. I'm just gonna go alone. Is that cool?

TIA - You don't want me to go with you?

(TIA whines.)

PHIL - No it isn't that T, it's...

TIA - Boy I'm just playing. Go do your thing.

(PHIL laughs.)

PHIL - Okay you really got me. Ha ha ha ha!

TIA - Call me later.

PHIL - Aight.

(They hang up.)

CAMILLE - Soror, you're silly.

TIA - Why you say that?
CAMILLE - Because all you gotta do is start to cry and you got your man wrapped around your finger.

TIA - That's how you gotta do these brothers. Ya know?
CAMILLE - Oh I feel you soror! Ha ha ha, I feel ya.

(CAMILLE gets up and opens her closet door.)

CAMILLE - Hey T, should I wear the red suit or the black dress on Friday?
TIA thinks - Oh God!

TIA - They both look nice Camille.

(CAMILLE holds them both up against herself.)

CAMILLE - This one is businessy and this one is more casual. But I don't want to look too professional, and then I don't want to look like I'm going to a party or anything.

(silence)

CAMILLE - So which one?
TIA - Girl I don't know. You know I gotta read.

CAMILLE - Oh I'm sorry soror.

TIA - It's okay girl. Just let me get through this chapter.

CAMILLE - Okay.

(CAMILLE puts her clothes back in the closet and closes the door. She sits down and starts to read.)

(silence)

CAMILLE - So what you studyin' soror?
TIA thinks - Jesus help me!

(The phone rings.)

CAMILLE - I'll get it!

TIA - Please do.

CAMILLE - Hello?

BREANNA - Hello this is Breanna. Is Tia there?
CAMILLE - Breanna! Hey Soror this is Camille!
BREANNA - Oh hi Camille!
CAMILLE - Ooo-ooop!
BREANNA - Ooo-ooop!


(BREANNA laughs.)

CAMILLE - Hold on soror, Tia is right here.

BREANNA - Okay.

CAMILLE - Hey T, Soror Breanna is on the phone.

TIA - Okay thanks.

(TIA takes the phone.)

TIA - Hey Bree. What's the deal soror?
BREANNA - Hey Tia. Can we talk? Remember the problem that I have that I was telling you about?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CANDACE is in her room about to jump into the shower. Her telephone rings.

CANDACE thinks - Dag! As soon as I get ready to to tie my hair up, the darn phone rings!

(CANDACE rushes out of the bathroom to grab the phone.)

CANDACE - Hello?
KEN - Hey.

CANDACE - Hey Ken.

KEN - What you up to?
CANDACE - About to get in the shower. Let me call you back.

KEN - You getting in the shower at this time of day?
CANDACE - Yeah because I'm about to go out. I got a date.

KEN - You got a what!

(KEN screams into the phone.)

CANDACE - Shut up stupid! Ha ha ha ha!
KEN - Yo, call me right back! As soon as you get out!
CANDACE - Ha ha ha ha, okay.

KEN - Don't even dry off! Just call me!
CANDACE - Boy shut up! I'll call you back!

(KEN hangs up as he is laughing.)

CANDACE thinks - Stupid ass!

(She hangs the phone up and goes back into the bathroom. She finishes putting her hair up and steps into the shower.)

CANDACE thinks - Wow, I can't remember the last time I was excited about a date. What is really goin' on?

(CANDACE remembers her conversation with DERRICK.)

CANDACE thinks - I can't believe we stay on the phone for so long when we talk. That's just like how it was when I first met...

(She pauses.)

CANDACE thinks - ...well, anyway. I still can't believe I got goose bumps!

(CANDACE finishes in the shower and turns the water off. She grabs a towel and hears the phone ring.)

CANDACE thinks - Dammit!

(She steps out dripping wet and goes into the bedroom to answer her phone.)

CANDACE - Hello?
KEN - What's taking so long!

CANDACE - Boy! I said I'd call you back!

KEN - Well hurry up!

(They laugh as they hang up with each other.)

CANDACE - That boy is stupid!

(She dries herself off and starts to get dressed. As she is putting on her sweater on she picks up her phone.)

KEN - Candace!

CANDACE - Wassup boy!

KEN - How did you get a date?
CANDACE - What you tryin' to say Ken!

KEN - Oh not like that girl! I didn't mean that you can't get one!
CANDACE - Uh huh! Watch it!

(KEN laughs.)

KEN - You know what I mean! Who you going out with?
CANDACE - Derrick.

(CANDACE takes her hair down and starts to mess with it.)

KEN - Derrick? Derrick who?
CANDACE - Basketball player Derrick.

KEN - From Ahpla? That guy that plays ball for your school?

CANDACE - He used to. He plays in the NBA now.

(silence)

CANDACE - What? You know him?
KEN - Can, you can't go out with Derrick!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The ladies of Sigma Gamma Rho are together in ANDY's room talking. PAULA and ROSALIND have just left to get some food.

ANDY - Now that Paula is gone, let's get down to business.

JENNIFER - Why did you have to wait until Paula left? What's up with that?
ANDY - Because what I want to talk about I don't want to talk about in front of Paula.

JENNIFER - What? Why not? She's a soror.

ANDY - So what?

(silence)

ANDY thinks - Neos.

ANDY - Anyway, sorors check this out. I know you guys have been participating with Alexis' membership intake. And I know you guys grew attached to her and all. But I think that should stop.

ANGELIQUE - Stop? Why?
JENNIFER - Yeah why?
ANDY - Because there's too much going on and I don't want to get us into any trouble.

ANGELIQUE - Oh don't worry about that Andy. Everything is going fine. Real smooth.

ANDY - How do you know?
ANGELIQUE - I know because I've been around since Alexis started.

ANDY - You haven't been truly behind the scenes and if something should go down, we would be in trouble and lose everything. Not just them.

JENNIFER - See, that's where I don't understand you Andy. You say us and them like they're Deltas or AKAs or something. I mean, we're all Sigmas. So what's the problem.

ANDY - The problem Jenn is that you are young and don't understand how a lot of this stuff works.

JENNIFER - Young?
ANDY - Yes young. You guys aren't even complete yet. You haven't crossed a line. To me, greeks aren't even complete until they cross a line.

ANGELIQUE - So if a person pledges, crosses, and then doesn't cross another line for five years, then they aren't complete?

ANDY - Nope.

ANGELIQUE - Andy that's crazy.

ANDY - No it isn't. If you have never crossed a line before, then there is a whole lot about sorority and chapter life that you just don't know. A lot. Pledging someone is a huge responsibility. And there are a lot of minor details that go along with it. Until you have done it to completion, there are just some things that you ahve not experienced, seen, done, heard, whatever. So you aren't complete. Not at all.

JENNIFER - So what are you saying then?
ANDY - I'm saying that there is a reason I haven't seen the Aurora yet. The reason is that I will see her as a woman of Sigma Gamma Rho. And not before.

JENNIFER - Well Andy that is your choice and I respect that but...

(ANDY cuts JENNIFER off.)

ANDY - And that is the choice of this chapter as well.

ANGELIQUE - What are you saying?

(They hear a key in the door and the knob turn.)

ANDY - What I am saying is this...

(They all look as the door opens and ROSALIND walks in first holding a bag of food.)

ROSALIND - Okay starvin' sorors, food is here!

(ANDY looks back at JENNIFER and ANGELIQUE and reduces her tone to a whisper as PAULA enters as well.)

ANDY whispers - What I am saying is this...there will be no more participation from any sorors of this chapter with Alexis' pledge process at Ahpla. Am I understood?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

KEN - Are you crazy? You can't go out with Derrick!
CANDACE - Why not?

KEN - Do you know anything about him?

CANDACE - That is what dating is for Ken.

(CANDACE laughs.)

KEN - Candace I'm serious! This dude Derrick aint all that legit Candace. Don't let his big bucks fool you.

CANDACE - You should know me better than that Ken. I don't care about his money.

(CANDACE is fixing her hair in the mirror.)

KEN - Well maybe not. But did you know he has a kid?

(CANDACE sighs.)

CANDACE - Yes Ken, he told me all about Little Derrick.

KEN - Well did you know that that isn't his kid?

(CANDACE stops.)

CANDACE - What do you mean it isn't his kid?
KEN - Candace, Derrick is the freakin' laughing stock on campus. He's taking care of someone else's kid.

CANDACE - What are you talking about Ken?
KEN - That's Bobby's son.

CANDACE - Bobby? Nino's line brother?

KEN - Yes.

CANDACE - Wait a minute. I know Bobby has a kid but...

KEN - That's his kid. Bobby and Caryn have a son together.

CANDACE - But why does Derrick say that it's his son? Ken are you sure?
KEN - I am one thousand percent sure! I know what I'm talking about.

(silence)

CANDACE - This doesn't make any sense.

KEN - Sure it does.

CANDACE - No it doesn't. Why would he tell me that the little boy is his and looks just like him?
KEN - Because Derrick has issues. He takes care of Bobby's child like it's his and then acts like Caryn is his wife or some shit and everybody knows that Caryn is a ho.

CANDACE - So let me get this straight.

KEN - Uh huh.

(CANDACE pauses.)

CANDACE - Bobby's son is...Derrick's son?
KEN - No. Bobby's son is Bobby's son. Derrick is playing daddy because he's stupid. He's got money so he takes care of the kid. And he lets ho ass Caryn drive around in his phat ass jeep!

CANDACE - So is Derrick in a relationship with Caryn? He told me he didn't have a girlfriend.

KEN - Caryn isn't his girl. Caryn is everybody's girl.

(silence)

CANDACE - So she is using him for his money?
KEN - Not exactly. He is dumb enough to let himself be used. So I aint even mad at her. If you got a brother that dumb, then get what you can. Ya heard?

(CANDACE doesn't answer.)

CANDACE - Well look Ken, I gotta go.

KEN - Just be careful Can.

CANDACE - I will. I promise. It's just that..

(She pauses.)

KEN - What?
CANDACE - ...well, it's just been so long since...

(silence)

CANDACE - ...nevermind.

KEN - Candace I understand what you've been through and I am here for you as always. All I'm saying is be careful.

CANDACE - Thanks.

KEN - Let me know how it goes.

CANDACE - Okay. Later.

(They hang up.)

CANDACE thinks - I'll be more than careful.

(CANDACE grabs her bag and heads out the door.)

CANDACE thinks - I'll find out what's up with Mr. Smooth Talker and get to the bottom of this mess myself!

No comments: