Monday, February 11, 2008

Episode 25

Dr. MWATSUMI is with his frat brothers and has placed an ultimatum on MARK to try and convince him to rejoin the Iota pledge line.

(DR. MWATSUMI takes the paddle and walks toward CENTAUR DWAYNE.)

DR. MWATSUMI - ... let's see if I can evoke you to make a decision to come back Mark.

(MARK looks confused, as do some of the Iota brothers.)

DR. MWATSUMI - Mark, I'm gonna use this paddle on Dwayne here and let you watch. And I won't stop until you decide to come back and become a member of this fraternity. Now let's see who breaks down first. You...

(DR. MWATSUMI smiles.)

DR. MWATSUMI - ... or Dwayne.

(CENTAUR DWAYNE looks around very nervously. DR. MWATUSMI smiles bigger.)

DR. MWATSUMI - Centaur, would you like to assume the position?

CENTAUR DWAYNE thinks - What position?

SAIFA - Uh... Doc...

SAM - Yeah baby! Now we're gettin' somewhere! That's what I'm talkin' bout!

SAIFA - Dr. M, I don't think this is a good...

(CENTAUR DWAYNE bends over and stares at MARK with a very sad look.)

SAIFA - ...idea. This isn't how we go about business.

SEAN - Colin... please.

(DR. MWATSUMI seems to ignore SAIFA and SEAN as he reaches back with the paddle, prepared to swing.)

MARK - Wait... wait! Hold up!

(The doctor stops his swing and looks up.)

DR. MWATSUMI - I thought you'd be stopping me. You have a change of heart?

MARK - I'm stopping you but not for the reasons you want. This is ridiculous and even more ridiculous that I thought. I most definitely don't want to be a part of Iota Phi Theta if this is what it represents. You have really opened my eyes Dr. Mwatsumi... to a lot. And I'm glad you did. Now I know without the shadow of a doubt that I'm making the right decison. I'm out!

(MARK walks past DWAYNE.)

MARK - Be strong dude.

MARK - See you fellas around.

(Nobody else speaks as MARK leaves and the door closes behind him.)

(silence)

SAIFA - Centaur.

CENTAUR DWAYNE - Yes Big Brother The Man with the Hoof!

SAIFA - Go back into your room and wait for further instructions.

CENTAUR DWAYNE - Yes Big Brother!

(DWAYNE turns and leaves the room... quickly.)

DR. MWATSUMI whispers - Ha ha ha, did you see the look on Dwayne's face? Ha ha ha ha.

(DR. MWATSUMI imitates the look of a scared pledgee.)

DR. MWATSUMI whispers - Oh God... oh God... don't hit me Big Brother! Don't hit me! Ha ha ha ha ha!

(SAM laughs, RAY laughs as well.)

SAIFA - I don't know what the hell you all are laughing at! Colin, I don't find any of this shit funny!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Sigma women, JENNIFER, ROSALIND and ANGELIQUE are looking for the missing Sigma Gamma Rho handbook.

JENNIFER - This is crazy!

ROSALIND - Just keep looking!

JENNIFER - But we've already looked here! And this is disgusting! Why are we looking again?

ROSALIND - Because we may have overlooked! Do you want our private sorority information out there because we didn't look good enough? Now keep looking?

(JENNIFER frowns as she moves another bag of garbage.)

ANGELIQUE - This is crazy! We're in a dumpster!

ROSALIND - Look, the janitor wasn't sure if he had seen it or possible thrown it away. We can't take any chances!

JENNIFER - I'm gonna need two showers!

ANGELIQUE - I'm takin' three!

(They move around more garbage and don't find the handbook.)

ANGELIQUE - This is hopeless! You're gonna have to tell Andy that you lost your book and ask her what to do about it.

JENNIFER - Hell no I aint! She's gonna have a damn fit!

ROSALIND - I would too! You got any other bright ideas?

(ROS and ANGELIQUE are staring at JENNIFER for a response.)

JENNIFER - My choices are tell Andy or keep searching through the trash in a dumpser! I think I'll call Andy.

(They climb out of the dumpster and wipe themselves off.)

ROSALIND - Damn, that was ridiculous!

JENNIFER - I'm so sorry yalll, I don't know how I could've lost the book.

(The other two don't respond and are visibly upset. JENNIFER gets the hint and pulls out her cell phone.)

JENNIFER thinks - Lord help me!

ANDY - Hello?

JENNIFER - Uh... Andrea?... Uh hi. This is... um... Jenny.

ANDY - Hey, Jenny. What's goin' on.

JENNIFER - What's the matter? You sound upset.

ANDY - Huh? Oh, something just happened that I gotta tell you and the other sorors about. Some real foul stuff, but I'll tell yall when we get together.

JENNIFER - Oh.

ANDY - Which may be today!

JENNIFER - Wow, is everything okay?

ANDY - We'll see. I don't know yet.

JENNIFER - Oh.

ANDY - Well anyway, what's up?

JENNIFER - Huh? Oh, what's up. Yeah. Um... Andy, I got something to tell you that's real important.

ANDY - Okay.

JENNIFER - Um... are you sitting down? This is major.

ANDY - Come on Jenn, you know I hate beating around the bush. Just say it.

(silence)

JENNIFER - Andy... I misplaced my sorority handbook. But I'm already on the hunt for it! As a matter of fact, we were all just up in a smelly dumpster looking for it. We thought the janitor may have thrown it away inadvertedly. Ya know. But we'll be sure to find it. I know we will.

ANDY - You did what?

JENNIFER thinks - Oh God.

JENNIFER - I misplaced... my handbook.

(silence)

JENNIFER - Andy?

ANDY - So you're the reason this whole situation is now blown way out of proportion!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SAIFA - I don't know what the hell you all are laughing at! Colin, I don't find any of this shit funny!

(Everyone slows their laughter down and looks at SAIFA who is looking pissed off.)

SAIFA - What the hell was that display about?

DR. MWATSUMI - I was just teasing Saifa. I wasn't going to hit Dwayne. Ha ha ha.

SAIFA - Dr. M, we don't do things like that! That's not funny!

DR. MWATSUMI - I wasn't trying to be humorous Saifa, I can assure you that. I was trying to see where Mark's head was really at. And I can tell that this fraternity no longer interests him. There's nothing we could've done to persuade him otherwise at this point. He is a total lost cause.

SAIFA - So you thought it was smart to tell him you would abuse our other pledgee? Who is probably shaky mentally at best? What kind of logic is that?

DR. MWATSUMI - It's perfect psychology.

SAIFA - No it isn't! It was stupid and dangerous! Just like the stunt you pulled by leaving the pledgees at the Que house. That could've had major repurcussions and someone could've gotten hurt!

DR. MWATSUMI - Saifa, I don't know if I care for the tone in which you are addressing me.

SAIFA - Dr. M, when we're in your office, or on the administration building or whatever, you are Professor Mwatsumi. But in here, you are a neophyte Iota brother. Let me repeat that... ne...o...phyte! That means you listen and you learn and you do what the older brothers show you! I know you're well versed and highly educated and I respect that! But you've been an Iota for ten minutes! Don't come in here tryin' to run shit when you don't know shit!

(Everyone is shocked that SAIFA is using this language in talking to DR. MWATSUMI. Nobody is interrupting.)

SAIFA - Now look, because of our actions and irresponsibilities as big brothers, we lost one good candidate. Now Sean...

SEAN - Uh... yeah?

SAIFA - Sending those two over to the Que house was stupid and irresponsible. You could've gotten them hurt and it could've turned into an upraor on campus between us and the Omegas, like that stupid shit that the Kappas and Alphas just went through!

SEAN - My bad man. It won't happen again.

SAIFA - I need for yall to start thinking man! This aint what Iota Phi Theta is about! This aint what I became an Iota for!

(silence)

(SAIFA looks at everyone, then walks out of the room.)

(silence)

SEAN - He's right. He's absolutely right.

(DR. MWATSUMI leaves and follows SAIFA. He has stepped out of the room and into the hallway.)

DR. MWATSUMI - Saifa, wait my brother.

(SAIFA stops and turns around.)

SAIFA - Yeah Dr. M.

DR. MWATSUMI - I just wanted to apologize for how I behaved back there.

SAIFA - It's okay Colin.

DR. MWATSUMI - If I embarrassed you in any way, I humbly apologize and take back all that I said and did.

SAIFA - It's okay.

DR. MWATSUMI - At the same time however...

(DR. MWATSUMI changes his demeanor.)

DR. MWATSUMI - ...don't ever curse me again.

(silence)

DR. MWATSUMI - Now, what we need to do is go ahead and try to cross Dwayne quickly so Mark will be jealous that he was almost done and didn't know it!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ROBBIE and LEAH are taking a nap together. They are both exhausted from their recent "bedroom" activities. LEAH rolls over which awakens ROBBIE and he looks at the clock on her vcr.

ROBBIE - Oh shit!

LEAH - Huh! What! What!

(ROBBIE sits up and looks at his watch.)

LEAH - What? What's wrong? What happened?

ROBBIE - I gotta go!

(He swings his legs out from under the covers and quickly stands up.)

LEAH - What? Where are you going?

(ROBBIE is looking for his pants.)

ROBBIE - Look at what time it is!

(LEAH looks at her alarm clock.)

LEAH - Five o' clock. So what?

ROBBIE - So what? I gotta meet Tammi out in front of her dance class! I'm gonna be late!

(LEAH just stares at ROBBIE.)

LEAH - You woke me up to tell me you gotta pick up your girl?

(ROBBIE is putting his pants on.)

ROBBIE - Yeah, why? You got a problem with that?

(LEAH sits up in the bed.)

LEAH - Yeah I got a problem with that.

ROBBIE - What?

LEAH - When you with me, it's our time. Not your time with her. She can have her time when she's with you.

ROBBIE - I didn't bring her up when we were hangin' out or foolin' around. I'm bringing it up now because I gotta go. So I guess its transferring back to her time. Ha ha ha ha.

(LEAH doesn't laugh.)

ROBBIE - Are you seriously mad?

LEAH - I'm just sayin'.

ROBBIE - Leah, it aint like you don't know I got a girl. And it aint like I don't know you probably dealin' with somebody else too. You probably still feenin' over that nigga Buck.

LEAH - Nigga please! You a lie!

ROBBIE - Regardless, you know the deal here girl. Why you trippin'?

LEAH - Oh so you just sayin' take it or leave it?

(ROBBIE smiles.)

ROBBIE - Basically.

LEAH - Well then you know what? I'm leavin' it. Get the hell out.

(ROBBIE laughs.)

ROBBIE - Aw come on Leah. I'm just playin' baby. Come on.

LEAH - Naw, hell naw. Cuz that shit wasn't funny, it was hurtful.

ROBBIE - I'm not tryin' to hurt you, which is why I was up front from the very beginning. There wasn't one time that I gave you the impression that I was single. Was it?

(LEAH doesn't answer.)

ROBBIE - So I'm sayin'.

(silence)

LEAH - Just go meet your girl Robbie.

ROBBIE - Look Leah...

LEAH - No more needs to be said Robbie. Just go meet your girl. I understand your points.

ROBBIE - Okay.

(ROBBIE is putting his shoes on.)

ROBBIE - You know I'm not trying to hurt you right?

LEAH - Yeah, I know.

(silence)

LEAH - But that's what you're doing.

(ROBBIE stops tying his shoe and stares at LEAH.)

ROBBIE - I gotta go.

LEAH - Mmmm hmmmm.

ROBBIE - Look, I'll um... call you later... okay?

LEAH - No. Don't call.

(silence)

(ROBBIE turns leave.)

ROBBIE - I'll call you.

(ROBBIE stares back at LEAH as he opens the door to leave.)

ROBBIE - I'll call you.

(LEAH doesn't respond as she watches the door close.)

LEAH thinks - Dammit! Why the hell am I so stupid and keep dealin' with these garbage guys!

(silence)

LEAH thinks - Well no more of that bullshit! Robbie can kiss my ass and so can Buck while Robbie's at it!

(silence)

LEAH thinks - Dammit!

(There is a knock on the door.)

LEAH - Who is it?

ROBBIE - It's Robbie! Open up quick! Quick!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JENNIFER has just admitted to ANDY that she lost her Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority handbook.

JENNIFER - Andy, I misplaced... my handbook.

(silence)

JENNIFER - Andy?

ANDY - So you're the reason this whole situation is now blown way out of proportion!

JENNIFER - Huh?

ANDY - Do you know how much drama that missing handbook is causing?

JENNIFER - Drama? What drama?

(ANDY sounds furious now.)

ANDY - I get a call from Sharonda the Zeta about her cousin dropping off our damn handbook to her house! To a Zeta's house!

JENNIFER - What!

(ROSALIND and ANGELIQUE are looking on.)

ROSALIND - What? What she sayin'?

ANDY - So of course I run over there to get it!

JENNIFER - Oh, thank God!

ANDY - No! You're not out of hot water yet! I get to Sharonda's place, there's no book but two Zetas sitting there taking! They may have conspired to keep the book an extra week and read up on all our stuff!

JENNIFER - Oh my God!

ANDY - So now the book is missing again and Sharonda gives me some story about her cousin who's an AKA from Ahpla! This chick is scandalous and conniving and probably took the book from Sharonda's place!

JENNIFER - What!

ANGELIQUE - What? What?

ANDY - Then, this cousin chick calls Paula talking about her soror Renee tricked her into getting the book! So we should go after her soror Renee!

JENNIFER - What!

ANDY - So I don't know who the hell has our handbook! It went from the hands of Sigmas, to the hands of Zetas and now possibly into the hands of AKAs!

(silence)

ANDY - And come to find out, it's your handbook!

JENNIFER - Andy, I'm real sorry. Really I am!

ANDY - Do you have any idea what you just caused? Do you know what will happen if someone in the regional office finds out that this chapter lost a handbook on campus? Do you know how fast they're gonna suspend us! Do you!

JENNIFER - Andy I'm sorry! How can we track down the book and keep it safe away so this doesn't happen again? I'm so sorry!

ANDY - I don't know what you're gonna do, but I don't trust any AKAs! Not this cousin, not Renee, not Akina, none of 'em! So I'm gonna find our damn handbook!

JENNIFER - What do you want us to do?

ANDY - I want Ros and Angel to call Renee and find out what she knows and call me so I'll know by the time I get to her place.

JENNIFER - Okay and what about me?

ANDY - You...

(ANDY pauses.)

ANDY - You're demoted from your position of treasurer and are hereby on a student suspension within our chapter.

JENNIFER - Wh...what?

ANDY - Don't even think about showing your face at any Sigma events! You're suspended until further notice!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After leaving LEAH's place in a hurry, ROBBIE is already back.

(There is a knock on the door.)

LEAH - Who is it?

ROBBIE - It's Robbie! Open up quick! Quick!

LEAH thinks - Robbie?

LEAH - Robbie? You're back?

(LEAH can't help but to smile as she crawls out of bed to answer the door.)

LEAH - What are you doing back here?

(She asks as she answers the door.)

LEAH -Miss me?

ROBBIE - Yo! Look at this!

(ROBBIE ignores her question and quickly hands her a newspaper.)

LEAH - What the... why you giving me a newspaper?

ROBBIE - Look at the thing on the front page!

(LEAH turns to the front page.)

LEAH reads - Uh... Ahpla University, one of the tops Black colleges for recruitment, social services, and scholarships?

ROBBIE - No! This!

(ROBBIE points to the artice written about the fight between the Alphas and the Kappas.)

ROBBIE - Read this!

LEAH - Read it? Rob I'm too sleepy! Read it to me.

(She lays her head back.)

ROBBIE reads - ...the altercation started when several members of Alpha Phi Alpha approached members of Kappa Alpha Psi in a popular hang out near campus. The two parties involved allege that the Kappas were sitting down talking and the Alphas started to bother the Kappa brothers. Several witnesses claim that the Kappas were highly outnumbered. Although the Kappas tried their best to maintain order, it seems the Alphas were set on initiating a brawl. The fight began and spilled outside of the club and into the parking lot. It turned into one of the worst group fights in school history as several members of the Kappa Alpha Psi chapter were hurt or bruised. The Alphas are under investigation for the incident both by Amgis campus officials and by local authorities.

(silence)

ROBBIE - That's not how the fight went down!

(LEAH sits up.)

LEAH - I know it didn't go down like that, not with all the hot head Kappas at Amgis. I know that aint true.

ROBBIE - Damn, this is messed up!

LEAH - This is the newspaper over at Ahpla?

ROBBIE - Yeah, someone just handed this to me and said I should read this article. I'm pissed!

LEAH - Damn.

(silence)

(ROBBIE continues to read it.)

LEAH - What are you gonna do about it?

(silence)

LEAH - Rob.

ROBBIE - Huh?

(He doesn't look up from The Sands.)

LEAH - Robbie, what are you gonna do about it?

ROBBIE - I don't know just yet. But I do know that this is slander.

LEAH - Yeah.

ROBBIE - And because its against an organization, charges can be filed through the office of internal affairs and the undergraduate board of trustees.

LEAH - Yeah, I think you can do that. So what, do they print a retraction or something?

ROBBIE - I'm not sure.

(ROBBIE reads more.)

ROBBIE - But I know one thing...

(ROBBIE crumples up the paper and puts it under his arm.)

ROBBIE - ...I don't know this Xavier dude, but he's mad partial to the Kappas. I would hope for his sake that he isn't one!

No comments: