Monday, February 11, 2008

Episode 15

Alphas KEN and BANE are talking with new Sigma brother CALVIN. BANE has a very blunt question he asks CALVIN.

CALVIN - So what's goin' on guys?

(silence)

(BANE turns back from looking away to face CALVIN.)

BANE - I'll let you know what's goin' on...dude...

(BANE emphasizes the word dude.)

BANE - ...what's up with you tryin' to be out on a date with one of the...sisters...from campus?

CALVIN - Excuse me?

BANE - Dude, you heard exactly what I said. You need me to repeat it?

(CALVIN is looking confused so he doesn't say anything.)

BANE - What? There wasn't enough white girls on campus for you to mess with?

CALVIN - White girls? At Amgis?

BANE - Yeah man. Why you gotta go for a sister?

CALVIN - First of all, no there aren't any white girls on campus. Second of all, what the hell difference does it make to you?

BANE - It makes plenty of difference.

CALVIN - How so?

BANE - Because yall come through and come to our school, complain about damn affirmative action, join our frats and now wanna date our women! What the hell is up with that?

(BANE raises his voice and CALVIN raises his as well.)

CALVIN - Your school?

BANE - Yeah, my school!

CALVIN - What makes Amgis your school! If I came up in here talkin' shit about your frats, and you people, and your women, African Americans would be ready to kick my ass! But you say it and insult me by turnin' that shit around and its okay?

BANE - That's right! We been gettin' dissed for over four hundred years!

CALVIN - Man, I aint got nothing to do with that! Stop blaming me! That aint got nothing to do with shit!

BANE - That has everything to do with this! That's what I'm talkin' about! White folk never wanna claim responsibility for their shit!

CALVIN - What!

KEN - Yo B, chill out man. Leave him alone.

BANE - Naw man, I wanna get this shit off my chest!

CALVIN - You sound ignorant playa! For real!

BANE - And you look ignorant up in a Black frat perpin' like you Black! You can't be Black man! Give it up!

(CALVIN stands up.)

CALVIN - I aint tryin' to be Black!

(BANE stands up.)

KEN - Bane! Chill!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RASHIM is walking onto campus from his dorm.

RASHIM thinks - Man, it's nice out here! The yard is gonna be packed by the time I get there! Yes!

(He puts his sun glasses on.)

RASHIM thinks - How will the ladies resist me! Ha ha ha ha!

(As he turns the corner, he sees that the yard is crowded. People are standing around talking to one another or walking to class.)

RASHIM thinks - Aw yes! I love this damn school!

(He starts to walk across the yard and sees a familiar face.)

RASHIM - Hey!

(He changes direction and approaches TRACEY.)

RASHIM - Hey Tracey!

(TRACEY and AISHA turn around and see RASHIM jogging to catch up.)

TRACEY - Oh God!

AISHA - Who is that?

TRACEY - This boy named Rashim. He can be pesty.

(AISHA laughs. RASHIM catches up.)

RASHIM - Hey Tracey, what's up?

TRACEY - Hi, how you doin'?

RASHIM - Cool.

TRACEY - Rashim, this is my little sister Aisha. Ish, this is Rashim.

AISHA - Why I gotta be your little sister? Why can't I just be your sister? Sheesh! Nice to meet you Rashim.

RASHIM - Don't worry, my older brother is the same way girl. Ha ha ha ha

TRACEY - Oh whatever.

RASHIM - But Tracey, I'm glad I ran into you. I've been lookin' for you.

TRACEY - Whats up?

RASHIM - Remember when I was telling you about Marcus hearing that your girl Renee is shady? And I was gonna try and find out how that rumor got started?

TRACEY - Oh yeah!

RASHIM - Well Detective Rashim at your service! I run a tight operation but I will always get the bad guys.

TRACEY thinks - Lord!

TRACEY - So what did you dig up Scoop?

RASHIM - Well it seems Lieutenant that I've uncovered a mole.

TRACEY - A mole?

RASHIM - Yeah, somebody on the inside.

TRACEY - What are you talking about Rashim?

RASHIM - Do you know an AKA from Ahpla named Ramona?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BANE - You can't be Black man! Give it up!

(CALVIN stands up.)

CALVIN - I aint tryin' to be Black!

(BANE stands up.)

KEN - Bane! Chill!

CALVIN - I aint gotta be nothin' more than me! And I aint got shit to prove to you or anybody else! If you can't get a woman, don't blame me for that...

(CALVIN starts to step away.)

CALVIN - ...my brother!

BANE - Whatever man! You better walk away!

(CALVIN ignores BANE and returns to GWEN on the other side of the room.)

KEN - What the hell you do that for?

BANE - Because man, somebody had to put that dude in his place!

KEN - In his place? Bane you stupid.

BANE - No I aint. I just say the shit that other motherfuckers are scared to say! That's all! Everybody on campus wants to ask him why he pledged Sigma! What's a white boy doing up in a Black frat! But everybody is afraid to ask! Not me man, I aint scurred.

(KEN laughs.)

KEN - Naw, you aint scurred...just stupid. Hey, there's Quinton.

(BANE turns around in his chair.)

KEN - Q!

(QUINTON looks and walks toward them.)

KEN - What's up frat!

QUINTON - What's up Ken!

(KEN stands up and greets QUINTON. So does BANE.)

KEN - What you doin' way out here by us?

(QUINTON sits down.)

QUINTON - My girl is crossing tonight. Or tomorrow or something. One of the SGRhos called me to let me know.

BANE - Oh that's cool.

QUINTON - Yeah, I can't wait to see her. I got her all kinds of gifts.

KEN - Good shit.

QUINTON - What's up with yall?

KEN - Chillin man. Just hangin' out.

BANE - Yeah. It aint too lively up in here tonight.

QUINTON - I see. No action huh?

BANE - Not at all. Ha ha ha ha.

KEN - Yeah, we need some new women on this yard or somethin'. Why didn't you bring some of them Ahpla honies with you Q?

(They all laugh.)

QUINTON - Man I aint thinking about no chicks at Ahpla. Except Alexis of course.

BANE - Oh brother! Another mushy bro that done got whipped over his girl!

QUINTON - Naw, I aint that bad!

KEN - Yeah right! What about some of the brothers that aint got no girl like us. This place is boring for us and we need something to kick off!

QUINTON - You never know, something may jump off up in here in any minute.

KEN - Yeah...okay.

(They laugh at KEN's sarcasm as JAY approaches the table.)

JAY - Fellas! Fellas! What's so funny? I wanna hear the joke, tell me too!

(The Alphas stop laughing as they turn toward JAY.)

JAY - Good! Jokes are over, because we got some serious shit to talk to yall about!

(ERIC and BEN walk up and stand behind JAY.)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LEAH is in the bookstore. She is searching for a textbook that she has to purchase.

LEAH thinks - This shit don't make no sense!

(She checks the syllabus sheet again to make sure she is looking for the right textbook.)

LEAH - Leave it to my ass to choose a class that the professor assigns a brand new textbook that nobody on campus has already! Damn!

(She follows the numbers to the shelf where the book is supposed to be.)

LEAH - Where is it?

(She looks around and doesn't see the book.)

LEAH - What the hell?

(LEAH looks around and sees a girl that works in the bookstore.)

LEAH - Excuse me, do yall have this book in stock?

(She shows her syllabus to the worker.)

WORKER - Oh yeah, its on top of the top shelf. They filed it incorrectly. Somebody else asked me about that.

LEAH - Oh, okay.

(She walks back to the shelf and the top shelf is too high for her to reach.)

LEAH thinks - Why the hell didn't the girl tell me the book was up near the ceiling!

(She just stares up at the book on the top shelf.)

LEAH thinks - Damn!

BUCK - Let me grab that for ya.

(LEAH turns around as BUCK walks up and easily grabs the book. He hands it to LEAH.)

BUCK - Here ya go.

LEAH - Thanks.

BUCK - What's goin' on?

LEAH - I'm good Buck, how are you?

BUCK - Chillin. What brings you in here?

LEAH - I got this stupid class and had to get a brand new textbook. Like I got money for books!

(BUCK laughs.)

BUCK - Girl, what you talkin' about. You paid.

LEAH - Whatever!

(LEAH notices BUCK wearing a ring on like a wedding band.)

LEAH thinks - Oh shit!

LEAH - I thought you were just engaged. Are you married already?

(She grabs his hand and looks at the ring.)

BUCK - Oh naw, not yet. We just in the stages of setting a date now. This isn't a wedding ring, its a promise ring.

LEAH - A promise ring? She gave you a promise ring?

BUCK - No, it was an idea we both had. Long story but we just needed to make some promises to each other to improve our relationship.

LEAH - Oh, uh huh.

(silence)

LEAH - Well aight Buck, gotta go.

(LEAH quickly turns away.)

BUCK - You got more books to buy? I thought you only had to get that one book and you were about to leave. I can walk you out.

(LEAH responds as she is walking away.)

LEAH - Naw, I got more shopping to do. Later!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RASHIM has caught up with TRACEY on the yard. He's trying to get to the bottom of who told MARCUS lies about RENEE.

RASHIM - Do you know an AKA from Ahpla named Ramona?

TRACEY - You mean Mona? Mona Ferguson?

RASHIM - I don't know. Marcus said Ramona.

TRACEY - Oh shit! Are you serious!

RASHIM - You know her?

TRACEY - Yeah I know her! It all makes sense now!

RASHIM - What! What makes sense!

TRACEY - Hey Rashim, thanks man! Thanks a lot! Come on Ish!

RASHIM - Hey wait! What makes sense! I wanna know!

(TRACEY is pulling out her cell phone as she walks away.)

RASHIM - Can we go out sometime?

TRACEY - Nay!

RENEE - Hey, let me hit you right back, I'm on the other line.

TRACEY - No! Hang that line up! This is important!

RENEE - Important?

TRACEY - Yeah, no joke.

RENEE - Okay hold on.

(RENEE clicks over.)

AISHA - And you can't figure out why I don't wanna be an AKA? All this damn drama yall goin' through? Bump that!

TRACEY - Shut up!

(RENEE comes back.)

RENEE - Now what's so important?

TRACEY - Renee, I just found out who told Marcus all those lies about you!

RENEE - You did! Who?

TRACEY - Are you sitting down?

RENEE - Stop playin' and tell me! Who said it?

TRACEY - Mona Ferguson!

(silence)

TRACEY - So, you think she's still a cool soror and worth the benefit of the doubt?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LEAH walks into a different aisle in the bookstore and waits until she thinks BUCK is gone.

LEAH thinks - A promise ring?

(LEAH comes back out to the cash register and pays for her textbook.)

LEAH thinks - Breaking up with Buck is one of the best thing I could've ever done. I would've been miserable with him. A promise ring. That is so corny!

(LEAH walks outside and starts to walk toward her dorm. She passes by two girls who are walking together.)

LEAH thinks - Dag, that girl looks just like a girl that Buck would go for. She's got June's look and everything.

(LEAH turns around and looks back at the girl.)

LEAH thinks - Yeah, Buck would fall all over a girl like that. I know his ass so well.

(She continues walking.)

LEAH thinks - Certain people just aren't meant to be together. That's all. It just wasn't meant to be for me and Buck. And that's cool. We could never get along like that, to make up some promise ring type stuff. That would've never worked.

(LEAH gets to her dorm and passes by a few students who are sitting on the front steps talking.)

LEAH thinks - Damn, this is where me and Buck first met. It was so long ago but I remember it like it was yesterday.

(She goes inside the dorm and checks her mail.)

LEAH thinks - Oh well, I wish him well in his marriage. Or better yet, I wish June well with him! Ha ha ha ha!

(LEAH walks up the steps to her room and goes in. She takes her new book out and sits down at her desk.)

LEAH thinks - Now what in the world is so important about this book?

(She pulls out her syllabus and starts to read what is required for her to read in the book. She flips through the various chapters of the book to get an idea of what she will be studying.)

LEAH thinks - This seems easy enough. A lot of reading, but that's what I do. No sweat.

(She closes the book and turns the tv on. Dr. Phil is on and he is speaking to couples about failed relationships.)

LEAH thinks - Oh brother! Let's see if the good doc has any good advice for a sister! Ha ha ha.

DR. PHIL - The key to make any relationship work is communication.

LEAH - I know that's right!

DR. PHIL - Open lines of communication foster better relations. You get to find out what's on your mates mind, and they on yours. To many couples end up going separate ways when they could've easily traveled the same way had they just told one another what they were thinki...

(LEAH changes the channel.)

LEAH thinks - Okay that is so true. And that's what's wrong with Buck. He doesn't communicate. Well no, he doesn't listen.

(LEAH is changing channels.)

LEAH thinks - Buck and I communicated. And that was the biggest problem. We argued and he never ever listened. I told him that girl from the girls basketball team wanted to get with him. He argued that point and I was right. He didn't listen.

(She is changing channels even faster now.)

LEAH thinks - Men are so naive. They need for a girl to walk up on em and basically stick their tongue down their throat for them to wise up and realize she liked him. What kind of crazinesss is that?

(LEAH is pressing the channel button on the remote so fast she drops the remote.)

LEAH thinks - Oh damn.

(silence)

(LEAH gets up and grabs her phone. She dials.)

ASHLEY - Hello?

LEAH - Hey.

ASHLEY - Hey Leah, I got my mom on the other line. Let me call you right back.

LEAH - Okay cool.

ASHLEY - Thanks.

(They hang up.)

(silence)

(LEAH dials again.)

BUCK - Hello.

LEAH - I just want to ask you, why are you so willing to figure out ways to make relationships work now when you were so unwilling before?

No comments: