Monday, February 11, 2008

Episode 45

JENNIFER is falling asleep in her room. She is trying to stay awake so she can study.

JENNIFER reads - Before the turn of the...

(She nods her heard.)

JENNIFER thinks - Dag, I gotta lay...

(Her head drops again.)

(silence)

(silence)

DWAYNE - Hey.

(JENNIFER jumps up as she is startled by DWAYNE.)

DWAYNE - Sleepy?

JENNIFER - Uh... yeah... my door was open?

DWAYNE - No, you gave me a key remember?

JENNIFER - I did?

(JENNIFER runs her fingers through her braids and pulls her hair back into a ponytail.)

DWAYNE - When I was on line. You said I could come through and rest if I needed to.

JENNIFER - Oh yeah.

DWAYNE - You okay?

JENNIFER - Yeah, yeah. Just sleepy. I got your message though. The question is, are you okay?

(DWAYNE sits on the bed.)

DWAYNE - I just don't know what to do. I mean, I've tried to talk to every single brother. All I get is slammed doors in my face. What should I do?

JENNIFER - Keep trying.

DWAYNE - Yeah but I'm starting to think that they really voted me out or something and don't want me. I mean, can they really do that? I mean they threaten it all the time. When we and Mark was together on line, Sean and Sam threatened kicking us off line every week.

JENNIFER - Honey, organizations can do whatever they want. If they don't want you, they don't want you.

DWAYNE thinks - Damn.

JENNIFER - But I don't think that is the case here.

DWAYNE - Really?

JENNIFER - You were so close. So close. I think what you did was stupid. Stupid stupid stupid. It was idiotic and...

DWAYNE - Okay I get the point Jenn!

JENNIFER - Well anyway... I just don't think they are letting you go. I don't think they are in a position to let you go.

DWAYNE - What do you mean?

JENNIFER - Nothing nothing.

(She takes a deep breath and rubs her eyes.)

DWAYNE - Well what am I supposed to do? I can't talk to Malcolm, Sam or none of them.

JENNIFER - You've tried to reach out to all of them? All Iotas?

DWAYNE - Yes. All of them.

JENNIFER - Every one of them?

DWAYNE - Well yes! Well actually...

(silence)

JENNIFER - What?

DWAYNE - Thanks! I just remembered! There is one!

(DWAYNE pops up and starts to run out.)

JENNIFER - Hey! Hey! Hey!

(He stops and looks back.)

JENNIFER - Aren't you forgetting something?

(DWAYNE smiles but hurries back to kiss JENNIFER.)

JENNIFER - Remember, never give up on your dreams. If you want Iota, get it Tiger!

DWAYNE - Thanks! I will!

(He turns to run out.)

DWAYNE - Hey... I love you.

JENNIFER - No you don't. Good bye!

(He laughs as he runs out the front door and lets it close by itself.)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JAY is sitting on the yard talking with KEISHA, a girl he is dating.

KEISHA - You so stupid!

(JAY laughs.)

JAY - Just stupid for you babe.

KEISHA - Shut up you cornball.

JAY - Whatever. I may be sutpid but I aint corny.

KEISHA - Yes you are! You're a cornhusker. But you're a cute cornhusker.

(She leans toward JAY to kiss him. He turns his head so she kisses him on the cheek.)

KEISHA - See, how you gonna play me?

JAY - Play you? Girl go head.

KEISHA - What? You aint gonna give me a real kiss?

JAY - A real what? Why you trippin'?

KEISHA - I'm just sayin'. Like what is this Jay? What are we?

JAY thinks - Got damn! Why me?

JAY - What you mean?

KEISHA - I'm sayin, we've been talking for like three weeks now. You say you don't want to be in a relaionship...

JAY - Because I don't.

KEISHA - Yeah but don't you think its unfair to me to just keep me in limbo? I mean we do everything that people in relationships do.

JAY - No we don't.

KEISHA - Name one thing that a person in a relationship does that we don't already do.

JAY - People in relationships say that they in relationships. We don't.

KEISHA - Oh man, come on. Come better than that.

JAY - I aint gotta come better than that. That's real, all day every day. I said I didn't want a girlfriend. I just wanna chill. I told you that from early on. So why is you trippin'?

KEISHA - Yeah but...

ERIC - Yeah but you said you wanted to be with me!

(JAY and KEISHA turn around and see ERIC walk up.)

JAY - What's up Nupie!

(JAY slaps ERIC's hand and pulls him in for a hug. He whispers in ERIC's ear.)

JAY whispers - Save me from this bitch.

ERIC whispers - Save yourself!

JAY - What's up man, where you coming from?

ERIC - Library.

JAY - No seriously, where you coming from?

(They both laugh.)

ERIC - Anyway... hi I'm Eric.

(ERIC extends his hand toward KEISHA. She looks at his hand, then looks back at him.)

KEISHA - Oh, I know exactly who you are.

(ERIC looks confused as he slowly takes his hand back. KEISHA never shook his hand, instead she folds her arms in front of her.)

ERIC - You do? Have we met before?

KEISHA - Nope!

ERIC - Well how do we...

KEISHA - I know you because you're the one who everybody says raped that girl.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR. Mwatsumi is on the phone with his frat brother SAIFA.

SAIFA - Are you sure Colin?

DR. MWATSUMI - Yep. She's the only one. The deadline was Friday and I got my paperwork in and so did she.

SAIFA - But I thought it was a secret thing until later. How did you find out about her wanting to be president?

DR. MWATSUMI - I got my sources my young brother.

(They both laugh.)

SAIFA - Well its official huh?

DR. MWATSUMI - Indeed. Your brother has a very good chance at being the next president of Ahpla U.

SAIFA - Well congratulations!

DR. MWATSUMI - Thank you Saifa.

SAIFA - Wow, I can't believe it. Me mentor, a university president.

DR. MWATSUMI - And believe me when I tell you that you will be well taking care of once that happens. You will have a place on my cabinet.

SAIFA - Cabinet? How you gonna put me on the cabinet?

DR. MWATSUMI - Graduate trustee. Easy enough.

(SAIFA laughs.)

SAIFA - Yeah right.

DR. MWATSUMI - I'm serious my brother. All of my Iota brothers will be well taken care of. Iota Phi Theta will soon be the largest organization and entity on Ahpla University's campus! We'll run everything and do everything. We're gonna change the...

(There is a knock on his door.)

DR. MWATSUMI - Hold on my brother, someone is at my office.

SAIFA - Well look, take care of that. I need to go and I need a few minutes to finish laughing at you.

(They both laugh.)

DR. MWATSUMI - Laugh now, but Mrs. Ferguson will cry later when they crown me king!

SAIFA - King? Good Lord! Good bye Colin.

DR. MWATSUMI - So long Saifa.

(They hang up.)

DR. MWATSUMI - Please enter.

(The door opens and DWAYNE slowly walks in.)

DWAYNE - Dr?

DR. MWATSUMI thinks - Oh Lord.

DR. MWATSUMI - Come in my boy, come in.

DWAYNE - Do you have a minute doctor?

DR. MWATSUMI - Sure, sure. Please, have a seat.

DWAYNE - Thank you.

DR. MWATSUMI - How have you been?

DWAYNE - Not good sir. I haven't been able to speak to any of the Iota brothers and its like I'm in limbo. I don't know what to do and I can't seem to talk to any of the brothers.

DR. MWATSUMI - Is that so?

DWAYNE - But I can't give up. I want to be a member of Iota Phi Theta fraternity incorporated real bad.

DR. MWATSUMI - I understand that you do.

(DR. MWATSUMI gets up and walks around his desk. He takes his fraternity plaque off the wall and carries it in front of DWAYNE.)

DR. MWATSUMI - I understand what you mean.

(He hands DWAYNE the plaque.)

DR. MWATSUMI - I can understand you wanting this. I wanted it badly too. Go ahead, read it.

DWAYNE - Iota Phi Theta Fraternity incorporated. Man of the Year award. Presented to Dr. Colin Mwatsumi.

DR. MWATSUMI - I got that award before I became a brother. So that made me only want it more. You see?

DWAYNE - Wow!

DR. MWATSUMI - And I was willing to do anything to get it! I mean anything.

DWAYNE - So am I.

DR. MWATSUMI - I don't know Dwayne.

(The doctor takes the plaque back and starts to walk back to the wall.)

DR. MWATSUMI - I mean, that stunt you pulled son, that really changed a lot of the brother's opinions of you.

DWAYNE - But like I said, I was scared. I want it so bad, I didn't think. I really didn't. I know it was stupid, but I can make up for it.

DR. MWATSUMI - You can make up for it huh?

(DR. MWATSUMI walks back to his chair.)

DR. MWATSUMI - Indeed.

DWAYNE - What should I do? I'll do anything!

(DR. MWATSUMI folds his hands across his desk and looks DWAYNE directly in the eye.)

DR. MWATSUMI - Dwayne, I need to be certain that you really want this. I mean, the brothers... well they will be the brothers. I do have a lot of influence with them though, I do.

DWAYNE - You could get them to reconsider!

(DWAYNE is on the edge of his chair.)

DWAYNE - You can get them to take me back!

DR. MWATSUMI - Mmmm, perhaps. I can't make promises. Can't do that at all.

(He sits back.)

DR. MWATSUMI - But there is something you can do for me. Something important... that would prove your loyalty, committment and dedication.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CLARENCE is talking to a girl in the club.

CLARENCE - Yeah, frat just wanted to get out so I was like cool dog. Whatever.

HOLLY - I'm sayin', cuz I never see you in here. You don't be out.

CLARENCE - Oh I be out!

(He starts to bark.)

HOLLY - Ha ha ha, stop all that noise! Gosh!

CLARENCE - Naw, but I handle business so I just don't get out like I used to. Brother tryin' to graduate. Ya know.

HOLLY - Good for you. What are you gonna do next?

CLARENCE - Med school. After I take a nap.

(HOLLY laughs.)

HOLLY - Silly. So which Que dog you with?

CLARENCE - Buck. Who you hear with?

HOLLY - Renee. But she all up under Marcus.

CLARENCE - Marcus? He's here?

HOLLY thinks - Ooops!

HOLLY - Uh... no. He's not here. I meant um...

CLARENCE - He's in a party when he's trying to be down with the bruhs? He just thinks he can party his way up into Omega huh?

(CLARENCE smiles at HOLLY.)

HOLLY - Okay look, you didn't hear it from me okay? I hate to get him into trouble or anything.

CLARENCE - Naw, its all good. I was just playing.

(CLARENCE is looking around the club.)

HOLLY - I'm serious! People already on my case because they say I talk too much. I'm gonna get my butt kicked!

CLARENCE - Don't worry girl, I aint trippin'. You know I'm too old to be runnin' behind these cat dudes, tryin' to haze and shit.

HOLLY - Yeah, mmm hmmmm. Then why you still looking around for him?

(silence)

HOLLY - Clarence!

(She slaps his arm and he is still looking across the dance floor.)

CLARENCE - Uh... Holly... I'll be right back!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

KEISHA - I know exactly who you are because you're the one who everybody says raped that girl.

ERIC - What!

KEISHA - Talk is all over the yard about you.

ERIC - I didn't rape no fuckin' body!

KEISHA - Hey, calm down, you aint gotta convince me.

(KEISHA is speaking very sarcastic.)

JAY - Hey wait a minute okay... you need to lose the attitude with my boy. What the fuck?

KEISHA - I just don't like when men force their way on women. That's all.

ERIC - I didn't force my way on anybody!

JAY - Naw hold up E.

(JAY holds his hand up to ERIC to quiet him. He then turns to address KEISHA.)

JAY - Let me tell you something. I don't care if the whole world is talking about it. That bitch is a liar and she knows it. And E didn't do shit to her.

KEISHA - Like I said...

(KEISHA throws her bag over her shoulder.)

KEISHA - ...you don't have to convince me. I'll holla at you later Jay.

JAY - No you won't.

(She turns and starts to walk as if she didn't hear his last comment.)

ERIC - What the hell man? Jessica got everybody talking about me?

JAY - Man, don't even worry about it. Once the truth comes out, she's gonna look stupid as hell, get kicked out of school, and probably get arrested and locked up for lying about that shit.

(They start to walk. ERIC has his head down.)

JAY - Fuck her silly ass! You okay man?

ERIC - I can't believe this is happening. Why me? What did I do wrong?

JAY - You must've put it on her in a mean way bruh! Ha ha ha ha ha.

(ERIC doesn't laugh. He notices two girls walking in the opposite direction.)

JAY - Look man, for real, you just need to blah blah blah blah blah...

GIRL whispers - That's that guy that raped Jessica.

GIRL whispers - I know. He's a Kappa aint he?

GIRL whispers - Yeah! Those frat guys be raping girls all the time!

GIRL whispers - Getting em drunk up in the frat house and stuff!

JAY - ...blah blah blah blah blah blah blah...

GIRL whispers - That's fucked up what he did to that girl!

JAY - E!

ERIC - Huh? What?

(JAY looks way across the yard at the two girls.)

JAY - You were just staring at those two girls way over there. Like a zombie or something. You okay?

ERIC - Uh... yeah. I was just... nevemind.

JAY - Man look, blah blah blah blah blah...

GUY whispers - Hey, that's Eric and Jay over there!

GIRL whispers - Where?

GUY whispers - Right there!

(GIRL looks.)

GUY whispers - You know they say he beat some girl and raped her. His ex girlfriend or something.

GIRL whispers - Yeah, I heard! I hate guys like that! That's messed up.

GUY whispers - Yeah.

JAY - You know what I'm sayin'?

ERIC - Yeah. Yeah man.

JAY - So don't look so down. Ya know? This is all gonna work out in the end.

(silence)

ERIC - I just can't believe people know about this. I feel like everybody is staring at me or something.

JAY - Naw, its just your imagination. Your mind is playin' tricks on ya.

ERIC - Think so?

JAY - Oh yeah. I know so. As soon as you admit what you did, we can all get past this and get back to life as normal.

ERIC - What!

JAY - What?

ERIC - Admit what I did?

JAY- What are you talking about?

ERIC - You just said as soon as I admit what I did.

JAY - No I didn't. What are you talking about?

ERIC - You just said that as soon as I admit what I did, we can get back to life as normal.

JAY - E, you're scaring me. I didn't say that. What I said was you raped her, you probably will get away with it, so what are you afraid of?

ERIC - What!

(JAY looks around.)

JAY - Why are you yelling? What's wrong with you?

(ERIC starts backing up.)

JAY - E... hey man, you don't look so good. Let me get you to the crib man.

ERIC - No... no just... I need to be alone... um...

(ERIC turns around and JESSICA is standing there.)

JESSICA - Hey... wassup?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BUCK - Where we goin'?

GINGER - Just cuz you're like a brother to me... you my boy, I got somethin' to show ya.

BUCK - Something to show me?

(GINGER smiles.)

GINGER - Yep. Let's take a quick run to my place. Its only a few minutes away. I got a new thong with studs in it. Looks like diamonds on a string. You're gonna love it! Come on!

BUCK thinks - Hell no! I don't want to go... I don't need to go to your place!

(GINGER grabs his hand.)

BUCK thinks - Damn she'll look sexy in a thong! Ginger got a phat ass!

GINGER - When you see this thing, you're gonna trip! I'm tellin' ya!

BUCK - Word?

GINGER - Oh yeah, get ready to laugh.

BUCK - You just gonna pull it out the drawer and show me this thing?

(She stops and turns back to him smiling.)

GINGER - Well of course not silly. You won't get the full affect if you don't see it on me. Only because we cool though.

(She starts to walk again, leading BUCK by the hand.)

BUCK thinks - I can't go! I cannot do this! I can't do this!

GINGER - I can show ya and then we can come right back here if you want.

(They continue to walk.)

GINGER - Or we can get something to eat if you want. Did you eat already?

BUCK - Naw... I just...

GINGER - Good. I just made spaghetti at my place. You can have some if you want.

BUCK - Naw, that probably aint a good idea.

(She turns around.)

GINGER - What you say? I didn't hear ya.

BUCK - Nothin'.

GINGER - Oh.

(She leads him by the hand. They finally get off the dance floor and are passing past the crowd by the bar.)

CLARENCE - Buck... Buck!

(BUCK stops.)

BUCK - Hey, hold up. Here's my boy.

(BUCK lets go of her hand and turns around. CLARENCE gets to him.)

CLARENCE - Dog, where you goin'?

BUCK - Um... I was just gonna go over to Ginger's place real quick. She stays not too far from here.

(CLARENCE looks past BUCK to see GINGER standing there waiting. He leans in close to BUCK.)

CLARENCE - Dog, that's not a good idea. Are you crazy? I saw you walking across the dance floor holding her hand. What if your girl hears about this?

BUCK - My...

(BUCK pauses.)

BUCK - ...girl... um... you right dog, you right.

(BUCK turns around to tell GINGER that he has changed his mind about going to her house to see her thong.)

KATRICE - I like that thong on you. That's sexy as hell.

CYNTHIA - Thanks! Why don't you come get a closer look.

(KATRICE smiles as her cell phone rings.)

CYNTHIA - Don't answer that.

KATRICE - Got to babe. I get important stuff on my phone. This will only take a second.

(CYNTHIA lays down as KATRICE answers her cell phone.)

KATRICE - Hello?

HOLLY - Trice, this is Holly. You know I aint one to gossip and I hope I aint disturbing you, but I just saw June's boyfriend or fiancee or whatever and he was all up under some chick and holding her hand! And I happen to know that the only reason he's here is because he needed to get out, probably for some space from her!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(BUZZ)

RECEPTIONIST - Mrs. Ferguson, there is a young man, a student here to see you.

MELINDA - A student? Let him in.

(She turns to MONA.)

MELINDA - One of your classmates coming to see me for some reason?

MONA - How should I know?

(MONA gets up and grabs her bag.)

MONA - But I gotta run back to campus anyhow. I'll talk to you later Mommy.

MELINDA - Okay honey.

(MONA kisses her mother as the door opens.)

MONA whispers - Let me know how you squash the Zetas!

(MELINDA smiles, then looks past MONA at the student coming in.)

MELINDA - Hello, how can I help you?

(MELINDA extends her hand as MONA passes him by, looking him up and down. DWAYNE sits down after shaking MELINDA's hand.)

DWAYNE - Hi... I uh, understand that you may be interested in running for Ahpla University's new president position. Well I'm here to assist in any way I can. I want to help you win the election!

No comments: